Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older (1986)..ok almost ancient Ariens ST924 series snowblower that has the Tecumseh HM80 engine on it. When I prepped it this fall, all was well. When it snowed, I went out and pushed the electric starter button and nothing. I hear a slight click in the switch but the starter motor does nothing. The electric cord to the machine is good.

My Ariens dealer informs me he can no longer get this electric starter motor and at 66, I don't have too many manual pulls on that machine left in me.

Any suggestions or does anyone know of a source for "vintage" parts?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in the process of doing that now. I saw the other thread dealing with that. My starter motor does not "whine" like it is not engaging...it does nothing. I just removed it and the gear turns freely. I am also going to open it up and see if there is someplace that I can check for electrical continuity between the motor and the switch.

Thanks for the input and I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It turns out one of the wires that goes to one of the brushes is burned out. An electrical repair is in my future.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum Dale. The Tecumseh part number for the starter is 33329(a to f) if you do have to replace it.
Here are a few videos to help. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
It turns out one of the wires that goes to one of the brushes is burned out. An electrical repair is in my future.
Good for you for finding the problem. 9 times out of 10 they just need a little cleaning and a little lube. I oprovided a link to ebay if the solder job doesn't work out.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Amazing that the dealer can't get a part that is common and can be bought anywhere. Sounds like he just wants to sell you a new machine. They typically run around $100 - $150 new all over the internet, or around $50 for used ones. Also, check craigslist in your area as there is likely to be someone with a blower that has an engine that blew up on him.

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
Hard to understand they couldn't sell the OP a starter or at least give him the part number and point him toward the internet. Customer service sure isn't job 1 there :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts