Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I'am on snowblowing the first big storm of the year and next thing I know the electric starter is hanging off the blower! I already knew that the starter was bad because of chipped teeth, not big deal there.

My question is is it better to leave the starter on to keep the elements out of the flywheel or should I just take it off completely? The machine is a yard machine with a Tecumseh 8hp snow king.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Take it off and make some sort of cover out of sheet metal?
Get another starter?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I wonder if you could get the parts and rebuild it?
I would make some type of cover for the hole it will leave. Also take it off so it doesn't screw up something else. No point to leave it on just flopping around?

I like an electric starter, saves on the pull cord. But that is me, does it pull start easy?
If mine sits for a few months it is easier to electric start on the initial start, then it pulls starts after that on the first pull.
Trying to pull start it on the initial start takes a bunch of pulls to get her going.
I figure I am saving wear and tear on the pull start by using the electric start.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It does not pull start easy. Half of the teeth on the starter are missing, so Iam guessing it would be a pretty big rebuild, might even be better just to get a new starter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
A quick look, Robot Check
Edit, hmm link did not work I searched using "Tecumseh 8hp snow king starter" and some on Amazon came up.
Seems like they will be around $60 bucks. (don't know if they are for yours, I used Tecumseh 8 hp snow king starter for the search.)

There maybe some cheaper priced starters somewhere too.
I would have to search, maybe someone else here will know of another source?

Edit again, see if this link works,
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Tecumseh+8hp+snow+king+starter

Nope, I can't link Amazon I guess?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
It does not pull start easy. Half of the teeth on the starter are missing, so Iam guessing it would be a pretty big rebuild, might even be better just to get a new starter.
I would say that it is shot!

Maybe it got that way from someone trying to start it when it was loose?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Vermont007! Do you know of any vids that would help with this type of installation?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Thanks Vermont007! Do you know of any vids that would help with this type of installation?
Before you start ordering things on Ebay, check the flywheel to see if any teeth are missing or broken on that? Changing a flywheel would add quite a bit of cost to the project

·
Registered
436 Posts
I replaced my starter and then the next year the starter's mounting tabs broke off. I just removed the starter and easily started the blower manually. I didn't cover the area or do anything and never had any problems.

·
Registered
154 Posts
IMO, the root cause is the lower two starter mount bolts either backed out or stripped out. That let to poor pinion engagement and eventually to breaking teeth and levering the starter off the engine. You'll have to re-tap the mount bolts to 5/16 thread. If you decide not to replace the pinion [it really is very simple to do] then you can sell that starter on ebay because the armature is the fragile/valuable part in the starter.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No doubt the bolts stripping out was the problem. This was like this when I got the blower earlier this year. I have never seen the starter work, and haven't had the time to open it up and see if it is even worth saving.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Are those Starter Bolts good candidates for a HeliCoil ?

I noticed one of my muffler bolts MIA last year, and then discovered that the threads in the head were also gone. It had rattled itself out, destroying the threads along the way.

I'd never used "helicoil" products before; but it was far easier than I expected, and I was able to replace the muffler bolt with the same size bolt.

Now, I check EVERY bolt I can see at least once a year.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I replaced the starter drive gear on my daughter's HMSK80 this past summer. Got the parts from Jack's Small Engine. Was an easy job. You should check the starter mounting bolts/screws from time to time on these Tec. engines. They have a tendency to loosen. This will cause the starter drive to strip.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you're not mechanically proficient, and many aren't, simply take it to an auto electrical shop with the new pinion. It'll be a piece of cake for them. Retapping is also simple.

·
Registered
534 Posts
You should check some of those lawnmower shops that you see along the roads, that have a couple dozen lawnmowers outside. The might have the starter you are looking for at a very reasonable price, and might even test run it for you.
Sid

1 - 18 of 18 Posts