Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The electric start button has torn it's rubber boot. This is a Tecumseh Electric starter. Is it possible to get a replacement boot?
So far I have come up dry. I may need a creative solution here. Any ideas?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I’ve seen toggle switches for damp environments that come with rubber boots - sometimes 2-3 boots in different colors.

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
wish you luck with finding one as it's not serviceable separately ,it's part of the starter assembly.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What do you mean by it is not serviceable? I had the housing box off, opened and old boot removed in about 3 minutes. I assume you are just repeating what a MTD or Tecumseh service manual may say? They may not sell a replacement part. That is what I would expect at this point in time.

Craftsman2: Looking at a place like McMaster is a great suggestion. However it is not a threaded mount boot. The boot base is a rubber ring that is clamped in place between the switch and housing.

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
the switch while it can come apart has never been serviceable,they simply don't and never sold the ind. parts. . about 30 years ago one could get a switch and wire lead set than it became full starter only, now it's many times simply NLA . sorry man just cold facts,

best to hit ebay and find a good used one if no one in here has one for sale in the sales section
and PS i used to own and run a power eqp.shop.thats what i always found , NSS and NLA

·
Registered
Craftsman II 8/27 C950-52318-3
30 Posts
What do you mean by it is not serviceable? I had the housing box off, opened and old boot removed in about 3 minutes. I assume you are just repeating what a MTD or Tecumseh service manual may say? They may not sell a replacement part. That is what I would expect at this point in time.

Craftsman2: Looking at a place like McMaster is a great suggestion. However it is not a threaded mount boot. The boot base is a rubber ring that is clamped in place between the switch and housing.
I thought you could adapt something/just use the boot from one of those buttons. The switch box is available on PartsTree for $137. Otherwise it's impossible to buy just the button alone. Check local ads - Maybe someone will be giving away a dead starter and you can snag the harness and box.

·
Registered
223 Posts
if you are handy, you can rig up and install a replacement switch,

in reality, the starter button is acting like a light switch in your home,

when you press the button, the light turns on, when you release it, the light turns off,

all that button is doing is letting power flow through when you press the button,

its a simple light switch, ground wire and neutral wire flow through all the time, the black/hot is switched,

you can cut that entire switch box off, and install your own switch if you want

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was at a Hardware store today and saw an assortment of momentary push button switches that are panel mount. In ohter words they have a threaded stem. I think it will be easier, cleaner, and reliable to get one that meets the electrical needs and then buy one of the boots shown on the McMaster page that craftsman2 suggested. Now to find the current that motor draws so I can size the switch appropriately. Thanks for all of the ideas.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Have you got any of those cheap flashlights Harbor Freight gave away free for years? Looks like you could rob the switch boot out of one of those. You can still purchase them and the flashlight still works without a boot.

Reactions: Craftsman2
1 - 12 of 12 Posts