Snowblower Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Ahh I see, apparently they do make different flavors of their A/C motors. The hyb has 13.5 Amp but they make up to a 15 AMP plus smaller units for the power shovels and the like. The only cord I see that they sell is a 50ft 14guage...I'm thinking perhaps they've calculated that it's not worth the cost of stocking all the different brushes for customers who are the exception (who don't mind servicing their E motors themselves)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Actually, GreenWorks/Kobalt (Lowes) appears to have good parts availability through mainstream parts houses, at least at this point.

EGO (Home Depot) also seems to have parts availability, unlike SnowJoe.
I see now if you do a search on Ego "Lowe's " name comes up and not HD. Not sure that HD will be selling Ego anymore..?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
So there's a few videos out there now. My thoughts:

Throws much farther than I thought, probably every bit of their 50' claim.
Plows a lot of snow. I think the impeller and auger are too small. Probably how it manages to throw so far.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I think the impeller and auger are too small. Probably how it manages to throw so far.
i don't know about that. i think the reason it might be able to throw as far as it does is because how much faster the electric motor can turn the impeller. they likely chose a smaller impeller because the larger the impeller the more snow you throw which will require a bigger motor which then requires a bigger battery. it will be interesting to see how they last and perform in the long term.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All, I am in need of some assistance. I just received my 2-Stage Ego Blower and it snowed in NY. Ran into a few questions/issues. I have called Ego 3x times and they are clowns...they cannot answer my simple questions. Hoping you can help. The instructions say to hit the power button the main panel. When you do this the self propel lever will work as well as the auger lever. However, every time you release the auger lever....you have to go and press the power button every time. This cannot be right...it is defective correct? Also, the power button LED does not stay lit...should it? Again, customer service can't answer these questions at Ego....have been told I will get a call back...that was 2 days ago.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
The instructions say to hit the power button the main panel. When you do this the self propel lever will work as well as the auger lever. However, every time you release the auger lever....you have to go and press the power button every time. This cannot be right...it is defective correct?
There is no "power button", so I assume you mean the "Safety Button"...
Press the safety button and hold for 1 second, and the LED indicator will blink green. Press the auger-switch trigger (right hand) to turn on the snow blower while the LED indicator blinks.
When you activate the self-propel trigger and the auger-switch trigger at the same time, the auger-switch trigger will be temporarily locked. Release the auger-switch trigger (right hand) and the auger-switch trigger will remain engaged. This feature allows you to adjust the auger speed, self-propelling speed, and discharging direction of the snow while the auger rotates. To stop the auger, release the self-propel trigger and both the auger and the self-propel function will stop.
So, yes, you have to press the Safety Button any time you are starting the augers from a dead stop. Under most circumstances, you would keep the augers spinning and manipulate all other functions with your other hand. This is the way pretty much every electric snow blower works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is no "power button", so I assume you mean the "Safety Button"...
Press the safety button and hold for 1 second, and the LED indicator will blink green. Press the auger-switch trigger (right hand) to turn on the snow blower while the LED indicator blinks.
When you activate the self-propel trigger and the auger-switch trigger at the same time, the auger-switch trigger will be temporarily locked. Release the auger-switch trigger (right hand) and the auger-switch trigger will remain engaged. This feature allows you to adjust the auger speed, self-propelling speed, and discharging direction of the snow while the auger rotates. To stop the auger, release the self-propel trigger and both the auger and the self-propel function will stop.
So, yes, you have to press the Safety Button any time you are starting the augers from a dead stop. Under most circumstances, you would keep the augers spinning and manipulate all other functions with your other hand. This is the way pretty much every electric snow blower works.

Super helpful....thank you so much!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hello All, I am in need of some assistance. I just received my 2-Stage Ego Blower and it snowed in NY. Ran into a few questions/issues. I have called Ego 3x times and they are clowns...they cannot answer my simple questions. Hoping you can help. The instructions say to hit the power button the main panel. When you do this the self propel lever will work as well as the auger lever. However, every time you release the auger lever....you have to go and press the power button every time. This cannot be right...it is defective correct? Also, the power button LED does not stay lit...should it? Again, customer service can't answer these questions at Ego....have been told I will get a call back...that was 2 days ago.
So sorry to hear about your issue, If you got as much snow as we did I'd be frantic dealing with new blower problems, then I'd be angry because I'd have to call in a plow service.
This is an older thread, I've since come into possession of a new 2 stage cordless, this snowstorm is NOT ideal for a batt powered blower. However (mine is a Snow Joe) there are some quirks with the controls and safety circuitry that are likely common to most of these cordless blowers. Mine will not start unless both battery are locked in place, the start key is inserted and turned on, and then the emergency shutoff is turned clockwise and released. Once it powers up then there are other controls issues but those are mostly due to ergonomics...Your product is still relatively new to the market, I'd keep trying customer service until you can contact the repair or refurbs department. If you do get it working, please give us an in depth performance review.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually they've got it ass backwards. Ariens already tried this with their AMP series, they worked but they were god awful expensive for what you got, and the battery technology is just not there, I don't even think it is now either, nor may it ever be. People have converted them to universal lithium (the rectanlge ones) but they cost $2000 (rich folk's stuff). You pay for what you get I suppose. It's one thing to power little hand tools that need bursts of power for short intermittent duration, It's a whole different thing to run yard equipment for an hour straight in sub zero temps. Can it be done? Yes kinda, Can it be done well enough for commercial guys to switch? I don't think so. If you want the benefits of electric motors in powerful lawn and garden machines, use a cord. Not only will it be much cheaper, but you won't be tied to some soon to be obsolete platform designed with planned obsolescence.
Gasoline works because it contains enormous amounts of BTU's in a lightweight compact liquid form, that and it's widely available, and the cost is so low that it's negligible. It's the maintenance and wear that gets you (and that's not totally eliminated with electrics).

·
Registered
963 Posts
My son has a single stage Ego blower and loves it. I said, "wait until the heavy wet snow falls, that's when you find out what's really good" and what's junk. No problem for him though, he has a Compact 24 as a backup.

·
Premium GOT Member
10,045 Posts
First video in action...dry sawdust which would make anything look good but hey it's something. Pricing is $1399 or $899 bare tool. So about double an entry level gas machine that probably has more power, but with nicer features and probably a lot easier to use overall. I can see the appeal, but I'm still skeptical how it will actually perform.

This is why Consumer Reports is full of Kaka. You want respect CR?????? Come out to the Sierra after a 2 foot dump with all your snowblowers and test them here.
Then maybe i will listen to you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just an FYI. The self-propelled feature is available as soon as the batteries are installed. The safety/power button is only to control the auger.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings,
I just picked up and assembled my Ego 2405 snowblower. I ran across a problem where the Chute-Rotation Handle was next to impossible to move, left or right. I called Ego and they told me to make an adjustment using the 'Swivel Nut' as shown on page 22 (figure 16) of their on-line manual. However, the manual I got with the unit does not show this feature, nor is there any 'Swivel Nut' on my new snowblower. They told me to bring it back to Lowes!!! Really???

I then remembered there had been complaints that the Discharge Chute would drift left/right and a Chute Kit was created to fix this problem. I watched their video (on their site) and it gave me an idea. I took off the plastic cover to find that the Chute Kit was already installed. The problem is that the two tabs of the Chute Kit that apply pressure on the gear are applying too much pressure. So I took a flat screwdriver and bent the tabs out just a bit to reduce the pressure. It is still tight but much easier to use the Chute-Rotation Handle. I informed Ego on how I fixed their problem. If you run across this with yours, it is an easy fix. See the attached photo. Gary
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Bicycle part Crankset

41 - 55 of 55 Posts