Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this on youtube. A guy near where I live created this snowblower on a old craftman 825 snowblower 1991.

He said it will run 3 hours on a charge and only took 1h to charge on 120v.

The engine is a 48V.

Really impressive for a electric snowblower.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
That is pretty neat. Great power too, not only the 'hp' but the torque of the motor.

I like it... maybe we'll see something like that in production soon. Wado does have a Li-ion-powered small snowplow, which I'd like to try... but it's 2500 bux... for 60 minutes on a 6 hour charge. Needs more bang for that kind o' buck.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
That is pretty neat. Great power too, not only the 'hp' but the torque of the motor.

I like it... maybe we'll see something like that in production soon. Wado does have a Li-ion-powered small snowplow, which I'd like to try... but it's 2500 bux... for 60 minutes on a 6 hour charge. Needs more bang for that kind o' buck.

Yes, Electric motors make full torque from zero rpms and will not bog down or stall under load like a gasoline engine will. I seen that several companies are now making electric lawnmowers and an electric snow blower makes sense now since fairly large capacity in Watt Hours (WH) to even KWH batteries in electric cars and Li-ion batteries are becoming cost competitive to manufacturer so Snowblower manufacturers should be able to make a fairly decent performing snowblower for maybe $1500 with enough battery capacity to run for a few hours before needing recharging. I am usually done with my snow blowing in 20 minutes or so a run time of at least 1 hour would make it competitive with gasoline powered snow blowers. 220 volt charging option would reduce charge times to about 1/2 the amount of time of 115 volt and almost every one has 220 volt outlet if they have a kitchen stove or an electric Dryer

·
Registered
397 Posts
While you're on YouTube check out this equipment. Especially the segment at around 0:45 to one minute into the video.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
I came across this on youtube. A guy near where I live created this snowblower on a old craftman 825 snowblower 1991.

He said it will run 3 hours on a charge and only took 1h to charge on 120v.

The engine is a 48V.

Really impressive for a electric snowblower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fH7FajIlVc
It seems to to a fine job moving snow but boy is he getting a workout manuvering it. There doesn't seem to be any track steering?

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Yes, Electric motors make full torque from zero rpms and will not bog down or stall under load like a gasoline engine will. I seen that several companies are now making electric lawnmowers and an electric snow blower makes sense now since fairly large capacity in Watt Hours (WH) to even KWH batteries in electric cars and Li-ion batteries are becoming cost competitive to manufacturer so Snowblower manufacturers should be able to make a fairly decent performing snowblower for maybe $1500 with enough battery capacity to run for a few hours before needing recharging. I am usually done with my snow blowing in 20 minutes or so a run time of at least 1 hour would make it competitive with gasoline powered snow blowers. 220 volt charging option would reduce charge times to about 1/2 the amount of time of 115 volt and almost every one has 220 volt outlet if they have a kitchen stove or an electric Dryer
Calling Elon Musk!

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
She nearly went down at the end.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
you would probably have a few close calls if you were out blowing snow in hi heel boots :)

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
No close calls . . . I'd have two broken ankles . . . and a lot of explaining to do.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Speaking of broken ankles, going down and close calls....:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Calling Elon Musk!
Battery life has to be at least an hour of run time or it isn't worth it. The Snow Joe Ion 80V has nearly 3 hours of run time so it is a worthy competitor to the gasoline powered snow blowers. The discontinued electric Ariens snow blower had a run time of about 30 minutes max. As to Elon Musk he said an electric car has to be even better than a gasoline car for it to sell so why would you attempt to sell an electric snowblower that is inferior to a gasoline powered one?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts