Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
I would dismantle the carb and give it a thorough cleaning and check the condition of the various bits. It is a spare, so perfect candidate to play with.

I also use my old restored Ariens machines during the winter, they would be upset if I didn't.

Tech carb manual

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
btw, i mounted the offending carb on the donor engine. should i open it up and give it a go. never tried to rebuilt one.
Yes, a good spare OEM carb is always good to have. I have not had luck with those cheap aftermarket carbs at all. You get what you pay for. I had an h70, I payed $50 for a higher end after market carb from stens and it still, popped, crackled and missed. It was adjustable. I returned it, got an OEM replacement for $64.99 only 15 more than that after market one. As soon as I bolted it up, the engine ran perfect again, just like it was supposed too. It was about the 5th time I had learned my lesson. So now when it comes to the carburetor, I go OEM or nothing. The carburetor is too important, it is what mixes the air and fuel to make the engine run correctly. They have to be made precise or it will not work right. I have also seen on the aftermarket ones where the o rings, fuel fittings and on ones with a fuel pump fail after less than a year. So I do it right the first time always now.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've tried several aftermarket carbs on several different engines. Briggs, Tecumseh. Kohler. They all stumbled, surged and backfired. Their all made in China anyway weather its the 15 one or the 50 one. Because that same one I ordered from stens for 50, was selling for $30 by its part number from another seller that wasn't marked as stens, I ordered it and checked, they were Identical, neither worked, both were returned. Stopped messing around and ordered the OEM one. The last one I just tried one on on the spring was a Tecumseh HSK70. The carb that was on the engine when I got it was a chinese knockoff. It leaked and ran terrible. I tried that one from Stens, it to ran piss poor. I tried that same carb from another source cheaper, same result.
I got the OEM Tecumseh for $64.99 which is a great price for one and the engine ran perfect. I turned around and sold that engine for $250 plus shipping just last week. Its going on a minibike. Working on small engine power equipment for a living, I learned very quickly, those aftermarket knockoffs are 15 paperweights. No good! You get what you pay for. I will never waste my time on one again.
Even when you do get one that works halfway descent it doesn't last. Picked up a Tractor a month back, with a Briggs Opposed Twin, it had an aftermarket carb. The fuel pump on that carb, stopped working after less than 1 year. I threw an OEM one on, engine ran and ran perfect. I'm all for saving money, especially on machines I'm flipping, but if the machine will not run right, you can't sell it and if you do, not for as much as if it ran properly, smooth at high speed, under load, no load, at idle, all ranges. On my personal equipment, forget it, I wouldn't be caught dead with one of those aftermarket carbs on any of my machines engines. The carburetor is too important too go cheap on. Buy it once, do it right. Most carbs can be saved and rebuilt anyway which is cheaper than those 15 paperweights, if it can't ta gotta go oem, a one time investment. Try saving money up front, it costs you later. I want something reliable that will last. I tried it 10 times, it took that many times to learn my lesson. Go OEM. Theirs plenty of guys on YouTube who also work on power equipment for a living who have arrived at the same conclusion. You can take my advice or any of theirs, since I've already wasted the time and money learning this lesson the hardway, or go ahead and roll the dice anyway. Rebuild kits, good used OEM carburetors that are returnable if its no good, or good deals on OEM ones, their out their.
Only 1 time, I got a 6hp Tecumseh HSK60 on a Toro 624 that my buddy put one of those same stens carbs on which are also available under Oregan and the engine ran right. It was a fluke. Every single other time I tried one, it was a fail, unfortunately. I cant stand an engine that surges. Thats my conclusion on aftermarkets after several attempts over the last few years. Good luck! Thats all it is with them, luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i'm revisiting a spring purchase Ariens 10ML60D. After cosmetic improvements, i could not get it to start. lots of fuel was pouring out of the carb area. i mothballed it until now. i would like to get it up and running well. i just put fuel in the tank, opened the fuel shut off, put the choke on, and primed the recoil. i noticed a lot of fuel dripping. took a look, and it appears to at least be pouring out of a tiny hole on the left side of the carburetor in an area. a very narrow view, so my pic is not very good.

in the spring i thought fuel was pouring out the choke opening (and there may be other leak points), but this was a little geyser. don't know what the purpose of that little hole is. should pull the whole carb, rebuild it, replace it? i don't have great faith in the quality of the super cheap chinese carbs, though i don't yet know if new OE is available.

appreciate the help/insight.
Over priming will allow fuel to escape out of the carb vent, that is normal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've tried several aftermarket carbs on several different engines. Briggs, Tecumseh. Kohler. They all stumbled, surged and backfired. Their all made in China anyway weather its the 15 one or the 50 one. Because that same one I ordered from stens for 50, was selling for $30 by its part number from another seller that wasn't marked as stens, I ordered it and checked, they were Identical, neither worked, both were returned. Stopped messing around and ordered the OEM one. The last one I just tried one on on the spring was a Tecumseh HSK70. The carb that was on the engine when I got it was a chinese knockoff. It leaked and ran terrible. I tried that one from Stens, it to ran piss poor. I tried that same carb from another source cheaper, same result.
I got the OEM Tecumseh for $64.99 which is a great price for one and the engine ran perfect. I turned around and sold that engine for $250 plus shipping just last week. Its going on a minibike. Working on small engine power equipment for a living, I learned very quickly, those aftermarket knockoffs are 15 paperweights. No good! You get what you pay for. I will never waste my time on one again.
Even when you do get one that works halfway descent it doesn't last. Picked up a Tractor a month back, with a Briggs Opposed Twin, it had an aftermarket carb. The fuel pump on that carb, stopped working after less than 1 year. I threw an OEM one on, engine ran and ran perfect. I'm all for saving money, especially on machines I'm flipping, but if the machine will not run right, you can't sell it and if you do, not for as much as if it ran properly, smooth at high speed, under load, no load, at idle, all ranges. On my personal equipment, forget it, I wouldn't be caught dead with one of those aftermarket carbs on any of my machines engines. The carburetor is too important too go cheap on. Buy it once, do it right. Most carbs can be saved and rebuilt anyway which is cheaper than those 15 paperweights, if it can't ta gotta go oem, a one time investment. Try saving money up front, it costs you later. I want something reliable that will last. I tried it 10 times, it took that many times to learn my lesson. Go OEM. Theirs plenty of guys on YouTube who also work on power equipment for a living who have arrived at the same conclusion. You can take my advice or any of theirs, since I've already wasted the time and money learning this lesson the hardway, or go ahead and roll the dice anyway. Rebuild kits, good used OEM carburetors that are returnable if its no good, or good deals on OEM ones, their out their.
Only 1 time, I got a 6hp Tecumseh HSK60 on a Toro 624 that my buddy put one of those same stens carbs on which are also available under Oregan and the engine ran right. It was a fluke. Every single other time I tried one, it was a fail, unfortunately. I cant stand an engine that surges. Thats my conclusion on aftermarkets after several attempts over the last few years. Good luck! Thats all it is with them, luck.
Some of the carbs are made for different engines as well as your model. When surging occurs the main jet must be drilled out larger. Use the carburetor jet drills do not use the drills in a drill motor they will break. First size larger did not work go to the next until engine runs well.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts