192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
First things first, what size and brand of blower are you putting it on. The torque figures are close enough if correct, so what you are really paying for is the 12v starter. I've heard of others in Canada using the Princess Auto engines for winter applications without issue, so I wouldn't worry to much about that. I say for the extra $20 get the 420cc, but then I can't say I would drop $400 on a motor for an OPE application.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is that torque @ 3600rpm or peak torque?

In a dynamic load situation (like EOD) the larger displacement 420 would probably recover/maintain rpm better than the smaller one.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those engines you listed sounds tempting however they don't look ready for winter use as their shroud is only for a paper filter.
Would you not be interested in Briggs And Stratton? They have winterized engines with lots of torque.

Snow Series 2100 Snowblower Engine | Briggs and Stratton Small Engines
did you see the price on BnS engines??

and yes these dont have a shroud for winter use.. however, they only had the 420cc winterized available so no specs on the 389cc winterized.. hence why i use these to compare..

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Is that torque @ 3600rpm or peak torque?

In a dynamic load situation (like EOD) the larger displacement 420 would probably recover/maintain rpm better than the smaller one.
your very correct in asking what RPM the torque figures happen.. who knows! lol it would be more helpfull to see the curves of HP and Tq.. its safe to assume 3600 rpms is not torque peak but HP peak as is with most small engines made.. max torque (printed) usually happens between 2400-2800 rpms.. so why rev more right? Torque is what keep you from dropping RPM`s under load in my book which is why i wonder.. why go with that extra 30cc`s if its got about 1 ft-lb less..hmm.. and then theers that 16hp Duromax on amazon lol claimed 21ft-lbs.. i think we have a winner ;)

http://www.amazon.com/DuroMax-Splitter-Power-Engine-Motor/dp/B0040ZWTZ0/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1414295208&sr=1-2

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
21 foot is huge. That thing will hurl the snow! I would suggest placing a piece of metal between the gas tank and the top of the engine. I did this on both of my engines to keep snow and ice out of the governor linkages. If cold and humid you may need a heater box to prevent carburetor icing. Dry cold will not ice up a carburetor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts