Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my first season with my new 24" Ariens. From what I read, I was supposed to use it for between 3 and 5 hours for break in and then drain the oil. I planned on doing that and replacing the original oil with synthetic. Problem is, with only one significant snow fall this year, I used the blower for only about 2 hours. Should I treat this as I would the break in or should I replace with regular oil for the off season, run for another hour or two to finish the break in next year and then switch to synthetic?

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
JTD, I'm kind of in the same boat as you. My new 24" SHO probably has 5 hours on it. I've changed the oil but just used a traditional 5W30, not synthetic. I'm hoping for a bit more time this season to get some more hours in, but that's looking less likely at this point. I haven't even started the 28" blower yet and that's got me a bit concerned about the gasoline in it from last season...

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I would change the oil with regular (dino) oil. Then go synthetic after at least 5 hours of actual use, not just letting it idle in the driveway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts