Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I think it could be done, but will tricky trying to get the case back on around the valve. I eventually want to go with that approach too, or at least shorten the loop I put on mine in the picture above. The main reason I hadn't tried drilling a hole yet is because I didn't want to permanently alter the case in case I made a mistake or had any other issues putting it all back together. If you do it, post some pictures back with and without the case on, I'd be curious to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think it could be done, but will tricky trying to get the case back on around the valve. I eventually want to go with that approach too, or at least shorten the loop I put on mine in the picture above. The main reason I hadn't tried drilling a hole yet is because I didn't want to permanently alter the case in case I made a mistake or had any other issues putting it all back together. If you do it, post some pictures back with and without the case on, I'd be curious to see how it turns out.
Howie, I was able to do this mod today, below are some pictures;

This is the before photo showing the engine housing.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Plant Motor vehicle

This picture has the housing removed and shows the existing fuel line.
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle

This picture shows where the fuel cut off valve will be inserted/installed.
Steering part Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Finger

This photo shows the **** off valve installed in the existing fuel line, a section was cut out to accommodate the valve.
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Automotive design Automotive wheel system

Photo below shows the cut out in the engine housing which allows access to the **** off valve. It is not as clean as I would have liked, but not bad considering. :)
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

View attachment 194041

View attachment 194039

View attachment 194040

This photo shows the **** off valve installed in the existing fuel line, a section was cut out to accommodate the valve.
View attachment 194038

Photo below shows the cut out in the engine housing which allows access to the **** off valve. It is not as clean as I would have liked, but not bad considering. :)
View attachment 194042
Hey if it works, it works! I suppose using a spade bit or hole saw might have made a cleaner hole, but it would be hard to know exactly where to drill it with the case off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey if it works, it works! I suppose using a spade bit or hole saw might have made a cleaner hole, but it would be hard to know exactly where to drill it with the case off.
Yup, I kinda guessed where to make the hole :) my initial hole was too small to get my fingers in it to turn the valve :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
If it didn't come with one from the factory, why go to all that trouble, haven't shut off a fuel line in yrs??
When gas sits in the carb bowl, it evaporates through the jets and leaves deposits in the jets and the deposits plug up the jets. So the performance is degraded. Eventually the thing won't start or it surges/hunts. Then maybe you think something major is wrong with it and you get rid of it, or the carb and the jets get cleaned.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would probably use a right-angle shutoff valve to reduce the bend in the hose from 180 to 90. Or maybe pair such a valve with a right-angle filter or an elbow so that all runs of hose would be approximately straight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I would probably use a right-angle shutoff valve to reduce the bend in the hose from 180 to 90. Or maybe pair such a valve with a right-angle filter or an elbow so that all runs of hose would be approximately straight.
Thanks for that suggestion. I just looked at some right-angle shutoff valves and it seems like one of those could help. I was planning to take things apart and shorten the fuel line loop soon, maybe I'll try a new valve or filter/elbow on it.

·
Registered
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
783 Posts

View attachment 194041

View attachment 194039

View attachment 194040

View attachment 194038

View attachment 194042
May want to think about putting a couple U brackets on the inside (around the fuel line) and bolted through the housing with nuts on the outside to pull the fuel line (and shut off) so it’s proud of the housing. I’d also find a piece of black plastic to use as an escutcheon plate to cover the rough hole and give you more of a finished look.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts