Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EGO will be introducing a new two stage electric. Pretty light duty, as you'd expect. I'd guess it is equivalent to 5 HP, if that. Looks to have a differential. Large tires but small intake and auger.

The web page appears to be gone now. Personally I'm not a fan of EGO. But I think it's clear that this is the direction things are going so it will be interesting to see if Toro can respond with their 60V Flex-Force system, and if Ariens and others can respond at all.

·
Registered
370 Posts
EGO will be introducing a new two stage electric. Pretty light duty, as you'd expect. I'd guess it is equivalent to 5 HP, if that. Looks to have a differential. Large tires but small intake and auger.

The web page appears to be gone now. Personally I'm not a fan of EGO. But I think it's clear that this is the direction things are going so it will be interesting to see if Toro can respond with their 60V Flex-Force system, and if Ariens and others can respond at all.
Actually they've got it ass backwards. Ariens already tried this with their AMP series, they worked but they were god awful expensive for what you got, and the battery technology is just not there, I don't even think it is now either, nor may it ever be. People have converted them to universal lithium (the rectanlge ones) but they cost $2000 (rich folk's stuff). You pay for what you get I suppose. It's one thing to power little hand tools that need bursts of power for short intermittent duration, It's a whole different thing to run yard equipment for an hour straight in sub zero temps. Can it be done? Yes kinda, Can it be done well enough for commercial guys to switch? I don't think so. If you want the benefits of electric motors in powerful lawn and garden machines, use a cord. Not only will it be much cheaper, but you won't be tied to some soon to be obsolete platform designed with planned obsolescence.
Gasoline works because it contains enormous amounts of BTU's in a lightweight compact liquid form, that and it's widely available, and the cost is so low that it's negligible. It's the maintenance and wear that gets you (and that's not totally eliminated with electrics).

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
i have heard ego make some pretty good products. i have heard good things about the snow joe 2 stage machines. i could see batteries being a bit of an issue and maybe not quite being there yet but ego have been doing some pretty cool stuff with batteries. they got a 28AH backpack battery to run there tools. it is more so a commercial thing especially with the price tag that is on it but it is still cool that they are trying it. if companies don't put stuff like this out there they will never learn how to improve them and make better machines for the future.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i have heard ego make some pretty good products. i have heard good things about the snow joe 2 stage machines. i could see batteries being a bit of an issue and maybe not quite being there yet but ego have been doing some pretty cool stuff with batteries. they got a 28AH backpack battery to run there tools. it is more so a commercial thing especially with the price tag that is on it but it is still cool that they are trying it. if companies don't put stuff like this out there they will never learn how to improve them and make better machines for the future.
Yeah $1300 for the backpack ...1. you have to wear a back pack all day, can you say back sweat? 2. They say 1000 charge cycles, so what's that, a buck thirty a charge over the cost of the actual electricity? 3. With gas you get consistent power every time as long as you have good spark, air/fuel delivery, and compression. Will a battery pack have the same power delivery on the 800th charge cycle as it does when brand new (everything is great when brand new). 4. Will they still make that $500 control board in 5 years or will it be NLA like everything else made overseas? 6. They know you know the battery will wear out, what else will wear out that they aren't telling you, and can the average garage mechanic troubleshoot why it's a statue?

Just a few questions people ought to ask themselves before dropping a large wad of cash.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Just a few questions people ought to ask themselves before dropping a large wad of cash.
at what point did i say the system was perfect? i agree that the batteries may need some work but they are getting better all the time. 50lbs of lithium ion batteries will outperform 50lbs of lead acid batteries. stuff will just get cheaper as they figure out better ways to make it or improve the formula or technology. i know my brushless drill with lithium ion battery out performs a brushed motor drill with ni-cad or ni-mh batteries and charge way quicker. the technology will get there eventually.

·
Registered
370 Posts
at what point did i say the system was perfect?
You didn't and I never said you did
50lbs of lithium ion batteries will outperform 50lbs of lead acid batteries.
The RER AMP needs 200lbs of lead for a 34 inch cut, about 100lbs for the snowblower version.... or convert that to dollars when replacing with Lithium
stuff will just get cheaper as they figure out better ways to make it
Perhaps, but rare earth is rare earth, and at this point I doubt it will ever get cheap enough.
i know my brushless drill with lithium ion battery out performs a brushed motor drill with ni-cad or ni-mh batteries and charge way quicker.
As already pointed out, you don't run your power sipping hand tools for an hour straight lifting tons of frozen water in sub zero temps
the technology will get there eventually.
Perhaps, but it won't be with Lithium battery technology

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually they've got it ass backwards. Ariens already tried this with their AMP series, they worked but they were god awful expensive for what you got, and the battery technology is just not there, I don't even think it is now either, nor may it ever be. People have converted them to universal lithium (the rectanlge ones) but they cost $2000 (rich folk's stuff). You pay for what you get I suppose. It's one thing to power little hand tools that need bursts of power for short intermittent duration, It's a whole different thing to run yard equipment for an hour straight in sub zero temps. Can it be done? Yes kinda, Can it be done well enough for commercial guys to switch? I don't think so. If you want the benefits of electric motors in powerful lawn and garden machines, use a cord. Not only will it be much cheaper, but you won't be tied to some soon to be obsolete platform designed with planned obsolescence.
Gasoline works because it contains enormous amounts of BTU's in a lightweight compact liquid form, that and it's widely available, and the cost is so low that it's negligible. It's the maintenance and wear that gets you (and that's not totally eliminated with electrics).
Many valid points here. To be fair, it's not about cost effectiveness. Some people do try to make that argument, but it's easy enough to prove them wrong by showing how a $350 gas mower will outperform a $600 electric one and last for 10+ years, while that electric mower will probably need a new $350 battery at about the 5 year mark, at which point most people are just going to buy a new mower, putting the old one in the landfill and negating any argument they had about environmental impact.

The real benefit is quietness and convenience. Small engines aren't exactly easy to get started and keep running well in sub zero temps. As for cords, there simply aren't enough amps available over household 120v to run something like this.

The fact that two EGO 7.5 Ah batteries alone cost $700 would seem to indicate that this thing is going to cost way more than a comparable gas blower. But just like electric mowers, I'm sure it's going to carve out a significant market because the demand for a quiet and easy to use two stage snowblower is certainly there.

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
I'd like to see more cordless electric options but that said I don't think we're there yet. IMHO It's still more of a novelty than an economical work horse.
After a few years with it the owner is more likely to go back to a gas operated blower than shell out $500+ to get new batteries for the old blower. As mentioned, who knows what parts will still be available at that time, what the batteries will cost, less-more does something fit?
I see a lot of cheap battery powered mowers on Craigs cheap with dead batteries. They would rather sell cheap and get something else than buy a new battery. Tells you something.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I see a lot of cheap battery powered mowers on Craigs cheap with dead batteries. They would rather sell cheap and get something else than buy a new battery. Tells you something.
you could almost say the same thing about gas mowers and snowblowers. i picked up 1 for free near the beginning of the month. their exact wording "Doesn't start, maybe someone can fix it!". i am guessing operator error since i primed it 3 times and it fired right up first pull but clearly the previous owner must have been fed up with it. there are also tons machines that need carb cleaning at the beginning of each season that people throw out. i also see lots of gas powered equipment for sale that "needs a tune up" which means they need work. some people would rather just replace something than take the time to turn a wrench or pay someone to fix it. sometimes batteries are expensive but sometimes they are pretty cheap if you are willing to open things up and see what you need to replace. plus most of the battery powered lawn mowers you see for sale are likely the older ones with lead acid batteries. the lithium ion powered ones are a bit better as long as you take care of the batteries and don't let them freeze.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The real benefit is quietness and convenience.
quietness and convience is not a novel idea, my 1980's 932017 delivers and it only cost me 80 bucks.
Small engines aren't exactly easy to get started and keep running well in sub zero temps. As for cords, there simply aren't enough amps available over household 120v to run something like this.
Not true, The 017 has plenty of power and never trips the breaker. The problem with cords is that the farther you get out away from the supply, the heavier the cord gets in both weight and drag. But..when you're in close, like say the parking area near the entrance, I can have the area around the cars cleared before the gas blower is even up to operating temp. This comes in very handy if the cars don't have remote start and you want to bring them up to operating temps while you clear the bulk of the drive the standard way. I know it's nothing a modern SS or even cordless shovel couldn't also handle, but neither lift and place the snow the same way a 2 stage does.
The fact that two EGO 7.5 Ah batteries alone cost $700 would seem to indicate that this thing is going to cost way more than a comparable gas blower.
Then why not make a 2 stage hybrid? (dual dynamo AC/DC 120v and 40v) like Snow Joe makes for the single stage?...That seems to me the proper route, really the only reason they wouldn't is because they like selling lots of proprietary batteries and new blowers. They probably aren't too jazzed about the idea their products would still be functional long after that expensive battery dies.
But just like electric mowers, I'm sure it's going to carve out a significant market because the demand for a quiet and easy to use two stage snowblower is certainly there.
Again I've already had a quiet, convenient, dependable, electric two stage for decades, It just isn't cordless.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quietness and convience is not a novel idea, my 1980's 932017 delivers and it only cost me 80 bucks.
Not true, The 017 has plenty of power and never trips the breaker. The problem with cords is that the farther you get out away from the supply, the heavier the cord gets in both weight and drag. But..when you're in close, like say the parking area near the entrance, I can have the area around the cars cleared before the gas blower is even up to operating temp. This comes in very handy if the cars don't have remote start and you want to bring them up to operating temps while you clear the bulk of the drive the standard way. I know it's nothing a modern SS or even cordless shovel couldn't also handle, but neither lift and place the snow the same way a 2 stage does.
Then why not make a 2 stage hybrid? (dual dynamo AC/DC 120v and 40v) like Snow Joe makes for the single stage?...That seems to me the proper route, really the only reason they wouldn't is because they like selling lots of proprietary batteries and new blowers. They probably aren't too jazzed about the idea their products would still be functional long after that expensive battery dies.
Again I've already had a quiet, convenient, dependable, electric two stage for decades, It just isn't cordless.
Well considering the maximum a 15 amp circuit can deliver is 2.4 HP, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that. If it works fine for you, that's great. That's roughly equivalent to what one EGO battery can deliver. This will have two.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well considering the maximum a 15 amp circuit can deliver is 2.4 HP, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that. If it works fine for you, that's great. That's roughly equivalent to what one EGO battery can deliver. This will have two.
It's electric HP and it plenty strong enough to chew right though EOD and packed clay mounds(with tiller attachment) alike. No one is implying that cordless aren't powerful enough, the issues lay elsewhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts