Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium GOT Member
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I'm lying , I'm dying.

Seller contacted me that he had a Honda for sale and I saw his ad on Craigslist this morning.
I told him it was a very good price and said it should sell fast today ( being Saturday ) or tomorrow.

He replied "make me an offer " and I told him no. I said be patient, it will sell. His asking price was about 2/3rds of normal for this time a year.

A couple hours later he emails me and says "you can have it for X amount if you can pick up now ( he knocked off an additional 60% off his asking price ).
It was an offer I could not refuse.

I even called him and asked if he was sure. I said you can get 3 TIMES this if you wait until tomorrow. he said he didnt wanna wait.

I show up , look the machine over. start and run it and said OK. Gave him the cash......

I knew something was wrong by the way he was glaring at me the whole time. I didnt say anything but knew he wanted to say something......

He finally says ( exact words ) . "I want you to know I am NOT happy about this."

I stared at him SPEECHLESS. I looked at him and then looked at his wife ( who looked very uncomfortable ). Then back at this blankety blank blank and as calmly as I could muster said
"you reached out to me and made the offer."

He didnt say a word. I loaded up the blower and left.

I thought i have heard and seen everything when buying and selling. I have learned over the years to treat people right and fair and everything works out in the end. that is why I told him to wait and sell for a lot more.

He tried to make me feel like the bad guy. It really upset me. 25 years ago I would have punched him , then told him tomorrow I would sell it for 4 TIMES what i just gave him.
I kept my mouth shut and just left.

·
Registered
709 Posts
If I'm lying , I'm dying.

Seller contacted me that he had a Honda for sale and I saw his ad on Craigslist this morning.
I told him it was a very good price and said it should sell fast today ( being Saturday ) or tomorrow.

He replied "make me an offer " and I told him no. I said be patient, it will sell. His asking price was about 2/3rds of normal for this time a year.

A couple hours later he emails me and says "you can have it for X amount if you can pick up now ( he knocked off an additional 60% off his asking price ).
It was an offer I could not refuse.

I even called him and asked if he was sure. I said you can get 3 TIMES this if you wait until tomorrow. he said he didnt wanna wait.

I show up , look the machine over. start and run it and said OK. Gave him the cash......

I knew something was wrong by the way he was glaring at me the whole time. I didnt say anything but knew he wanted to say something......

He finally says ( exact words ) . "I want you to know I am NOT happy about this."

I stared at him SPEECHLESS. I looked at him and then looked at his wife ( who looked very uncomfortable ). Then back at this blankety blank blank and as calmly as I could muster said
"you reached out to me and made the offer."

He didnt say a word. I loaded up the blower and left.

I thought i have heard and seen everything when buying and selling. I have learned over the years to treat people right and fair and everything works out in the end. that is why I told him to wait and sell for a lot more.

He tried to make me feel like the bad guy. It really upset me. 25 years ago I would have punched him , then told him tomorrow I would sell it for 4 TIMES what i just gave him.
I kept my mouth shut and just left.
Maybe the unit is stolen??

·
Premium GOT Member
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
geesus criminy .

now i gotta tell you "the rest of the story"

professional guy and his wife sells home to move to bay area.
wanted to leave snowblower with house.

the new owners at first agreed but TODAY changed their minds and wanted no part of it ( crazy )

the sellers had TODAY to sell it. they are leaving town in the morning.

desperate to sell fast.

end of freaking story, it is not a GD stolen snowblower, Mommy and Daddy

see you guys in a month.......maybe

GOT

·
Registered
105 Posts
He was running out of time, his other choice was to give it away for free, at least he got something for it and should be happy about that.
I have been in the same situation, a few years back We sold our home in Toronto and had to move within 15 days,, just before the move I had to get rid of a lot of tools and furniture, exercise equipment, window A/C, TV. Toys etc,etc., so I resolved myself to the fact that the easiest way to get them out of the house was , to give them away.

I gave away stuff that would have made money had I had the time to sell them but never regretted giving them away, I got what I wanted and people got good stuff free just by showing up the same day for the pick up.

This guy in your post had a choice ,either to give the machine free to the first person who showed up or get something for it, well he got something for it just not as much as he thought , believe me he's happy the machine is gone and probably as happy because he managed to make you feel bad right at the end. my advice is to ignore the cheap SOB, people give stuff away and get some satisfaction for doing so, this guy sounds tight as a frog's Arse. did not give it away and was not happy selling it at lower price.

·
Registered
799 Posts
A seller feeling bad about getting less than they want for an item, is natural.
Trying to make the buyer feel bad about the seller's circumstance is selfish. I'm sure the seller had lots of time to do this sale before the last day. Poor planning on his part. His loss.
You getting a good deal. Bonus!!!!
When we were picking up our oldest son from college graduation his roommate was out in the parking lot smashing up his apartment furniture so that no one else could pull it out of the dumpster, as he had no room to take it home. I thought that was a sign of poor character. At least this guy let it go to a new home for someone else to use.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
The seller was getting zero $ for the machine including it with the sale of his house.
He could have gifted it to a friend, relative or neighbour or offered it up for free and it would have been gone with little stress.
He contacts you and sets a price that gets him out of a bind and at least puts some $xxx in his pocket and makes you feel like the bad guy???

Unfortunately it has become all too common in our society these days for people to blame others for the situation they find themselves in.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I had that happen with an Intake manifold a guy was selling a couple of years ago. He listed 3 aluminum aftermarket SBC intakes for $50 each, as I looked at the picture I could clearly see the middle one was a Holley Strip Dominator intake for a BBC. Called the guy and said I will take the one in the middle, he asked if I would but the others but since they were not nothing I could used he said ok. I get there, pay the guy take the intake and I'm gone. 2 days later he said another guy had contacted him on that same intake and asked why everyone wanted that one. Turns out it's a $300 intake, so now he's pissed at me for the low ball offer I gave him. I replied "you set the price, I just claimed the deal" had the same deal on a blower last fall for $35 guy said it was worth over $500 if it runs, no doubt it is I said, but it don't run now. Got it home, fixed it in 35 minutes and sold it the next day for $400.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Canadian tire “mastercraft” made by MTD with tecumseh engine HM-80 1155334N
481 Posts
Day by day I hate humans more and more.

blower was going to be given away in the first place? Should have just left it in the house, or given it to a good neighbor.

my lord I’ve sold stuff but changed my mind and refused money because I thought they needed the item more than I needed the money.

but people do take advantage. I usually keep an ear open at work. If I know of a young couple just starting out, or going through hard times ‘sick child, etc I’ll just donate,stuff to them.

feels good and I don’t have to deal with bad humans.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.