Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Name is swampjeff (new guy)& I have question that is probably old stuff to vets of this forum. Older Ariens Snowblowers-6&7HP have flat steel plates bolted under cast alum engine block-so welded in engine mounting studs stick up about 3/4". Now I'm convinced that putting a nut on stud & giving it the 4 lb. sledge treatment-and bending the flat mount surface-that there MUST be (GOOD weld!) a better way. WHAT does one do to remove studs-or modify so I can put Briggs engine in? Briggs has cast base and requires 1 1/4" MINIMUM stud or bolt. I can saw studs flush & drill through them but that is labor intense & sort of M.Mouse. Any suggestions?-I HAVE motor and I DO WANT to use it-so I'm stuck on needing longer bolts. Thanks, swampjeff

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I have not been into one, but odds are those studs are probably just pressed into place, with maybe a small tack weld. I myself would give it a good wack, and I bet they pop out. Keep a eye on it at first just to make sure your not bending the blower frame all up, but I bet you get them out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
havent done one on a thrower yet,
need to do that or find someone that can machine my engine,
have a briggs 2stroke on my 22"atlas blower
motor is a 62032

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
I recently did one and found they popped out pretty easy. I was using something like a 5 or 10 pound sledge. I wasn't swinging it, but rather letting it hang straight down and dropping it. I found that more force worked better than trying to baby them. The ones I hit harder popped out in 1 shot. The one I tried to baby took like 4 tries and bent the old stud.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts