Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just so glad I found this forum. Like I previously posted I was contemplating buying a new blower till I found this forum and saw a few of you redoing there snowblowers and I found that some were using the Predator engines. Well like I posted my 1989 MTD 5 horse was getting tired so I installed the Predator 212 ,all new bushings and bearings along with paint and new tires and this is how it turned out. Saved me a ton of $$ so to all that posted threads about rebuilds,restores or just redoes or what ever you want to call it. I thanks you all. I never thought about just redoing stuff till I came here. A few pics. Not perfect but oh so close. A little over spray here and there but plenty good enough for me.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Very nice job. Love to see folks savin' old steel! Congrats. MH

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Looking Good

That looks great. It's likely more solid than most you can buy today and saving money is always a good thing. Well done.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Nice rescue!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nice job Skidder. Looks a lot like the '87 5-24 I did about 4 years ago (has the same auger gearbox & housing). When I got her, she was really dilapidated, which was why the guy gave it to me. He must have run into some bricks under the snow because even the augers were bent (because he replaced the shear pins with bolts)! A lot of hammering and bending ensued, along with a complete new set of bushings & bearings and she ran quite well. There was even 1 tooth missing from the ring gear for the augers but that hasn't stopped her yet. The next year I swapped the 5 for an 8 HP Tec with a slightly larger auger pulley and an impeller kit. Now she throws like a champ, easily 40 ft. if not more.
Even if she's not an Ariens or Honda, all it takes is some proper, regular maintenance and smart operation, she'll serve me well for another 10 years at least (or until I finish the rebuild of an ST8-24 924050 that has already dragged on for too long).
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
The bad thing about taking them apart is finding all the stuff you didn't know needed attention but in the end it's well worth it.
With the Predator and new bushings/bearings it's like new at a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Very nice work. Welcome to the club. You are now officially an expert as far as this forum is concerned.

The first time you run that rig after a monster storm I pretty much guarantee you will not be able to shut up about how awesome the performance is. I have a bigger more powerful modern blower and other than throwing further, it doesn't hold a candle to my old restored Ariens.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
great job! everytime i see you guys restore a snowblower it motivates me to do a restoration to one of mine

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to everyone for your kind comments. It was a fun build and I have another all lined up. Don't know much about it except it's from the 70's I think and it still runs. Can't wait to get started.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts