Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a question for the experts here.

I'm working on this basket-case 32" 924-series I bought, and when I spun the drive plate that mates with the rubber disc to drive the wheels, I noticed the drive plate seemed to wobble a bit. So I put a dial indicator on it and it does in fact have about 0.030" axial runout. By "axial", I mean in the fore-aft axis of the machine - in other words nearer and farther from the rubber disc.

Well no problem I said to myself, I've got another one. So I gave it a spin and it wobbled too! Worse than the other one - it's got about 0.040" runout.

Is that something they all do or did I just luck out and get two bad ones?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Isn't it attached to a bearing that might instigate the wobbling, Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is, two bearings in fact. But I just replaced both of them.

Genuine Ariens bearings made in China. :(

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
It is, two bearings in fact. But I just replaced both of them.

Genuine Ariens bearings made in China. :(

Another thought then would be the shaft if it doesn't wobble. Again just thinking without much research.Good Luck

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'll admit it's a little hard to tell if it's the actual plate or the shaft that's off. But each plate is on its own shaft, so it's two of "something" that have a problem.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Yeah I'll admit it's a little hard to tell if it's the actual plate or the shaft that's off. But each plate is on its own shaft, so it's two of "something" that have a problem.
I would concentrate on one aspect at a time, either shaft or plate.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey just to "close the loop" on this in case anyone's interested... it turns out that I did in fact have two bent drive plates.

I bought another on ebay, screwed it onto the shaft, and it spins with pretty much no runout! :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
I was just about to comment. Just serviced our 67 10m and there was no noticeable wobble while turning the wheels.

So that plate screws on the shaft?

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, and it's a reverse thread! Which the service manual fails to mention.

It's also super-hard to get off when the pulley nut is tight... if you loosen that nut the plate can be broken loose with (a lot of) hand pressure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts