Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this unit yesterday. Seems like everything works well, but this is kind of old and has a couple little issues so I thought I'd make an account here on this snowblower forum and ask you guys.

1) How to I order replacement tires?
2) The transaxle in the front that the auger attaches to is weeping gear oil slowly. How much of a job is it to disassemble this and change the seals?
3) How old is this thing? I couldn't find a real model number on it anywhere but there is a little badge that reads 1128460. There is also a serial number stamped into the engine case, but I'm surprised there isn't an actual model number plate on the unit somewhere.

Thanks forum!

·
Premium Member
7,511 Posts
call Honda with that 112 # , not the one on engine. and they will tell you month/year .the 55 was built in early 80's

changing those seals is a job unless you know what you are doing. donyboy73 has a good video on you tube on how to. I usually pump in some marine water resistant grease instead.

those tires son't hold air? you can install some tubes.

since you are new , you have to send $50 to my PP acct...........:cool:

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Part of the tire size is hidden in the shadows ..... you need that to order new ones ... I recommend XTrac tires.

Orangputeh is the Honda guru in this forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
call Honda with that 112 # , not the one on engine. and they will tell you month/year .the 55 was built in early 80's

changing those seals is a job unless you know what you are doing. donyboy73 has a good video on you tube on how to. I usually pump in some marine water resistant grease instead.

those tires son't hold air? you can install some tubes.

since you are new , you have to send $50 to my PP acct...........:cool:
In order to install tubes in the tires, I guess I need to remove that valve stem in the rim. Do I just rip it out with a pair of pliers, and then put the tube stem in the hole?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Do the tires leak? From where?

If it was me, I would break the tires from the rim, clean up the rim, apply some bead sealer and air them up.

If they are checked, then yes, I would install a tube if the tire still had good tread.

Of course, I have a mini tire changer, so working on small tires comes easy.

Putting a tube in a small tire can be a challenging endeavor, not to pinch the tube, thus rendering it useless. And yes, you pull the tubeless stem though the rim in order to install the tube stem. They actually make a puller for that that screws on the valve stem. If you rarely do it, just grab it with some channel locks or vice grip, as your not going to use it again anyways.

·
Premium Member
7,511 Posts
In order to install tubes in the tires, I guess I need to remove that valve stem in the rim. Do I just rip it out with a pair of pliers, and then put the tube stem in the hole?
Depends on condition tires. any cracks , then install tubes. n
no cracks? then try what oneacer suggested.

the tire places around me will install and air up tires . some will do it free. some will charge.
it's really not too difficult. check out You-tube videos. I learn something new there almost every day.

Taking off wheels is easy. shut off gas and drain carburetor from drain plug. get a 4X4 or something similar and place in front of bucket. then lift machine and lean bucket on the wood. one of the service positions.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm wondering whether these rims are the split type? That might affect your decisions about how to do things.

I too would add grease (if needed) instead of going into the auger gearbox, but would use "00" low temp grease.

·
Premium Member
7,511 Posts
I'm wondering whether these rims are the split type? That might affect your decisions about how to do things.

I too would add grease (if needed) instead of going into the auger gearbox, but would use "00" low temp grease.
yes they are split rims.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, so much. God I love the internet. Forums are a giant leap forward for mankind. All of you gave me all the answers I was looking for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HS55K1 WA (1985-1987) GX140-TAS Engine, Wheel Drive, Frame Serial 1100001 to 1199999
Ah ha! Thank you! I overpaid for this snowblower then I think, ha ha. I paid $400 for it. Given the age of this thing I probably should have paid more like $200. I didn't realize it was an antique! Oh well, I trust Honda snowblowers and everything else Honda makes a lot though. As long as it doesn't break down on my for a few winters I will still consider it an OK investment. Thanks for that engine model number too I appreciate that. At least the thing seems to start and run really well. One pull. That's always a good feeling.

·
Premium Member
7,511 Posts
ya that the K model. the other 55's came a little earlier. the K models are better.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just bought this unit yesterday. Seems like everything works well, but this is kind of old and has a couple little issues so I thought I'd make an account here on this snowblower forum and ask you guys.

1) How to I order replacement tires?
2) The transaxle in the front that the auger attaches to is weeping gear oil slowly. How much of a job is it to disassemble this and change the seals?
3) How old is this thing? I couldn't find a real model number on it anywhere but there is a little badge that reads 1128460. There is also a serial number stamped into the engine case, but I'm surprised there isn't an actual model number plate on the unit somewhere.

Thanks forum!

View attachment 179638

View attachment 179639

View attachment 179640

View attachment 179641

View attachment 179642

View attachment 179643
Good luck with the Honda. I have found them to be cantankerous to work on at times, but it is a machine that you will get back tenfold what you put in to it.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
HS55K1 WA (1985-1987) GX140-TAS Engine, Wheel Drive, Frame Serial 1100001 to 1199999
ya that the K model. the other 55's came a little earlier. the K models are better.
Yeah, like @orangputeh said, that's a fairly late model HS55 (the K2 was a bit later). You'll definitely get your money's worth out of it. I ran an HS80K1TAS from 1987 to 2017 before replacing it with a HSS1332AATD and the GX240 from it still lives on on my Gardenway Tomahawk Chipper...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts