Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I have a GreenWorks 2600402 Pro single stage 80Volt blower that I picked up for $100 and it works surprisingly well. It's similar to the EGO single stage product. I have two battery packs to allow for continuous use (although I've never actually had to switch to the second one before the job was done) and I also modified a used Kobalt 140XB-06 trimmer to accept the GreenWorks batteries. I've since added the PS720 pole saw attachment with extension boom and the BR720 power broom, so I have quite a stable of 80Volt widgets and they all work great!

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have a GreenWorks 2600402 Pro single stage 80Volt blower that I picked up for $100 and it works surprisingly well. It's similar to the EGO single stage product. I have two battery packs to allow for continuous use (although I've never actually had to switch to the second one before the job was done) and I also modified a used Kobalt 140XB-06 trimmer to accept the GreenWorks batteries. I've since added the PS720 pole saw attachment with extension boom and the BR720 power broom, so I have quite a stable of 80Volt widgets and they all work great!
Great to hear it works good,and those attachments must work really good on 80V. How big is your driveway? How many 16' cars can you park on it without blocking the sidewalk or apron, and the doors still being able to open wide enough to let passengers exit?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Great to hear it works good,and those attachments must work really good on 80V. How big is your driveway? How many 16' cars can you park on it without blocking the sidewalk or apron, and the doors still being able to open wide enough to let passengers exit?
I usually use the GreenWorks for light snow on the driveways and for any snow up to 18" or so on the 12'x18' deck, which is about 10' off the ground. Either of those tasks usually takes 20 minutes or so. It gets about 30 minutes out of a 2Ah battery, and it takes 30 minutes to recharge so theoretically could go forever with my two batteries! For heavy snow like what is shown below, I use a Honda HSS1332ATD.

The main drive is 35' long and 32' wide, so 6 car spaces there. The drive in front of the barn is 32' long and 28' wide, so 3 cars or trailers there because have to leave room for the swinging barn doors to open. The extension beside the barn is 40' long and 12' wide, so a couple more over there (usually just the jetski trailer and the enclosed Model T hauler there - don't usually do more than a pathway in the snow down the side of the barn).

Main drive left lane (silver Hyundai next to BMW still snow covered), then right lane (fork lift out of view and empty space for Subaru behind it) and part of center lane (black Hyundai parked behind BMW 325xi Touring).

This photo shows the deck, but it's the GreenWorks' predecessor, a corded SnowJoe. The GreenWorks throws better...

·
Registered
637 Posts
OK so not too long but nice and wide. You sure do get a lot of snow there in Maine, The deck looks like a perfect candidate for a single stage. The two stage cordless and SS I've seen all seem to have about half hour of run time in real world loads, perhaps that's the magic number they shoot for.?
I have a 15 car driveway with two aprons and it takes the 017 about 40-45 minutes to clear 8" If I'm booking. The 017 is corded electric, 2 stage, 20 " bucket, auger propelled. I can knock it down below 30 minutes with the gas version, or with the PRO
I've only used the 017 to clear the drive completely a half a dozen times or so, because the other options are better and it needs a 100ft cord that I have to shift outlets once. I like to know the little 1-1/2hp 100lb 2 stage can take care of it all in an emergency. I usually just use it on the patio and in the parking area for between vehicles while the gas machine warms up. It's a great early morning or late night option though, because it's even quieter than these cordless I've heard, almost silent except for mechanical noise.
Do you feel the cordless is quieter than your Snow Joe, or the other way around?

·
Registered
637 Posts
The cordless is quieter. It has a brushless motor, while the SnowJoe had brushes that led to its demise.
View attachment 168114
Interesting, do you have any idea approximately hour many hours of operation it took to reach this state?
I believe the Snow Joe also has a gearbox on the motor , does the cordless also have a gear? This also could be a source of noise. My 017 uses only a v belt.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Interesting, do you have any idea approximately hour many hours of operation it took to reach this state?
I had used it about 1/2 dozen times, so maybe something less than 3 hours? It's strange that they don't stock the replacement brushes for their motors. This was the
progression of SnowJoe Customer Service messages...
Step 1: You're out of warranty (2 years, 11 months since purchase), we don't have the brushes; would you like to buy a replacement motor?​
Step 2: Oh, Maine Implied Warranty = 4 years, where should we send the brushes?​
Step 3: Looks like it will take a long time to get the brushes, can we send you a replacement SJ615E? (What happened to just replacing the motor?)​
Step 4: Looks like we're out of SJ615E units, so we're sending you a SJ618E, send us back the SJ615E with this prepaid label once you receive the SJ618E.​
The new SJ618E is still in the box, since I purchased the GreenWorks in the interim. I'll probably list it for sale this fall.
I believe the Snow Joe also has a gearbox on the motor , does the cordless also have a gear? This also could be a source of noise. My 017 uses only a v belt.
I can't tell whether there are any gears incorporated in the GreenWorks motor from looking at the parts diagram. The parts site picture below looks like it's direct drive... The impeller is belt driven, just as the SJ was.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hah, At least that's some good parts service. We'll just send you the latest model! Do they offer extended warranties?
You can tell their parts department consists of dismantling returned units, They take two broken ones cobble together one good one, list it as a refurb, then list the leftover spares on their parts pages. They are totally at the mercy of what the Asians send them and this of course means everything they sell is subject to discontinuation without notice.
Seems like these are all tilt up web businesses, The Asians produce catalogs or web sites with their latest models on offer, and these businesses simply choose a color scheme that they purchase exclusive right to for a given area, and then tell them how they want the boxes an manuals printed. Bang, you're in business (as long as the ships keep steaming, and you can afford the agreed number of container loads)
I wouldn't buy one of these without buying TWO. You're going to need that second one as the parts department. or just use it till it breaks and hope the warranty is still good, if it's past date then just use it like a bic lighter and replace with a newer model. I'm sure EGO and Greenworks operate the same. Doesn't seem very green to me with all this junk ending up in landfills because there are no parts.

The gearbox is just a small primary reduction built on the front of the motor, If the PTO is not slightly offset from the centerline then it probably just uses belt and pulley reduction (although it can be hard to tell without dissecting)

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
...I'm sure EGO and Greenworks operate the same. Doesn't seem very green to me with all this junk ending up in landfills because there are no parts...
Actually, GreenWorks/Kobalt (Lowes) appears to have good parts availability through mainstream parts houses, at least at this point.

EGO (Home Depot) also seems to have parts availability, unlike SnowJoe.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well that's definitely a plus for EGO, real part numbers means they intend to stand by the product.
You could almost buy 2 predator 212's for the money they want for 1 single stage stage DC motor though.
I go for a picture search first because that's the best indicator of true stateside availabily
see for yourself
I come up with two ebay links for an Ego 56v motor and controller.
Yes, there is some motor brushes!
I know I searched Jack's for Snow Joe previously and they have nothing. HD and Big Box stores sell SJ's as well. SJ claims that out of the top 10 snowblowers (sales wise) on Amazon, 6 of them are Snow Joes. SJ just opened a bunch of distrbution warehouses(could be leases) throughout the country, and a refurbished service center location in NJ.
I became more curious about parts availability after I posted so I called them this afternoon and got the skinny.
Snow Joe does not offer parts except for what's listed under the product page. They will however send you the part via prescribed troubleshooting discourse & if it's a common malfunction and its something they can ship, and the owner can install easily with just basic hand tools. Other than that, they just send out a brand new unit if you are under warranty.
The refurb units carry a 90 day warranty and they do not offer an extended warranty. However, the employee told me that if you buy the refurb from one of the big resellers then the reseller possibly will offer a separate extended warranty for a fee.
If you buy a new retail unit from Snow Joe, the warranty is 2 years 90 days plus they offer an extended warranty (three years if I remember correctly) for a 10% premium (so an extra $35 or so on a single stage). The problem is their shipments don't seem to arrive (Snow equipment) until the end of September(which makes sense), and they probably sell rapidly and sell out by the following summer. This makes for gappy availability.
So then I got more pointed with my questions. I asked if the service department had real technicians that do service, He replied affirmative. So I asked them if they can go into the sub-assemblies to execute repairs and if so where do they get the parts? He didn't elaborate too much but said yes they do do that and the parts are available to them if the situation calls for it.
So I posed the hypothetical question; Let's say If I had an SJ product, but the warranty lapsed, the model is discontinued, I like the model and the color scheme that's NLA. I feel the problem is minor and nothing I can't handle. Could I get the technicians to send me the part?
And he said in that situation YES, if the part is still available, but it may take a while.

So It does appear they ALL are trying to make parts available, but they are such young operations the infrastructure maybe isn't quite there yet.

PS: On an observational level, I smell more than a whiff of Big Gov going on here.
China, Amazon, these guys standing in a brand new empty warehouse?
Real estate Warehouseman World Employment Businessperson

Could you imagine Honda sending you a new blower because they don't have a part?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
That's the beauty of states' implied warranty laws... Here's Maine's: Office of the Maine AG: Consumer Protection: Consumer Law Guide

I've had to avail myself of it with Harbor Freight compressors that all seem to die after a year or two with no parts available, as well.
That's good your state has clarified it, and yes the HF compressors seem to have weak reeds. There are/were lots of sellers on Ebay that offer stainless replacements. The problem is they spin them too fast and it creates heat that weaken the reeds. If you buy two and lower the pump speed to 600-700rpm in duplex(for equal output as the lone pump) they'd probablly last forever. The NE states from Maine to WV seem to have good consumer protections.

I was watching a bunch of comparo vids on cordless Single stage yesterday and the consensus seemed to be that the Toro seems to be the best as far as fit and finish, clearing to the surface, quality materials, and operation (except it's push/not auger propelled). It 's not the most powerful or throws the farthest, but overall it shines in other metrics.

Tabora, which cord did you use when those brushes burnt on the Snow Joe? (size length make?)

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
and yes the HF compressors seem to have weak reeds.
In my case, it was the bearings. 2 different models, 2 of each failed. On my fifth HF compressor now...
Tabora, which cord did you use when those brushes burnt on the Snow Joe? (size length make?)
It was a new Ace 50' 16gauge cord purchased specifically for the SnowJoe (size recommended in the manual). Here's the one: Ace Indoor and Outdoor 50 ft. L Orange Extension Cord 16/3 SJTW - Ace Hardware

·
Registered
637 Posts
The bearings on the pump? Aren't those bathed in oil? Are you talking about the big cast iron v pumps or those single cylinder?

On the cord, I saw a discussion where some guy was recommending a 12 gauge cord minimum for corded blowers, he was talking about too much heat buildup on the brushes with narrower cord, especially the 100 footers. He said use an RV cord even for 50 ft. I know it's not 12Awg at the inlet but he was saying the brushes act like heat sink if there is not a better path of least resistance.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
The bearings on the pump? Aren't those bathed in oil? Are you talking about the big cast iron v pumps or those single cylinder?
The bearing at the end of the connecting rod for the piston. No oil in there, sadly... These are smaller "silent" compressors that we just use for blowing dust off negatives, computer parts, etc.
The first two were these: 1 Gallon 135 PSI Ultra Quiet Hand Carry Jobsite Air Compressor
The most recent three are these: 1/6 HP 58 PSI Oil-Free Airbrush Compressor
On the cord, I saw a discussion where some guy was recommending a 12 gauge cord minimum for corded blowers, he was talking about too much heat buildup on the brushes with narrower cord, especially the 100 footers. He said use an RV cord even for 50 ft. I know it's not 12Awg at the inlet but he was saying the brushes act like heat sink if there is not a better path of least resistance.
Yeah, the manual specified 16 gauge for 50 feet or less and 14 gauge up to 100 feet. But I no longer have to worry about that any more with the brushless/cordless GreenWorks!

·
Registered
637 Posts
The bearing at the end of the connecting rod for the piston. No oil in there, sadly... These are smaller "silent" compressors that we just use for blowing dust off negatives, computer parts, etc.
The first two were these: 1 Gallon 135 PSI Ultra Quiet Hand Carry Jobsite Air Compressor
The most recent three are these: 1/6 HP 58 PSI Oil-Free Airbrush Compressor

Yeah, the manual specified 16 gauge for 50 feet or less and 14 gauge up to 100 feet. But I no longer have to worry about that any more with the brushless/cordless GreenWorks!
1750 RPM? That's too fast even for a tiny compressor IMO. What lasts is more pistons less speed.

Don't those have a one piece rod and piston? Or is that just the older oil-less, They use a real short stroke and a flexible sealing ring, the piston is wedge shaped and kind of tilts back and forth in the bore. The big end has a sealed full radial ball bearing.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Don't those have a one piece rod and piston? Or is that just the older oil-less, They use a real short stroke and a flexible sealing ring, the piston is wedge shaped and kind of tilts back and forth in the bore. The big end has a sealed full radial ball bearing.
It looks like this... It's the #17 sealed bearing or the crank big end that fails, and they have no spare parts. At least they keep replacing it...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yeah that's what i call the one piece piston/rod....I wonder if a ceramic bearing, or hybrid ceramic may last longer? I've see all kinds of problem with these, some don't even have enclosed crankcases, just a cantilevered platform (probably for extra cooling) that's bored and that cylinder #10 slips right in held in place by the head. Seen that platform break right off when these suffer catastrophic failure (because they spin too fast IMO)... IMO These aren't for free air blowing, blasting, air grinding, or anything where the valve or trigger is open for extended continuous air delivery. They'll run an air nailer, stapler, wrench, or light spray painting of small parts, but even filling of a large truck tire may be pushing it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Word for word from the Snow Joe hybrid Manual: When using an extension cord, make sure to use one heavy enough to carry the current your product will draw. For lengths less than 50 ft (15 m), a No.14 AWG (or greater) extension cord should be used. An undersized cord will cause a drop in line voltage resulting in loss of power and overheating.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Word for word from the Snow Joe hybrid Manual...
Yeah, but this was a smaller SJ615E... From THAT manual:

14 gauge would certainly have been better, but they had the opportunity to specify what to use, and also to stock the replacement brushes that I would have happily paid for... Water under the bridge.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts