Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Model 926068 hydro pro EFI model, only 7 months old. Went to start it in the shed a few days ago and it was dead. I followed the service manual troubleshooting and deduced that the fuel pump is dead. LED flash code is 27 (low/no fuel pressure), and there is 7.8VDC at the fuel pump terminals with the ignition switch on. No sound or pressure from the fuel pump.
Next question is should I replace it myself or have the dealer do it since it is only 7 months old and only has about 2 hours use on it. If it is an easy fix I would rather do it myself for convenience sake since since the dealer will likely charge for transporting it back and forth. Anyone know what is involved in replacing the fuel pump, it appears to be inaccessible without removing the fuel tank and I am not sure what that involves either at first glance. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
probably best to contact the dealer. i would assume if it is covered under warranty they should cover the cost of transporting it. there is also a good chance that they won't give you the new pump free of charge if you are doing the work yourself or blame you and not warranty fix anything in the future if something does go wrong. this is probably the best time of year to get it looked at. definitely beating the winter rush

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, good point on the future warranty coverage. I just called the dealer, its $50 round trip transport fee. Considering the distance, I'm ok with that since I have no way to get it there on my own. Hopefully the new pump lasts more than a few hours this time, LOL. I hate to have it die in a storm.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
with how new the technology is it is better safe than sorry to have the dealer check/service it especially if it is still under warranty. minus well let the warranty cover the parts/labor cost especially with what any fuel injected machine costs. i would have hoped it would also cover transport fee but you never know. i guess dealers have to make money of some sort since i doubt warranty work pays too good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
with how new the technology is it is better safe than sorry to have the dealer check/service it especially if it is still under warranty. minus well let the warranty cover the parts/labor cost especially with what any fuel injected machine costs. i would have hoped it would also cover transport fee but you never know. i guess dealers have to make money of some sort since i doubt warranty work pays too good.
They are picking it up this weekend to take it back to the shop, I'll let you know what they find in case anyone else has the same problem. I am 99% sure it is the fuel pump from the the troubleshooting that I did per the service manual but we will see. I wish Ariens could just send me the fuel pump but I understand their reluctance to trust an "untrained" person to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is battery voltage. Does starter crank over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The battery is good, freshly charged. Voltage at the fuel pump is about 8 VDC with igntion on, which is what it should be. The trouble code LED is flashing "2-7" which is low/no fuel pressure per the manual. There is fuel in the tank, no kinked fuel lines, no blockage in the fuel filter. With ignition on, there is no sound from the pump at all and no pressure. All indications are pointing to the fuel pump, hopefully the dealer will find the same.

In case anyone else can use it, here is a link to the service manual for the EFI models. The EFI troubleshooting section is towards the end.

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/05136630B.pdf

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
did you drain the fuel tank and run the tank dry after its last use? electric fuel pumps are pretty sensitive. i would almost wonder if you need to run some 2 stroke gas through the pump at the end of the season as long as there is no o2 sensor on it. the fuel pump used on it looks similar to what is used in cars and they hate sitting dry and it would never hurt to keep them lubed in the off season but may want to consult the dealer and see if they have suggestions.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I would never buy a Machine that can have these types of Problems. Each to their own.

Reactions: ST1100A and Town

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
did you drain the fuel tank and run the tank dry after its last use? electric fuel pumps are pretty sensitive. i would almost wonder if you need to run some 2 stroke gas through the pump at the end of the season as long as there is no o2 sensor on it. the fuel pump used on it looks similar to what is used in cars and they hate sitting dry and it would never hurt to keep them lubed in the off season but may want to consult the dealer and see if they have suggestions.
Geez, I hope they're not that sensitive! I've heard suggestions to run the injectors dry during the off-season, as they can suffer from fuel degradation clogging. If people need to run the injectors dry, and keep 2-stroke gas in the fuel pump, for storage, then this may get interesting :)

thehappening, I hope this is just a 1-off fluke, and the machine gets back to reliable service! Sorry you have to pay for transport.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
injectors don't care as far as i can tell. fuel pump clear them out the first time you pressurize the system and the injector fire. fuel pumps on the other hand don't like being run dry and sitting dry especially when exposed to ethanol fuel. they like to lock up when they sit dry after being exposed to fuel. i know i have had a few automotive pumps that i have pulled from tanks and let sit till i needed them and always dead when i needed them. fuel pumps left sitting in bad fuel for 2+ years even with some water in the tank and they work just fine pumping out 60+psi still. from now on if i pull a pump i will pump some oil through them before tossing them in storage since fuel pumps are not cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Geez, I hope they're not that sensitive! I've heard suggestions to run the injectors dry during the off-season, as they can suffer from fuel degradation clogging. If people need to run the injectors dry, and keep 2-stroke gas in the fuel pump, for storage, then this may get interesting :)

thehappening, I hope this is just a 1-off fluke, and the machine gets back to reliable service! Sorry you have to pay for transport.
Thanks, hoping for the fluke too. I am assuming it is not a widespread issue or there would be a lot more people discussing this sort of failure. Anything can fail, especially something this new if it is a defective part from the factory. I know everyone has their own preferences, but I will take EFI any day for long term reliability. For every story like this, I can tell you 10 stories from experience over the years with carb machines not starting. I have a tractor, snowmobile, 2 motorcycles, multiple cars, a generator and ALL are fuel injected. Never had one problem with any of them starting aside from this. I just wish Ariens would have trusted my troubleshooting and sent me the part so I could just replace it myself without transporting the machine. Its a 20 minute job at best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
injectors don't care as far as i can tell. fuel pump clear them out the first time you pressurize the system and the injector fire. fuel pumps on the other hand don't like being run dry and sitting dry especially when exposed to ethanol fuel. they like to lock up when they sit dry after being exposed to fuel. i know i have had a few automotive pumps that i have pulled from tanks and let sit till i needed them and always dead when i needed them. fuel pumps left sitting in bad fuel for 2+ years even with some water in the tank and they work just fine pumping out 60+psi still. from now on if i pull a pump i will pump some oil through them before tossing them in storage since fuel pumps are not cheap.
definitely, sitting dry is not a good thing for anything with gaskets/seals

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Yea, these fandangles on a machine, don't need them, took off my electric start because of that and now I pull it, all 25hp of it, sometimes I put it in gear and push start it, then I decided to put a crank on it, No not to start it, to turn the auger, forget the engine and putting gas in it, strong like horse, when the horse died I had to plow the field....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the machine back from the service center and it was in fact the fuel pump that died with only a few hours of use on it. All covered under warranty. A little concerning that it failed, but I guess it is better to find it in September than in a blizzard. This time, LOL.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Got the machine back from the service center and it was in fact the fuel pump that died with only a few hours of use on it. All covered under warranty. A little concerning that it failed, but I guess it is better to find it in September than in a blizzard. This time, LOL.
Glad they got it fixed up for you. Wow, just a few hours on the old pump. Will we see EFI to carb conversion kits for these one day? :surprise:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
i am pretty sure you can already get efi conversion kits. the bigger decision is whether it is worth the extra $500 or so for no real improvement in performance. while they don't usually get gummed up fuel pumps don't like sitting for long periods of time without running especially since they started adding ethanol.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Aftermarket kits yes, I was more thinking of Ariens/LCT offering the parts to convert older AX engines . . . I'm giving serious thought to seeing how bad I would get killed trading my less than year old Plat 24 for the EFI version . . (would have bought that in the first place, had any been stocked . . . ).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts