Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I bought and slowly have begun some routine maintenance on a Yard Man 8hp blower. Everything works great except the electric start. It has tried to crank once, so I know that the switch works. Other then that I get nothing. Is there anything that is fairly common I can look for. I really don't care if it works or not, just trying to see if its something fairly common.

Thanks!

Dustin

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Yep. Take that starter off and clean off the shaft. Spray a bit of WD-40 on the shaft, wipe it off then put either a little lithium grease on it or a coat of some heavier oil such as 30w. Those starters are notorious for sticking. Don't over torque the starter bolts when reinstalling. If you are getting nothing when pushing the button you may have a loose or broken wire. It should at least click or something. I've seen corroded connections on them before. Some times it'll be corroded inside the push button mechanism, sometimes at the starter.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice! I was concerned that if I took the starter off that it might not go back on the same way that it came off, but I have confidence that I can get it back on correctly.

Dustin

·
Registered
792 Posts
Dustin
When you reattach your starter, use some medium strength Loctite on the screws...loose starters also cause a lot of problems. MH

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Usually Bad Brushes/Dirty Contacts. You need to remove the end cover to get at them.
Sometimes cleaning the copper contact will do it, but it's not easy to get it back together, as the brushes are spring-loaded. An alternator shop should be able to fix it if you don't want to.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
About a month ago I bought and slowly have begun some routine maintenance on a Yard Man 8hp blower. Everything works great except the electric start. It has tried to crank once, so I know that the switch works. Other then that I get nothing. Is there anything that is fairly common I can look for. I really don't care if it works or not, just trying to see if its something fairly common.

Thanks!

Dustin
Might want to check that switch again. You got one crank out of it, maybe the contacts are toast now. If you can open the switch housing, check the connections in there. Another user has one and found the wires on the switch terminals burned off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts