Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That is just the most fantastic and funny story I have heard in a long time! Your dedication and expectations, and finally all in ruins. I really feel with you strongly. And then the Ariens just doing the job. But not at all what you were wishing for:ROFLMAO: Hoping for the next episode soon Dave!
Glad you enjoyed, that's why I posted it, sometimes the best laugh is when we laugh at ourselves. It also helps to commiserate with others who have been in the exact same situation. As I age it is easier [and better] to laugh at something and move on than to get bent about it.
There will be more to come, winter is really just getting started around here.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I dont use amazon either.
that carb......cheapest is 19 bux..and its in china..

unless you see something I dont... Carburetor Tecumseh For 640169 Models OH318SA OHSK100 OHSK110OHSK80 OHSK90 Carburetor Tecumseh For 640169 Models OH318SA OHSK100 OHSK110OHSK80 OHSK90 | eBay
Keep digging, you'll find it. I found one for $16.88, try searching "Adjustable Carburetor Carb for Tecumseh HMSK80 HMSK90 LH318SA LH358SA Snowblower" I would send you the link for the one I bought but NLA. Not sure if this link will work but I found this one:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Keep digging, you'll find it. I found one for $16.88, try searching "Adjustable Carburetor Carb for Tecumseh HMSK80 HMSK90 LH318SA LH358SA Snowblower" I would send you the link for the one I bought but NLA. Not sure if this link will work but I found this one:

yea..i guess I could run that one......just run a longer fuel line, since it doesnt have the side 90 degree fuel inlet.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
yea..i guess I could run that one......just run a longer fuel line, since it doesnt have the side 90 degree fuel inlet.
They carry them at my local Ace Hardware, a new 45 degree fuel inlet is only a couple bucks. If you keep searching you’ll find one that matches you just have to be creative with the search verbiage sometimes.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I basically use Amazon for my aftermarket carbs but have used eBay on occasion for specific model. Definitely try and get adjustable for sure.

"How do you decide? Do you make a list of pros and cons or do you have favorites?"

I actually lean towards the older solid units, with the original steel frames and buckets and the original steel large, full bucket, wide ribbon augers. I am actually very impressed with the 824 Snapper I restored, as I did 2 driveways with that this past storm, as they were farther from my house, and that one will be a keeper. I did not have enough time to use the JD 826 I restored, but next storm that will be first use, and I expect that to exceed my expectations.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I basically use Amazon for my aftermarket carbs but have used eBay on occasion for specific model. Definitely try and get adjustable for sure.

"How do you decide? Do you make a list of pros and cons or do you have favorites?"

I actually lean towards the older solid units, with the original steel frames and buckets and the original steel large, full bucket, wide ribbon augers. I am actually very impressed with the 824 Snapper I restored, as I did 2 driveways with that this past storm, as they were farther from my house, and that one will be a keeper. I did not have enough time to use the JD 826 I restored, but next storm that will be first use, and I expect that to exceed my expectations.
Makes sense to me, I agree with you on the preference of the older solid units.
I prefer to pick up something a nominal price, repair it and use it until I either don't like it and sell it for a marginal return, or until I find something else I want to try out, or maybe just keep it around as a backup. If I buy new [which I have done for some equipment] it now MUST last for a certain duration so it shows me some value, if I were to drop $900 or more on a new blower that blower would need to work well for the next 10 years or more for me to call it a sound investment. I am also far too cheap [is frugal a better word?] to buy a new blower when I can just keep my eye out for a nice used one for substantially less.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Yeah, I get mine for free, or very minimal cost ... I never bought a new snowblower, and never will.

It's amazing what people discard ... but totally understandable, as people don't have the tools, space, or the knowledge to dismantle and repair something. It's a throw-a-way and buy new era we are in for most people.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yeah, I get mine for free, or very minimal cost ... I never bought a new snowblower, and never will.

It's amazing what people discard ... but totally understandable, as people don't have the tools, space, or the knowledge to dismantle and repair something. It's a throw-a-way and buy new era we are in for most people.
Unfortunately you are correct. There are two types of people, those who can/will fix things, and those who don't.
I have a brother-in-law with no technical ability, he buys new and when it breaks, he throws it away and buys new again. He has always been this way, but he has always done well and easily can afford this outlook. I wish I could afford to think like that.
But, it is more prevalent and sellers know this so they design things with "planned obsolesce" and no one cares. I had a dishwasher, spent $850 on it, four years later the sump pump went, so I went online to buy a new one, guess what? They don't make them anymore, not even a similar replacement part, to the scrap heap it went. TV's? Does anyone even bother repairing them anymore, pitch it and drop another $800 on a new, bigger one. Cars are the same way now, drive it for 6-8 years and get another one. My in-laws think I'm nuts that I purchased our cars, my 2008 Honda is still on the road, my 2015 as well, regular maintenance is the key, both have been paid off for many years. Eventually they will have to go, like everything else...

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Funny you mention that, as I have a brother-in-law that is well off, and he will discard and buy new ... he has no desire or where-with-all to even attempt any repair. I am usually on the receiving end.

I bought brand new a 1999 Durang, and a 2001 LHS ... both are still looking new and run great.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It's not just wealthy Brother-in-Laws, unfortunately it is the way of the world. Less people going into the trades, less people doing work that "gets your hands dirty."
Was at a cocktail party for work [I'm a construction Project Manager for a decent sized firm] and when someone brought up an issue they were having with a lawnmower, I suggested taking it apart and checking the carb and linkages. Everyone looked at me like I had two heads, "but I only paid $350 for it" was the reply, "I'll just get another one." I am in construction, I started out as a Carpenter, we use tools all the time, in fact, we have to assess the value of tools when we do the cost budget for the project, some of these guys use tools every-single-day and they can't even be bothered to take a look at something, pitch and get new. It's everywhere.
I won't wax poetic on how most manufactures are seriously taking advantage of this throw away society, but the mentality is here to stay. No one cares, they will complain on Facebook but nothing will ever be done. Maybe when we run out of room to put our garbage people will start thinking differently but.... I'll stop here, politics/economics/sociology are not good dinner conversation and certainly not good forum content.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I totally understand your pain Dave, I have an old ariens deluxe 824 from 1974, did a valve job last may, now, it is having carb issue, it is sooooo frustrating. but I am not willing to let it go, I paid a lot for the 2 valve, and I want to be proud of it, not cussing over the fact that it won't start, it will be my summer project, and it will run, I swear it will, one way or another.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I totally understand your pain Dave, I have an old ariens deluxe 824 from 1974, did a valve job last may, now, it is having carb issue, it is sooooo frustrating. but I am not willing to let it go, I paid a lot for the 2 valve, and I want to be proud of it, not cussing over the fact that it won't start, it will be my summer project, and it will run, I swear it will, one way or another.
I hear you Phil. I’ve done the same in the past, once an investment is made into a machine I’ll be damned if I don’t get at least that value back. That mentality has led me down the “throwing good after bad” situation once in a while but I always get my investment back in one way or another. Good luck with the 824.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I totally agree with the throwaway and buy new mentality. That's exactly how I got my lawn mower. It's nothing special, a 21-in cut, Craftsman branded Murray machine. I picked it up off the curb. Sign said, "doesn't run, free". Now what do you think was wrong with this lawn mower? Bad gas, dirty carburetor, bad spark plug? Nope. The air cleaner was so dirty the engine couldn't breathe. Took the air cleaner out, started on one pull. New air cleaner and I was off and running mowing my lawn 😁. This was back in the spring of 2013. I still use that mower to this day. I've had to replace a couple of little parts here and there but nothing engine related other than the air cleaner. I'm going to run it till it dies.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I totally agree with the throwaway and buy new mentality. That's exactly how I got my lawn mower. It's nothing special, a 21-in cut, Craftsman branded Murray machine. I picked it up off the curb. Sign said, "doesn't run, free". Now what do you think was wrong with this lawn mower? Bad gas, dirty carburetor, bad spark plug? Nope. The air cleaner was so dirty the engine couldn't breathe. Took the air cleaner out, started on one pull. New air cleaner and I was off and running mowing my lawn 😁. This was back in the spring of 2013. I still use that mower to this day. I've had to replace a couple of little parts here and there but nothing engine related other than the air cleaner. I'm going to run it till it dies.
same thing happen to me last spring, I got free 2016 fwd yardwork mower that was hard to start, turns out, the air filter was plugged with dirt, I cleaned it and it ran like a champ, came with a bag, was missing some hardware for the handle, but I found everything I needed for it, sold it for 160 or 170, all profit, no money was put in it, always started on pull hot, 2 or 3 when cold, depending on the weather.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Many of us got snow last week and many of us could finally pull out our new acquisitions and completed projects and finally use them.
If you don't know me, I restored a Honda HS50, in a most ridiculous and glorious way, as stated by one member "the longest, most expensive restore of a 50 ever." He was correct. Many hours were spent on it, many fingernails broken, tools wrecked, hairs pulled out of my head, it was a frustrating and exciting build. Some of the engineering stretched my imagination, my addled brain thinking, "why the hell would someone design something like that?" Pouring over the shop manual, like the Chiltons manuals we used to buy for our busted old cars in High School, trying to reconstruct something I had only taken apart moments ago, with pictures!
In the end it was glorious, gleaming in the light, a dream for me to behold, to me, it was perfect. Working on other projects I would steal a glance at the 50 and think soon...
Then, the day came, January 14, 2022, five to eight inches, fluffy on top, mushy below, perfect to try out my new, wonderful machine!
I was beside myself with excitement, rushing my call in to the office, rushing through breakfast, answering every question from my family with a single syllable or a grunt. Only thinking about bringing out the glorious 50, ready to see it gleaming in the sunlight, lightly dusted by blowing snow, ready at last for some action.
Dressed and ready to go I carefully brought it out, going slowly so as to relish each and every second. Getting it in a good starting position between the car and the house, I started the pre-flight.
Throttle up, choke on, gas on, and finally, slowly but then quickly I turned the key. With a slight breath I pulled the starter, once... she wanted to go. Twice, and she was off.
But, hmmm, sounds a little weak, pump up the throttle, hmm, still not right. Just needs to warm up a little. Put it in gear squeeze the auger, go, and forward, but it's lacking power. It's the carb, I know it is, I never adjusted it properly. I stop. Should I do this now?
My brain at this point is delirious, you NEED to use the 50 NOW! Fix it! How hard will it be, couple screws, badda boom badda bing.
I shut it down. Immediately after the engine halts I think to myself it would be easier to bring it back over by the crawlspace so I can grab the tools and it wouldn't hurt to fire it up again and make sure it is i fact a simple carb adjustment.
I pre-flight again and pull the cord...and break it, or rather the knot I put at the end of it gave and the cord pulled out [hoping I didn't break something]..
So that was my first use.
Fortunately the Ariens 11528 that I picked up this summer for a possible flip worked like an absolute dream, but that story isn't as fun now is it?
Reading this I pictured the dad in the movie "Christmas story" opening his leg lamp, proudly displaying it in his window and then to have it crumble in pieces and trying to salvage it, only to take it to the trash LMAO.
Anyone else?

DAVE: you missed your calling, forget the machines, become an author or write a movie script. Not many people have the talent of writing to give their readers an absolute visual as if we were standing next to you the entire time.

·
Premium GOT Member
8,697 Posts
Really doesnt sound all that bad to me. Put it on back burner until ready to fix.
BTDT

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Lol .... happened to me today .... fired up my newly restored JD 826, runs and looks awesome ... did not use it last storm, as I used four other ones. .... went to play a bit in the remaining snow before the next storm ... augers under load stopped, pushing the snow like a plow, impeller spinning like an airplane...... I laughed and said what the €~#%[email protected] ....... guess I missed a key after I rebuilt the gearbox with new bushings and seals ...... guess I know what I'll be doing next warm day ..... so I put both my Ariens 10000 in line along with my YardMan 7100-2 in the front of the fleet, All gassed up and siliconed up, ready to go for Monday.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts