Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
MTD Dual Stage 31AE6B3H501 and Craftsman Dual Stage C950-52677-7
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familiar with these snow blowers? My Craftsman is going to need some attention so I want to pick up a backup to get me by. It's a Yard Man (built by MTD?) With a Tecumseh motor and is a 10.5hp 30 inch cut. Seems solid enough for a couple hundred bucks. I stopped by to look at this and the only rear issue I found was the cable for the chute to pull back up doesn't work. But starts and runs nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
$200? Though it's way at the top price what I'd pay for it because I'm a reseller and have to buy right because of the time I put in to it, $200 is cheap. Personally, I like 26" machines, 30" is wide, and I have a 30", and 29", 27", 26", 24", 22", 20".

Reactions: nbwinter

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Yes, made by MTD.

I have recently rehabbed an MTD Gold version of that snowblower but in the 8.5HP / 26" bucket form factor. The original bucket and the gearbox were damaged, so I installed a 24" bucket on it.

I got to test it out in the last snowstorm and it throws pretty far without clogging.

I'd check for the axle bushings to see if they are worn (they are likely to be plastic). The bushings are really easy to change out, but only if the wheels are not frozen to the axle. I'd recommend that you pull the pins off that hold the wheels to the axle and see if the wheels will slide off of the axle.

I'd also recommend adding a fuel shutoff valve because I think MTD snowblowers from this vintage (early to mid 2000s) usually were not equipped with them.

In my opinion, $200 in Canadian dollars is not a bad price.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$200? Though it's way at the top price what I'd pay for it because I'm a reseller and have to buy right because of the time I put in to it, $200 is cheap. Personally, I like 26" machines, 30" is wide, and I have a 30", and 29", 27", 26", 24", 22", 20".
Thanks. Yeah in my area anything below 200 is usually trashed and require way more work than I am comfortable with. This is just something i would like to use as a back up when like this morning after getting 25cm of snow my machine left me high and dry to shovel.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
$200.00 seems fair if the machine runs and operates fine.
What reason did they give for selling?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, made by MTD.

I have recently rehabbed an MTD Gold version of that snowblower but in the 8.5HP / 26" bucket form factor. The original bucket and the gearbox were damaged, so I installed a 24" bucket on it.

I got to test it out in the last snowstorm and it throws pretty far without clogging.

I'd check for the axle bushings to see if they are worn (they are likely to be plastic). The bushings are really easy to change out, but only if the wheels are not frozen to the axle. I'd recommend that you pull the pins off that hold the wheels to the axle and see if the wheels will slide off of the axle.

I'd also recommend adding a fuel shutoff valve because I think MTD snowblowers from this vintage (early to mid 2000s) usually were not equipped with them.

In my opinion, $200 in Canadian dollars is not a bad price.
Thanks. It seems like it is a decent little machine for the money.
$200.00 seems fair if the machine runs and operates fine.
What reason did they give for selling?
He said he has two machines and needs the room in the shed. Had new friction disc and cable installed this fall.

·
Registered
302 Posts
As mentioned check that the wheels come off (or at least one). Check the augers aren't rusted to shaft. These big floppy 30" ones have more cracks at the 6 nuts to studs, bucket to tractor point in my experience. Look inside at the impeller check for bent open blades, especially with that much wear on the auger blades in pics.
Most common issues on the hardware I fix is broken springs (especially drive idler), bushings bushings bushings as mentioned and the ball bearings seizing to the end of the friction hex shaft. Stripped or missing belly pan bolts. They do tend to rot from all the bottom edges up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips guys. I picked it up and she is working great. Wheels come off, auger moves nice, lots of power and throws snow well. I gave it a Fluid Film wipe/spray down and lubed all the pivot points with Deep Creep. I replaced the shear pins and spark plug and then did an oil change to start fresh. Seems like a decent blower. The little tab on the top of the muffler is coming loose but I am assuming I'll just weld it back in place or grab a spare if the bolts come out alright.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Make sure the axle bushings are good on the shaft as the axle will break where it is drivin by the main gear, friend had to replace the shaft last yr and was the better part of $200 for shaft alone, same machine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I'll open it up this weekend and take a peak.
Make sure the axle bushings are good on the shaft as the axle will break where it is drivin by the main gear, friend had to replace the shaft last yr and was the better part of $200 for shaft alone, same machine.

·
Premium Member
6,810 Posts
no way to tell without personal inspection.

watch donyboy73 video on how to buy a good used snowblower. sorry no link.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no way to tell without personal inspection.

watch donyboy73 video on how to buy a good used snowblower. sorry no link.
Thanks. Yeah I saw his and a couple of videos and generally feel pretty mechanically inclined but always great to get extra feedback from the guys who own and work on these a lot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts