Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard a new one today when I went to buy non-ethanol gas at the usual place. Guy told me a car salesman told him once you start using non-ethanol gas you can't go back to ethanol gas. I don't believe it.

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Heard a new one today when I went to buy non-ethanol gas at the usual place. Guy told me a car salesman told him once you start using non-ethanol gas you can't go back to ethanol gas. I don't believe it.

Absolute Truth :devil:

In all seriousness, once you find out how well your OPE engines run on non-oxygenated fuel, you'll never go back. Many years ago I had a couple of engines that ran like crap on gasohol and I'd used every trick in the book on them. It tried some non-oxygenated fuel in them and they ran like champs without changing a thing. I permanently switched from gasohol fuel to non-alcohol and never looked back at least as far as OPE goes.

·
Registered
986 Posts
So it is not that you can't go back, you don't want to go back. Ethanol has much less Btu's than gas so non-ethanol gas will give an engine more power. I think it is hard to tell the difference in a snowblower engine but under load there will be a power increase with non-ethanol gas. For car use the difference is noticeable due to better fuel economy (that you can measure) and the electronics take advantage of the usually higher octane to reduce knock while advancing the ignition for a better burn performance. I even notice smoother idling on my car with non-ethanol gas; but I have to pay a 60 cent premium per US gallon (here in Canada).

Non-ethanol gas keeps for well over a year in storage and no need for expensive stabilisers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve switched to truefuel since I cannot get non ethanol near me. I swear I feel a difference. Back to one pull to start, runs smooth. I will only run it in the new equipment now. I buy the quarts by the case about twice a year, so the price difference doesn’t really sting that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve switched to truefuel since I cannot get non ethanol near me. I swear I feel a difference. Back to one pull to start, runs smooth. I will only run it in the new equipment now. I buy the quarts by the case about twice a year, so the price difference doesn’t really sting that much.

Sorry, I know that’s not the point of the post, but I would not want to switch back but there is no reason you can’t. Like previously said. Pfft, car salesman.

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
I don't believe there's any absolute reason you can't switch from non-oxygenated fuel to gasohol (despite what the salesman stated).

IMO the minor cost difference in cost between the 2 types of fuel is worth the cost to avoid alcohol in your OPE fuel. Especially when you look at older equipment, things like rubber parts can be attacked by the alcohol. Same thing with some floats and gaskets - if they weren't formulated for alcohol blends, that same alcohol can attack internal parts.
I forget the proper name for it, but IIRC the alcohol in gasohol will attract and hold water to a much higher degree than pure gasoline.
I've bought, rebuilt and sold a lot of machines over the years. Those that weren't drained of fuel prior to being stored had significantly more carburetor issues with crystallization and left over garbage in the carbs and were harder to get cleaned up. That's a personal observation on my part, but it's still a pain to deal with.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
There is no damage if you dont leave gas sitting in it or treat your gas with stabul
run seafoam in it right before year end
can also run 1/2 a tank of true fuel to clean it out after seafoam
that carb pic is the fault of the owner
consumer reports is mostly useless
Ive never had damage to my tec carb it is 35 yrs old and counting

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I wish I can find non ethanol fuel near me at a decent price. I run through too much for those prepackaged cans and only a couple gas stations near me that I know of can special order for me and amd require an $80 deposit for there cans. Zip 02830 if anyone personally knows a station within reasonable distance chime in. And don't bother using Google it isn't accurate.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I wish I can find non ethanol fuel near me at a decent price. I run through too much for those prepackaged cans and only a couple gas stations near me that I know of can special order for me and amd require an $80 deposit for there cans. Zip 02830 if anyone personally knows a station within reasonable distance chime in. And don't bother using Google it isn't accurate.
Do you know about these 5 gas stations in RI?
https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=RI

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
My stuff starts and runs way better using gas without ethanol. I used to hold my breath when starting equipment with gasoline containing ethanol, now I barely have to look at the starter rope and they start right up. My new Toro needs half choke and one primer pump then barely pulling the cord and it comes to life. When I first got the Husqvarna I was still using ethanol, since switching it starts easier and runs better 3 years later than it did in the first year.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Thanks Co snow but only two of those are those are actually gas stations and those (Sonoco and Mason Automotive ) and those are the special order ones I was speaking of. The others are stores that sell the small cans.

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Thanks Co snow but only two of those are those are actually gas stations and those (Sonoco and Mason Automotive ) and those are the special order ones I was speaking of. The others are stores that sell the small cans.
This is a thought, so it might work or might not. Do you have a small airport around you? I'm not sure, but I believe Aviation fuel does not have alcohol in it. Maybe see if you can buy a couple of gallons of av gas from them and give it a try.

I did a search for stations in RI that sell non alcohol fuel and came up with this: https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=RI

·
Registered
818 Posts
to be clear: ethanol does not attract water. It is hydrophilic, which means ethanol holds water. With regular gasoline (E0) as well at E10, the primary cause of water collecting in tanks is condensation on tank walls. But unlike E0, which can absorb almost no moisture, E10 can hold up to half of one percent of water by volume, and the water molecules will dissolve in the fuel.

So the same total amount of water will be in your tank (from condensation) regardless of the type of gas. It just gets absorbed better in the E10. In the E0 the gas and water stay separated.

Proper maintenance procedures can make the biggest difference. Personally, I have not had problems with Stabil treated E10 gas over the years.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts