Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a new 28" deluxe + and trying to figure out the auto turn. Do you just try to turn it and it engages or is there a trick?

Also, this is my first snowblower, and for $1300, I figured I wouldn't have to fight her to keep a straight line while blowing snow. Is this normal? I'm 26 and in very good shape, I'm not complaining but confused as to why I have to fight this beast so much.

·
Registered
571 Posts
If it's like my Cub, you pull the level on either side and it disengages that wheel, so it rotates freely. Then the other wheel that is left with power will push the blower towards that direction.
You could turn it yourself, let the blower turn itself, or assist it by hand with turning.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
The auto turn is suppose to be completely automatic. There are lots of threads debating it. Some love it and some hate it. The group that hates it is mostly because of the wandering issue and having to fight to keep things going straight. There are several threads with different fixes for it. Check your skids, maybe replace them with bigger or plastic ones, check your tire pressure, check your tire diameter and make sure your auger housing is square. There are probably some other fixes people have posted as well.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I have a new 28" deluxe + and trying to figure out the auto turn. Do you just try to turn it and it engages or is there a trick?

Also, this is my first snowblower, and for $1300, I figured I wouldn't have to fight her to keep a straight line while blowing snow.
Far from a dumb question as when properly set you just need to apply some side pressure even with one hand only however the biggest fix to keep it going straight is installing Armor skids and the unit will perform as intended. There is also a video to make sure the snow blower is correctly assembled. :

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow thanks for the quick responses! I will test it tonight when I prep the machine for tomorrows big storm.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Updating to Armor or poly skids is the number one improvement option.
I honestly can't understand why ariens doesn't just ship with better skids.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Updating to Armor or poly skids is the number one improvement option.
I switched to the ArmorSkids on my 2014 Ariens Platinum 24 SHO and it
smoothed things up considerably, compared to the stock skid shoes.

I've been fortunate with my Auto Turn, only experiencing a little "fish tailing" with the stock skids and
that was when "off roading," which in my case means when I was doing very uneven areas of the yard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
After my dealings with the auto turn, I think it is a traction issue along with the balance of the engine over the wheels and the weight on the bucket.

If either on of the tires slips, the auto turn engages and thus the fishtailing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I just "tested" it with a few turns in the driveway before the storm, turned automatically this time.... not sure what I was doing last snow storm but I should be good to go now!

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I have found that speed of the turn can affect if the auto turn kicks in or not.

If I try to flip a 180 in a higher gear, say 3rd or higher, the pivot tire will keep spinning and I have to pull back on the handle bar on the pivot wheel side harder in order to get the auto turn to kick in.

If I do the same in a lower gear, the pivot wheel will catch and stop rotating.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have found that speed of the turn can affect if the auto turn kicks in or not.

If I try to flip a 180 in a higher gear, say 3rd or higher, the pivot tire will keep spinning and I have to pull back on the handle bar on the pivot wheel side harder in order to get the auto turn to kick in.

If I do the same in a lower gear, the pivot wheel will catch and stop rotating.
I think this was my problem, I was trying to turn was to fast :)

Bring it on Juno!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts