Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I inherited this machine from an old friend who moved to the Carolinas, we're in Connecticut. First time using/working on a dual stage. The engine never ran right (sometimes started, sometimes didn't). The tires never got ANY traction, I mean my wrists are SORE from pushing this blower around and I've lost 8 lbs in the last 2 weeks! However my wife says she's never seen me fitter.

Just completed the swap out of the old 4hp Tecumseh on my circa 1966 10M4 model! The main issue was getting the old pulley off, first time. Installing it was a cinch. Well, I did forget to line up the belt... and relocation the chute was a pain but I did it. I did install new wheels so figuring out that system and getting it right W/O destroying the machine, snapping all my drill bits, losing my sanity and making everyone around me cry was interesting...

As it turns out SmallEngineWarehouse was a little off with my shaft length... or my assumption that the 10M4 engine had the same envelope as the 10M6 engine was slightly off... So the belt cover housing was rubbing into the shaft. Nothing a drill hole didn't fix. Then the tack welds on the belt cover snapped off while I was drilling. So I'm waiting for the metal epoxy to dry :rolleyes: I'll epoxy or super glue a plastic cap over the hole and paint the hole thing black this spring.

I ran her last night through a snow drift or two just to "test" her. She did it fine. Oh, a big difference was the TRACTION of the new 15" Snow Hogs over the original 1966 bald solid 12" tires. I drilled a 9/16" hole in the shaft and stuck a D-shaped locking tow pin in there as a roll pin. The axle steel seemed like pretty hard so I hope it holds. I think the shear pin will snap before the axle will, based on material hardness... Anyway, we'll see. Runs like champ. New engine started on the second try. First try, I forgot to hit the "on" button :)

Well, my wife took some before pics. I'll get her to take some after pics and post them soon, I hope. I have to get on the roof and start shoveling... Cheers!

plowman (-no more! blowerman? snowman? ha!)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, installed was a Briggs and Stratton 1150 Snow Intek (7.5 hp) engine with electric start. She's running on 20 ounces of synthetic.

Now I think I just need a taller chute... :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recently found out the Briggs & Stratton 1150 series is 8.5 hp ! That explains why it can thro snow halfway up my roofline... Very cool indeed...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts