Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, but I've been working on Ariens since the early 1970s. This past Thanksgiving my wife got laid off so I started repairing and selling snow blowers. I did pretty good, I worked on most brands but the Ariens were the easiest to move. I had folks drive halfway across Massachusetts to pick them up.

This was one of those winters with snow every week from January 18 till the beginning of March. It helped that I had a local dealer with a "junk" section with decent selection of good used machines. Once I worked my way through that inventory I had to buy from Craigslist.

Now that the season is winding down I've been buying any affordable Ariens I can find. This week's been good, I picked up seven, all for under $60. That will enable me to put whatever I need into them and still sell them for a reasonable price.

I currently have at least one of every series from 1963-1995. I'm particularly fond of the early series with the bulletproof cast iron gear case. My latest acquisition is a 932001, it's adorable, sort of the mini-me of Ariens blowers. It has a 2.7HP electric start engine, the first sub 4HP snow blower I've ever owned. I can't wait to try it out.

I take care of a church in town so I need to have two blowers ready for action. Something inevitably breaks on one of them during the season. My main machine is a 1984 Snapper Large Frame 10301 with a new 15HP engine. My 1984 ST824 is my backup blower, but I make sure it sees action at least once a storm.

I'm in the middle of building a hybrid machine. I was told I couldn't use an old bucket with a newer tractor, so I'm doing it. I have a 1979 tractor that I picked up with blown gear case and bad engine. I also have a 1963 10M-L60 with a tractor unit with "issues" and a poor running engine. I'm going to document it in another thread. This will become my home machine.

Current "inventory":

1963 First Series (part of my hybrid)
1965 10M-L60 (2)
1976 922022 (2)
1978 932001
1979 924040 (part of my hybrid)
1984 924050 (my backup)
1995 924082

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Hi Stanz,
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you will be a big help to a lot of us, with your wealth of experience. I'm eager to hear how you make out with your hybrid.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Welcome to the forum, from the Keystone State.
I see you got the addiction. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts