Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to get a clean very-late 924 model for a while. Most of the ones I look at have been absolute wrecks but I grabbed a 1024 Professional the other day that's virtually like new...other than a blown engine. Model 924120, made in 2002. Original owner and only used sparingly. The engine appears to have thrown a rod after the valve cover came loose and barfed out all the oil. Weird.

Anyway, time to repower the thing. Engine is a Tecumseh OHSK100. These aren't common engines on the used market around here so I'm exploring options. Find a compatible core to use as a shortblock? Downgrade to a common flathead engine? Don't think a new $600 Briggs is worth it.

Plant Wheel Grass Tire Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
5,550 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Just as an FYI, the chute crank assembly is bolted to the cylinder head itself:

Font Line Slope Parallel Auto part

If you were to swap in a common flathead, the holes may or may not match up. If you go with a Honda clone, you'll definitely need to fabricate some sort of new bracket to bolt the crank assembly elsewhere on the new engine or the frame.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I just did a 6.5 Predator swap for a guy on an Ariens 32" blower. I told him to get the bigger engine, but he saw some dude on Youtube use 6.5hp on a blower this size and that's what he wanted to do. Didn't bother me, I took his money when the swap was done.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
It is likely cheaper to buy a cheap machine to pull an engine off of and swap. I have done it a few times. I am actually starting to accumulated a small collection of engines that I have considered parting with soon. Also have a couple machine I would consider pulling the engines off of if I came across a decent machine that needed one that size.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
@Auger1,

I agree with you ... I would never put a Predator 212cc on a heavy built 32-inch Ariens ... does not make sense .... will it move, of course, will it blow snow efficiently for that size of a machine, ... highly doubtful ...

Heck, even my 30-inch Cub Cadets are 11HP and a 357cc .....

·
Premium Member
1979 (or so) Toro 724 (38050) and 2018 Ariens Platinum 24
1,575 Posts
Been trying to get a clean very-late 924 model for a while. Most of the ones I look at have been absolute wrecks but I grabbed a 1024 Professional the other day that's virtually like new...other than a blown engine. Model 924120, made in 2002. Original owner and only used sparingly. The engine appears to have thrown a rod after the valve cover came loose and barfed out all the oil. Weird.

Anyway, time to repower the thing. Engine is a Tecumseh OHSK100. These aren't common engines on the used market around here so I'm exploring options. Find a compatible core to use as a shortblock? Downgrade to a common flathead engine? Don't think a new $600 Briggs is worth it.

View attachment 199508
Case damage, or just rod? If the case is solid, and the cylinder in decent shape, it should be repairable.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I just did a 6.5 Predator swap for a guy on an Ariens 32" blower. I told him to get the bigger engine, but he saw some dude on Youtube use 6.5hp on a blower this size and that's what he wanted to do. Didn't bother me, I took his money when the swap was done.
I believe that guy is on here but don't remember his name. He swears they have plenty of power but every video he shows it blowing a few inches of light fluffy snow and claims it's deep heavy snow.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
I put the Predator 212cc on an older Ariens 24-inch 10000 series and it works great ... so in my opinion, putting it on the larger, heavier, 32-inch Ariens would not be my choice .... I would certainly get the larger engine for that machine.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
That is not even 9 inches of heavy snow as he describes ....

Don't get me wrong, I have a predator 212cc, and they are great engines, just not for a solid, heavy 32-inch older Ariens 10000 series in my opinion. A larger engine would be better suited.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
That is not even 9 inches of heavy snow as he describes ....

Don't get me wrong, I have a predator 212cc, and they are great engines, just not for a solid, heavy 32-inch older Ariens 10000 series in my opinion. A larger engine would be better suited.
They are very good engines.
But you need a certain amount of power for a certain amount of work.

It doesn't matter how great a Predator 212 is, you wouldn't replace a Detroit Diesel with one.

I've only used my 420cc 24" in one storm and I had no problem maxing the engine out without trying too hard.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Wow ... 420cc on a 24-inch bucket, now that is overkill .... that 420cc is what should be on that 32-inch machine ... :)
I had it running at 3750rpm and was able to slow it down to something like 3200rpm repeatedly.
With the slop I deal with, it's not overkill. I'd very likely put a vtwin on a 32".

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Before the 420 happened I was considering several other engines which sound far more ridiculous than they actually are power wise.

A Military air cooled horizontally opposed 4 cylinder, and a 2 cylinder. They run absolutely beautifully and smooth.
But, the 4 cylinder is 6HP and the 2 cylinder I think is 10HP.

They were just too big and awkward for too little power.
The 420CC 13HP fit good enough without too much headache.

·
Premium GOT Member
10,045 Posts
did you dismantle engine to see of possible rebuild?

I enjoy rebuilding Honda Gx engines. usually they blow due to lack of oil and very little damage other than the rod. I just buy a new piston, rings, rod, gaskets

Just finished a gx200 for a Honda HS724

I;m always surprised when they start up and run.....:cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like a job for a Predator...
New engines are prolly off the table for the time being, unless there's a great sale on a really nice big snow engine. I think Briggs models were discounted a while back but that ship's sailed. These things with good engines are available for ~$300-400 offseason all the time. This one was just in such cherry shape I grabbed it just in case the engine was salvageable.

I'd say one of the Yanmar 9/10hp diesels/clone, they are however slightly spendy.

They are also nearly unstoppable, and make really cool noises. 😁👍
Ironically I passed on a new-in-crate 10HP Yanmar clone for $100 over the winter.

Just as an FYI, the chute crank assembly is bolted to the cylinder head itself:

If you were to swap in a common flathead, the holes may or may not match up. If you go with a Honda clone, you'll definitely need to fabricate some sort of new bracket to bolt the crank assembly elsewhere on the new engine or the frame.
Yup, the OHV and flathead engines used different mounting brackets for the crank assy. Easy to fab a replacement though. I have an Ariens 8524 with a flathead with a similar setup. That machine'll be sold soon.

It is likely cheaper to buy a cheap machine to pull an engine off of and swap. I have done it a few times. I am actually starting to accumulated a small collection of engines that I have considered parting with soon. Also have a couple machine I would consider pulling the engines off of if I came across a decent machine that needed one that size.
The OHVs aren't common on wrecks, but I keep my eyes open. At the moment there are a ton of cheapo 10HP flathead snowblowers (Murray, MTD, etc) for sale around here for $50 or whatever. I'm trying to find shaft specs--a lot of those have small cranks with camshaft drives.

Case damage, or just rod? If the case is solid, and the cylinder in decent shape, it should be repairable.
I thought it was solid when I got it, but the area under the starter is all cracked. It's one nudge away from a gaping hole.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts