Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of us got snow last week and many of us could finally pull out our new acquisitions and completed projects and finally use them.
If you don't know me, I restored a Honda HS50, in a most ridiculous and glorious way, as stated by one member "the longest, most expensive restore of a 50 ever." He was correct. Many hours were spent on it, many fingernails broken, tools wrecked, hairs pulled out of my head, it was a frustrating and exciting build. Some of the engineering stretched my imagination, my addled brain thinking, "why the hell would someone design something like that?" Pouring over the shop manual, like the Chiltons manuals we used to buy for our busted old cars in High School, trying to reconstruct something I had only taken apart moments ago, with pictures!
In the end it was glorious, gleaming in the light, a dream for me to behold, to me, it was perfect. Working on other projects I would steal a glance at the 50 and think soon...
Then, the day came, January 14, 2022, five to eight inches, fluffy on top, mushy below, perfect to try out my new, wonderful machine!
I was beside myself with excitement, rushing my call in to the office, rushing through breakfast, answering every question from my family with a single syllable or a grunt. Only thinking about bringing out the glorious 50, ready to see it gleaming in the sunlight, lightly dusted by blowing snow, ready at last for some action.
Dressed and ready to go I carefully brought it out, going slowly so as to relish each and every second. Getting it in a good starting position between the car and the house, I started the pre-flight.
Throttle up, choke on, gas on, and finally, slowly but then quickly I turned the key. With a slight breath I pulled the starter, once... she wanted to go. Twice, and she was off.
But, hmmm, sounds a little weak, pump up the throttle, hmm, still not right. Just needs to warm up a little. Put it in gear squeeze the auger, go, and forward, but it's lacking power. It's the carb, I know it is, I never adjusted it properly. I stop. Should I do this now?
My brain at this point is delirious, you NEED to use the 50 NOW! Fix it! How hard will it be, couple screws, badda boom badda bing.
I shut it down. Immediately after the engine halts I think to myself it would be easier to bring it back over by the crawlspace so I can grab the tools and it wouldn't hurt to fire it up again and make sure it is i fact a simple carb adjustment.
I pre-flight again and pull the cord...and break it, or rather the knot I put at the end of it gave and the cord pulled out [hoping I didn't break something]..
So that was my first use.
Fortunately the Ariens 11528 that I picked up this summer for a possible flip worked like an absolute dream, but that story isn't as fun now is it?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Many of us got snow last week and many of us could finally pull out our new acquisitions and completed projects and finally use them.
If you don't know me, I restored a Honda HS50, in a most ridiculous and glorious way, as stated by one member "the longest, most expensive restore of a 50 ever." He was correct. Many hours were spent on it, many fingernails broken, tools wrecked, hairs pulled out of my head, it was a frustrating and exciting build. Some of the engineering stretched my imagination, my addled brain thinking, "why the hell would someone design something like that?" Pouring over the shop manual, like the Chiltons manuals we used to buy for our busted old cars in High School, trying to reconstruct something I had only taken apart moments ago, with pictures!
In the end it was glorious, gleaming in the light, a dream for me to behold, to me, it was perfect. Working on other projects I would steal a glance at the 50 and think soon...
Then, the day came, January 14, 2022, five to eight inches, fluffy on top, mushy below, perfect to try out my new, wonderful machine!
I was beside myself with excitement, rushing my call in to the office, rushing through breakfast, answering every question from my family with a single syllable or a grunt. Only thinking about bringing out the glorious 50, ready to see it gleaming in the sunlight, lightly dusted by blowing snow, ready at last for some action.
Dressed and ready to go I carefully brought it out, going slowly so as to relish each and every second. Getting it in a good starting position between the car and the house, I started the pre-flight.
Throttle up, choke on, gas on, and finally, slowly but then quickly I turned the key. With a slight breath I pulled the starter, once... she wanted to go. Twice, and she was off.
But, hmmm, sounds a little weak, pump up the throttle, hmm, still not right. Just needs to warm up a little. Put it in gear squeeze the auger, go, and forward, but it's lacking power. It's the carb, I know it is, I never adjusted it properly. I stop. Should I do this now?
My brain at this point is delirious, you NEED to use the 50 NOW! Fix it! How hard will it be, couple screws, badda boom badda bing.
I shut it down. Immediately after the engine halts I think to myself it would be easier to bring it back over by the crawlspace so I can grab the tools and it wouldn't hurt to fire it up again and make sure it is i fact a simple carb adjustment.
I pre-flight again and pull the cord...and break it, or rather the knot I put at the end of it gave and the cord pulled out [hoping I didn't break something]..
Fortunately the Ariens 11528 that I picked up this summer for a possible flip worked like an absolute dream, but that story isn't as fun now is it?
When in doubt the Ariens won out :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hoo-boy. Hop[e you get it going for the next round.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
I feel your let down, as we all want our restores to perform.

I was fortunate, as I was able to try out four of my restored/refurbished units. Did 5 drives.

I still have not yet tried my JD 826, but moved it to the front, for the first one out for the next storm ..... :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the support guys, I put this up more to reinforce that no matter what you do, no matter how much time you put in, a machine can fail, you just have to roll with it... and have a backup machine.
I'll fix the 50 one of these days, it's not a difficult fix, no big deal. It's a classic, it's a little cantankerous and it does not respond well to my ham hands when I am using it. It probably isn't a good machine for me to be honest, its use requires a lighter touch than I possess [why the hell is the throttle tucked behind the handlebar anyway?]
In the meantime I'll use the new to me Ariens, which, to be totally honest, I really like a lot.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When in doubt the Ariens won out :cool:
It got the job done so I guess it did. To be honest, I sort of really like the big thing, it has plenty of power, throws the snow very far, and handles much better than I thought it would for it's size.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel your let down, as we all want our restores to perform.

I was fortunate, as I was able to try out four of my restored/refurbished units. Did 5 drives.

I still have not yet tried my JD 826, but moved it to the front, for the first one out for the next storm ..... :)
You do have a many to choose from, hope they all performed as anticipated.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Yes, now after putting them through their paces, I have the difficult task of which to sell to make room for future projects.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It got the job done so I guess it did. To be honest, I sort of really like the big thing, it has plenty of power, throws the snow very far, and handles much better than I thought it would for it's size.
"King of Snow" 😉

Reactions: Rooskie

·
Registered
623 Posts
At least you got enough snow to try out your 11528, mine is still in the shed crying because there's not enough for him to plow.

·
Registered
199 Posts
funny, cause I just picked up a 11528.....924125. taller auger housing than the deluxe 28...4 blade 14" imp....

came with a mouse nest and chewed belt, rusted shafts for the friction disc slides...was so bound up that the previous owner chewed the side of the friction disc because the shifter arm would get cocked trying to overcome the rust on the shaft.

it sure looks like a monster though.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
funny, cause I just picked up a 11528.....924125. taller auger housing than the deluxe 28...4 blade 14" imp....

came with a mouse nest and chewed belt, rusted shafts for the friction disc slides...was so bound up that the previous owner chewed the side of the friction disc because the shifter arm would get cocked trying to overcome the rust on the shaft.

it sure looks like a monster though.
I got mine with a trashed impeller fan and the oddest paint damage I have ever seen [looked like someone spilled something on it]. The 50 came with a mouse colony, the Ariens, fortunately, did not.
I had my doubts about the Ariens when I got it. The price was right and other than the auger fan and paint, was in excellent condition, but it was a lot bigger than I was looking for. I brought it home anyway. Repaired it with the thought of it being a flipper project. After repair and starting it the first time that changed to it becoming the driveway machine [well, more of a let's use it and see] and the 50 to do the walkways and back deck. I really like the heft it has, everything is pretty thick metal, and it is a very easy model to work on. I've never owned an Ariens, fixed a couple for friends, but never owned one. That has now changed, though I am personally unfamiliar with Ariens i have to say that I am very impressed with this machine, it is a keeper for me and the 50 will be relegated to occasional use and most likely spending the next couple months haunting the corner of the shop as something nice to look at.
Over the last couple days I have been rethinking the 50 altogether, possibly gasp selling it and just getting a smaller wheeled unit to do the deck and walkways [maybe a 5HP 22" would be nice]. It is a beautiful machine and I don't regret what I put in to it [I do a lot of rebuild projects to keep myself busy and in the workshop] but I just don't think it is the right blower for me. I may be very precise and meticulous in the shop when working on something but when it comes to use I am a ham-fisted animal just trying to get the work done. The Ariens was designed for this with big levers in an easy location, it can also take me slamming it around. The 50 needs more of a gentile touch. I compare them like this, the Ariens is like a 1970s 1-Ton pickup, built to do a job and take some punishment, if it breaks you open the hood, climb in, and fix it, for the most part everything is "right there" just like those old pickups. The 50 is more like an early 80s sports car, nice to look at, smooth to operate [when working] but pretty fussy and overly complicated. Repairs and adjustments are part of any and all equipment, but to do repairs and adjustments on the 50 is a somewhat involved process, for example, I broke the pull start cord, to replace that will be an arduous process, if the same were to break on the Ariens/Tecumseh I could have it fixed in less than an hour [including digging through the shop to find the screwdrivers that I always misplace in there].

And there I go, off on a tangent. Sorry about that. If it's economically viable for you to repair your 11528/924125 I say do it, you will be very happy with the machine. I am.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I got mine with a trashed impeller fan and the oddest paint damage I have ever seen [looked like someone spilled something on it]. The 50 came with a mouse colony, the Ariens, fortunately, did not.
I had my doubts about the Ariens when I got it. The price was right and other than the auger fan and paint, was in excellent condition, but it was a lot bigger than I was looking for. I brought it home anyway. Repaired it with the thought of it being a flipper project. After repair and starting it the first time that changed to it becoming the driveway machine [well, more of a let's use it and see] and the 50 to do the walkways and back deck. I really like the heft it has, everything is pretty thick metal, and it is a very easy model to work on. I've never owned an Ariens, fixed a couple for friends, but never owned one. That has now changed, though I am personally unfamiliar with Ariens i have to say that I am very impressed with this machine, it is a keeper for me and the 50 will be relegated to occasional use and most likely spending the next couple months haunting the corner of the shop as something nice to look at.
Over the last couple days I have been rethinking the 50 altogether, possibly gasp selling it and just getting a smaller wheeled unit to do the deck and walkways [maybe a 5HP 22" would be nice]. It is a beautiful machine and I don't regret what I put in to it [I do a lot of rebuild projects to keep myself busy and in the workshop] but I just don't think it is the right blower for me. I may be very precise and meticulous in the shop when working on something but when it comes to use I am a ham-fisted animal just trying to get the work done. The Ariens was designed for this with big levers in an easy location, it can also take me slamming it around. The 50 needs more of a gentile touch. I compare them like this, the Ariens is like a 1970s 1-Ton pickup, built to do a job and take some punishment, if it breaks you open the hood, climb in, and fix it, for the most part everything is "right there" just like those old pickups. The 50 is more like an early 80s sports car, nice to look at, smooth to operate [when working] but pretty fussy and overly complicated. Repairs and adjustments are part of any and all equipment, but to do repairs and adjustments on the 50 is a somewhat involved process, for example, I broke the pull start cord, to replace that will be an arduous process, if the same were to break on the Ariens/Tecumseh I could have it fixed in less than an hour [including digging through the shop to find the screwdrivers that I always misplace in there].

And there I go, off on a tangent. Sorry about that. If it's economically viable for you to repair your 11528/924125 I say do it, you will be very happy with the machine. I am.
oh yea..i got it pretty much ready, except the carb. had it off 2 times...wont pull fuel...cant get fuel even with the prime. i hesitate to pull that plastic emulsion tube out, i just know that it will break...

maybe 1 more time.... it did fire on carb cleaner :D

I agree on the machine, easy to work on, all common parts....even had a backup drive disc....BUT i go look for a new disc..and It went up ...man this inflation is REAL

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh yea..i got it pretty much ready, except the carb. had it off 2 times...wont pull fuel...cant get fuel even with the prime. i hesitate to pull that plastic emulsion tube out, i just know that it will break...

maybe 1 more time.... it did fire on carb cleaner :D

I agree on the machine, easy to work on, all common parts....even had a backup drive disc....BUT i go look for a new disc..and It went up ...man this inflation is REAL
I replaced the carb on mine with one of the cheap ones from EBay, works perfectly, for $15 I would pitch the one you have and just get another one. While I was in there I also replaced the primer button and any/all associated fuel lines.
Parts are getting crazy expensive, I dropped almost $175 on a new impeller fan and auger axle [due to the fan being damaged and rusted solid to the axle], Not ideal for pricing, but all told for the $275 [total with machine cost] I spent on it I am pleased with the result thus far.

·
Registered
199 Posts
check the prices on carbs...https://www.amazon.com/Blowers-Carburetor-Tecumseh-OH318SA-OHSK100/dp/B07P9D8893

·
Registered
164 Posts
That is just the most fantastic and funny story I have heard in a long time! Your dedication and expectations, and finally all in ruins. I really feel with you strongly. And then the Ariens just doing the job. But not at all what you were wishing for:ROFLMAO: Hoping for the next episode soon Dave!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
check the prices on carbs...https://www.amazon.com/Blowers-Carburetor-Tecumseh-OH318SA-OHSK100/dp/B07P9D8893
They are on EBay for sale between $12 - $20, depending on if you want the gas lines, primer bulb, etc included. I never use Amazon for parts, EBay has always done me right. If EBay doesn't have it I go to Jacks or one of those.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts