Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The feeder clutch cable assembly on my 7hp BobCat broke (Model Type Code 170402 1406-01 8008 1909). My brother owned it for the past couple of years and juryrigged it, but that's now failed and it's probably time to try and fix it proper.

Anyone know where I might be able to find this?

Here's what I'm looking for #31 (p/n 66419A; but not 100% sure that's the part # for my model):

And here's what I have:

Also, should I be looking for a model identifier somewhere else to identify the BobCat model? It looks like "170402 1406-01" is the identifier for the Brigg's engine. The instruction manual posted for the 724-5 model does seem to be a close match if it's not the correct model.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
If you can't find this, it seems to be easily made with parts from the hardware store, cable, spring, clamp, be cheaper.

Of course try Amazon, eBay, PartsTree, Jack's Small Engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hard part I think is that bar which is bent a certain way to get around the other pulleys. There's no direct path a cable on its own could follow.

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts
I'd look for a bicycle brake or shift cable that's a little longer than what you need and with a lead "knob" at one end. Cut it to length and have someone braze it to the original rod.

I'm pretty sure you aren't going to find a new part and not sure a used one wouldn't have the same stress on it in the area this one broke.

Amazon, ebay, bicycle store, hardware store, walmart, .... https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bicycle+brake+cable&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=229141548699&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15208841264599273789&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019031&hvtargid=kwd-303658915420&ref=pd_sl_4858cpuj91_e_p37

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The hard part I think is that bar which is bent a certain way to get around the other pulleys. There's no direct path a cable on its own could follow.
How is the cable attached to the round stock? Did they drill a hole a couple inches deep through the center and solder it in perhaps? Or is it crimped somehow?

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is there a tag on the side of the machine? If your not sure what I mean have a look at my pictures theres a tag there. Send me the numbers I will see what I can find,

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
BC Cable

How is the cable attached to the round stock? Did they drill a hole a couple inches deep through the center and solder it in perhaps? Or is it crimped somehow?
You could try that place near or in Boston for the part. I can't remember the name but I'm sure someone here does.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Cable

I'd look for a bicycle brake or shift cable that's a little longer than what you need and with a lead "knob" at one end. Cut it to length and have someone braze it to the original rod.

I'm pretty sure you aren't going to find a new part and not sure a used one wouldn't have the same stress on it in the area this one broke.

Amazon, ebay, bicycle store, hardware store, walmart, .... https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bicycle+brake+cable&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=229141548699&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15208841264599273789&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019031&hvtargid=kwd-303658915420&ref=pd_sl_4858cpuj91_e_p37
I saw some mean looking cable a a locale bait shop. Might be leader cable for big fish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems to be crimped. I torched the end and nothing melted. The crimp is not very visible though.

So I finally got around to fixing it with the part I had. I bought a bicycle brake cable, but it didn't fit the spring, so I replaced that, too. I used some of those U-bolt cable clamps, 2 tear-drop cable eyes, and a couple of keychain rings to attach things. It worked well, but might need some additional tweaking to ensure it doesn't start rubbing on the drive belt or anything. It's going to be a pain to tighten the cable when it begins to stretch.

I posted photos to imgur. https://imgur.com/a/ebRCLkt

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts
I just realized this is from Feb of last year. It reminds me of me. It takes me a while to get around to all my projects. :devil:
Good to see you've got it running.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts