Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a 724 Sno Tek today. Starts and runs fine until the auger begins to engage, then it dies. It really seems like the engine just stops firing. I checked the auger and impeller and both turn as they should. I'm saying this. You just very quickly engage and disengage, a matter of a split second and shuts down. Doesn't try to keep running. It's like some type of kill switch closes. It starts right back up and runs fine. The tractor works well.

Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I looked at a 724 Sno Tek today. Starts and runs fine until the auger begins to engage, then it dies. It really seems like the engine just stops firing. I checked the auger and impeller and both turn as they should. I'm saying this. You just very quickly engage and disengage, a matter of a split second and shuts down. Doesn't try to keep running. It's like some type of kill switch closes. It starts right back up and runs fine. The tractor works well.

Any ideas anyone?
Was the throttle position at rabbit position? Because engines don't have much power at idling. If your engine wasn't running right, it didn't have the power to keep it up. It happened to me before so I know.

Take the belt out so you can check for the pulleys and everything else. If some thing seized, it would rob too much power from the engine, causing it to die.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Any ideas anyone?
Check for engine oil as well.

And most importantly, you might have a broken auger gear box. It is a very common problem that would cause an engine to die. I know you have tested rotating it, but you probably did do it thoroughly.

Be careful. Take the spark plug out anytime you put your hand in there.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
The only Ariens I can recall having a safety shutoff for the auger was the twin stick 924's....they had a 7 hp model # 924026 this isn't one of those by chance?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Govenor not compensating for the additional load.

When you engage the auger, the belt grabs and introduces an impulse shock to the existing system load. If the govenor cannot respond immediately, the engine quickly becomes overloaded and the timing is too retarded to maintain the additional load.

Might also check the spark plug. Gap too wide may be blowing out under load.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does it die quick or slowly loose power

It loses power instantly. It acts like a kill switch has stopped it. It's pretty strange acting.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Micah....you sure you got a SnowTec and not a Snowthro? The Snowthro's from the 70's have a shutoff for the auger that you can disconnect or tape the handle closed on the right handlebar

·
Registered
336 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I engaged the auger control and pulled the rope. It turns as I pull it. I made sure the auger made a couple complete revolutions but it does act just as if it had a kill switch.

·
Registered
183 Posts
What happened when you engaged in drive? That would help ruling out things.

I the past, Ariens had a problem with the chute deflector cable catching the engine kill switch electrical wire when in used. That caused the engine to surge and die.

The idle jet on the carb is used when there is no load on the engine. The main jet is used when there is load on the engine (auger and drive engaged). Even though, your engine is appearing to run fine, it might not be so.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's all pointless now. Machine got sold.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts