Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to replace the brushes on this Toro but can't figure out how to remove the red cover for access because it looks like the wheels need to be removed to allow it to slide off the axle supports.
It appears there's a one way cover clip on the end of the aluminum axle that holds the plastic wheels on and I don't see any way to remove it.
I can't see how they would have designed something where the access cover is not removable for maintenance purposes so there must be something I'm missing.
Has anyone ever had to open this up before?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Luckily I havent had to delve deep into mine as yet, but I too have made note that (you're right) they do indeed involve plenty of labour to get 'into' the heart of the machine.
However, I look at it as, if they put it together, it can/will come apart, even tho it may be slow and tedious process.
I did a quick site search as I thought someone had already done a brush replacement post?

·
Registered
718 Posts
All I can suggest is to start with the side panels, use a good fitting phillips screwdriver so the heads dont get ruined.
On the pulley side, there are (2 I believe) left hand thread bolts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The red cover is held captive by the wheels, so they need to be removed to allow it to slide off. Problem is that the retainers for the wheels resisted my best efforts to remove them-
They look like a press on one way spring retainer cap, but I can't even get them to spin on the axle, almost seems like it's just part of the axle itself.

·
Registered
718 Posts
press on one way spring retainer cap
Yeah, they're grief bringers. Tip the machine on its side, I'd work away at splitting the retainer from the top hat with a small, sharp chisel, (its the only way I know of when you cant get to them). Once its loosened to some degree, try prying the retainer with a small slot screw driver, then I'd work on pounding the wheel from behind all while trying not to ruin it. The tophat retainers can be purchased at most any hardware store.
Once you get one off the axle assembly should slide out the otherside.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The side covers only allow access to the belts, and the red cover blocks removal of the bottom brush as the motor needs to be removed to get to it.
I can pull the cover away enough to peek through and work on the top brush, but it's going to be much easier once I can get the things off entirely.
I'm considering simply cutting slots in the red cover to allow it to slide past the axle supports.
I just can't imagine the design doesn't allow removal of the cover though.
The one piece red cover just won't come off without sliding it off the axle supports though.
Later versions apparently are different, because people have in fact replaced brushes on those. This one doesn't have any history or evidence anyone's done that, based on my exhaustive YouTube search🙃

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

One piece red cover..
So I was thinking I'll simply cut the plastic a bit at the openings to the edge, and that would allow it to be slid sideways past the supports rather than off, since the wheels aren't removable.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Another option would be to cut the axle shaft itself if you're able to find another piece of matching stock.
OR, there's enough wheel play that it could easily be welded back together once done.

·
Registered
718 Posts
If you place a piece of 2 x 4 fitting tightly between the axle supports to brace, try a small diameter center punch and pound the center of the tophat on one wheel. Looking at mine, those retainers arent on the shaft all that far. They can be stubborn little items, in reality it 'should' pop off while the axle is being punched towards the machines other side.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do you suppose the wheel and axle brackets are welded or bolted to the handlebar? Never have seen one of these but I would suspect that the plastic cover would not be strong enough to hold/support the wheel/axle assembly. Can you remove the screws that are along the bottom and remove it all as an assembly, and then take off the red plastic cover?
To remove that kind of axle cap, it works easiest to split them. Can you get a hacksaw blade in the hole in the wheel and just saw a vertical groove in them? That would release the tension and even a saw scratch on the axle wouldn't keep the new ones from working.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yeah, they're grief bringers. Tip the machine on its side, I'd work away at splitting the retainer from the top hat with a small, sharp chisel, (its the only way I know of when you cant get to them). Once its loosened to some degree, try prying the retainer with a small slot screw driver, then I'd work on pounding the wheel from behind all while trying not to ruin it. The tophat retainers can be purchased at most any hardware store.
Once you get one off the axle assembly should slide out the otherside.
I suppose I could take a Dremel to it to cut out the offending tophat push nut retainer, but that's a lot of work. I figured it was just retained by spring catches grabbing the aluminum axle, but it was immovable even with a tight grip using needle nose locking pliers trying to spin it. That made me wonder if it was something other than a simple clip retainer.
Lacking any other proper methods, I think my best bet will be to hacksaw a slot in the cover wide enough to pull it past the axle support.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you suppose the wheel and axle brackets are welded or bolted to the handlebar? Never have seen one of these but I would suspect that the plastic cover would not be strong enough to hold/support the wheel/axle assembly. Can you remove the screws that are along the bottom and remove it all as an assembly, and then take off the red plastic cover?
To remove that kind of axle cap, it works easiest to split them. Can you get a hacksaw blade in the hole in the wheel and just saw a vertical groove in them? That would release the tension and even a saw scratch on the axle wouldn't keep the new ones from working.
The clearance in the plastic wheel around the top hat is really small, the needle nose vise grips was all I could use to get any purchase on it. Not designed for removal I guess.

The red plastic cover doesn't support the wheels at all, it's just that they cleverly or not have the supports going through it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Another option would be to cut the axle shaft itself if you're able to find another piece of matching stock.
OR, there's enough wheel play that it could easily be welded back together once done.
That was my original thought, and sleeving it to reuse it. It's such a light load on the wheels it probably wouldn't be that big a deal, but then figured a cosmetic hack (cover cut) might be preferable to a structural one.
I'd expect I could just slit the plastic and it should flex enough to get it past the supports. Then a bit of tape would be all that's needed to restore the hermetic seal they have going on it 😉. The cover has those cooling vents that pretty much allow all the snow to pass freely in to the motor. I figure that's what furthered the corrosion of the copper conductors of the brushes on mine, soaking in the snow and brine after use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What's the model number? Toro has diagrams for disassembly.
Go to Parts – 1800 Power Curve Snowthrower | Toro and click on parts for diagrams.

Edit: Looks like the wheels are secured onto the axle by a push-nut. They are one time use, so the push-nuts will have to be replaced once removed.

Font Auto part Drawing Line art Technical drawing

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What's the model number? Toro has diagrams for disassembly.
Go to Parts – 1800 Power Curve Snowthrower | Toro and click on parts for diagrams.

View attachment 188293
That particular parts breakdown is for the later models, as shown by the larger diameter wheels. The one on mine has the older hockey puck plastic wheels-

I looked up mine on the web link you provided,
and on the parts breakdown it shows
32112-1 PUSHNUT-CAP, WASHER 2 $4.8
So that is the way it attaches the wheel, just the two push nuts. Just can't get them off very easily is all.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts