Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching this old house. and Tom had this colored sticky paper. for marking the location of electrical boxes on the back of drywall. for the cut out. and as we all know they never tell you what it is called or even where you can get the stuff. does any 1 know what it is called. and where to get the stuff. or is all the drywall dust making me see things that are not real.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
248 Posts
or just use colored powder, like the blue stuff you put in a chaulk line and dab it on the box and press the sheet on it.
last time i had to sheetrock my neighbor loaned be a little hand held router with a special bit for sheetrock. find the outside of box and just cut it out.
better than marking a piece and than haveing to turn it around to see the mark and makes a perfect fit much easier

·
Registered
61 Posts
not sure of the name but could it be Frogtape or Powershift93 use an old lipstick and put on edges of electrical outlet box then place drywall sheet and gently tap around where your outlet is on the drywall sheet then you should have the marking of where to cut for the outlet

·
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not sure of the name but could it be Frogtape or Powershift93 use an old lipstick and put on edges of electrical outlet box then place drywall sheet and gently tap around where your outlet is on the drywall sheet then you should have the marking of where to cut for the outlet
yeah I had not thought about lipstick. and we all know that will be taken out of context here.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
or just use colored powder, like the blue stuff you put in a chaulk line and dab it on the box and press the sheet on it.
last time i had to sheetrock my neighbor loaned be a little hand held router with a special bit for sheetrock. find the outside of box and just cut it out.
better than marking a piece and than haveing to turn it around to see the mark and makes a perfect fit much easier
that blue powder is not a bad idea either.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Hey Todd,
Just measure. It's not hard a'tall. Little slower than the tape or whatever but you're not on production.:)

·
Registered
248 Posts
just make sure you measure correct or you'l wind up cutting a hole no where the box is. been there. a sheetrock router is the way to go but unless you use it a lot it's probably not worth it. i think my friend paid around $200 for it.

·
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just make sure you measure correct or you'l wind up cutting a hole no where the box is. been there. a sheetrock router is the way to go but unless you use it a lot it's probably not worth it. i think my friend paid around $200 for it.
I got a dremel does that count???????????

·
Registered
248 Posts
maybey. this tool is made to cut sheetrock around drop lights, electric boxes, etc. it definitly wasn't a dremel rotary tool but you could probly use one. the bit looks like a regular drill bit but has different pattern on it.
this particular tool has a flat surface that makes it easier to plunge and scroll around the box . not even sure what it's called but i call it a sheetrock router. think it was bosch
that or blue powder

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Sir PS, are you watching TOH/ATOH that on yootoob...? One of my favorite shows too. :)

IF you watch them instead on thisoldhouse.com (or for reference but they have the newer shows up too!), there is a tab at the top of the page "Episode & Product Info". Clicky that and it will take you to a listing by season and episode, if you then clicky again on the proper one it will give details of the goods employed therein. In this case Season 9 Episode 6, here is the 'droid you're looking for:

Mark-n-Cut™ Transfer Sheets
Manufacturer: Mark-n-Cut™ LLC
862-209-1531

:D

Wipe that grin off edit, I just noticed their site is down... :(

Get 'em here on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Mark-n-Cut-Mark-Cut-Transfer-Sheets/dp/B00SJPYK9U

·
Registered
465 Posts
maybey. this tool is made to cut sheetrock around drop lights, electric boxes, etc. it definitly wasn't a dremel rotary tool but you could probly use one. the bit looks like a regular drill bit but has different pattern on it.
It's called a drywall router. They're sometimes known by the trade name Rotozip but other companies including DeWalt make them.

·
Registered
646 Posts
From that same site , this helps when your aim is way off ;)

How to Patch around an electrical box on drywall « Construction & Repair

I've only used the measure , mark , dbl check method . Cut the openings a little over sized , 1/8 " or so on all 4 sides . Trim a bit if needed when you put the sheet up.
After all sheets are up , Durabond 45 fills any bad gaps but that is for the next step ;)

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
A Dremel will work fine. But I grew up using the old fashioned drywall saw and utility knife method. Measure twice, cut once. Always has worked for me. I mean, think about it. It ain't rocket science. :D
Just stick a Rotozip® bit in your Dremel. But, it only works one direction.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts