Snowblower Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
thus....back up machine tactic wins again.
yup!

really sux working in a cold garage......
Did that last night putting. New kill switch in a little Kipor IG2000 suitcase generator. Once I couldn't feel my nose anymore I knew it couldn't get worse. Today....really nice out and fairly warmish. But no, had to do it last night and get it done. LOL

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I have heat in my shop, so that is not the issue, but I have to move a few machines out to work on something, and then back in, so I really want a nice day that I can leave the garage door pretty much open ... :) we'll have more nice days, ... I have many blowers, so no big deal ... :) I put new bushing and seals in the gearbox, and thought I had key in the keyway, guess not .... :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Unfortunately you are correct. There are two types of people, those who can/will fix things, and those who don't.
I have a brother-in-law with no technical ability, he buys new and when it breaks, he throws it away and buys new again. He has always been this way, but he has always done well and easily can afford this outlook. I wish I could afford to think like that.
But, it is more prevalent and sellers know this so they design things with "planned obsolesce" and no one cares. I had a dishwasher, spent $850 on it, four years later the sump pump went, so I went online to buy a new one, guess what? They don't make them anymore, not even a similar replacement part, to the scrap heap it went. TV's? Does anyone even bother repairing them anymore, pitch it and drop another $800 on a new, bigger one. Cars are the same way now, drive it for 6-8 years and get another one. My in-laws think I'm nuts that I purchased our cars, my 2008 Honda is still on the road, my 2015 as well, regular maintenance is the key, both have been paid off for many years. Eventually they will have to go, like everything else...
I drive Hondas as well. If they are maintained properly they last a long time.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Reading this I pictured the dad in the movie "Christmas story" opening his leg lamp, proudly displaying it in his window and then to have it crumble in pieces and trying to salvage it, only to take it to the trash LMAO.
Anyone else?

DAVE: you missed your calling, forget the machines, become an author or write a movie script. Not many people have the talent of writing to give their readers an absolute visual as if we were standing next to you the entire time.
jr27236, thanks. A long time ago when I was a young man fresh out of college I worked as an editor for USA Today, it didn't take me long to figure out two things. First, print media was dying and would be dead soon [yep] and that I wasn't a good enough writer to be anything more than an editor. I wrote a bunch of fiction back in the day too, alas, unpublished. Glad you enjoyed my tale of woe.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Really doesnt sound all that bad to me. Put it on back burner until ready to fix.
BTDT
I appreciate that you're always there to commiserate orangputeh. I have my hands full with another project so it is, as you say, on the back burner for now.

·
Premium GOT Member
8,697 Posts
I appreciate that you're always there to commiserate orangputeh. I have my hands full with another project so it is, as you say, on the back burner for now.
You'll regret it if you sell......just my thought. You have your heart and soul into this and now you think she BETRAYED you......hahaha........I think that sometimes but in the end i realize it was my own damn fault.......missed something or did not inspect thoroughly enough or skipped something.

you'' ll get it. Just back away for awhile and come back with more enthusiasm.

I sold this beauty but I really dont get attached to these things.....not sure why after all the hours put in them. It's the journey I enjoy. When done I move onto something else. have done about 150 or so , so maybe that's it. I can always build another.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
You'll regret it if you sell......just my thought. You have your heart and soul into this and now you think she BETRAYED you......hahaha........I think that sometimes but in the end i realize it was my own damn fault.......missed something or did not inspect thoroughly enough or skipped something.

you'' ll get it. Just back away for awhile and come back with more enthusiasm.

I sold this beauty but I really dont get attached to these things.....not sure why after all the hours put in them. It's the journey I enjoy. When done I move onto something else. have done about 150 or so , so maybe that's it. I can always build another.
You nailed it orangputeh, felt betrayed, after all we've been through... good stuff right there. To be honest, I don't think I could ever part with the 50, it may be a misery to work on, but you never know. I've worked on many machines in the past [quads, mini bikes, all sorts of yard equipment] and sometimes I thought I would keep something, and then the storage area fills up and I do a purge. The real problem is that I keep finding fun things to work on, like the current Bolens project, but it won't keep me distracted for long, something will show up somewhere and I will do the old "must have" and bang, next.

·
Registered
151 Posts
jr27236, thanks. A long time ago when I was a young man fresh out of college I worked as an editor for USA Today, it didn't take me long to figure out two things. First, print media was dying and would be dead soon [yep] and that I wasn't a good enough writer to be anything more than an editor. I wrote a bunch of fiction back in the day too, alas, unpublished. Glad you enjoyed my tale of woe.
Well I guess I recognized your abilities in your tale. You need to write a script that Will Farrell can star in.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Spent some time with the Honda and pulled the recoil started and replaced the line, should be good for a while now. I remember thinking about replacing it when I rebuilt it a few months ago and didn't. Go figure, spent hours replacing everything I could find and didn't...replace...the...recoil line...scratching my head. To be honest it wasn't a big deal, not simple, but not a big PITA, it was easier to work on with it being in much better shape than the last time.
I took a look at the carb and adjusted it up a little bit, it may also be the spring is done, I'll have to bring it outside and run it to see. But, it's wicked cold outside so that won't be done for a while, may miss out on any snow we get [if we get snow] this weekend. Couple complaints about the 50, one, the choke control on the "control panel" is not a good design and leads to much frustration on my part. Two, the carb adjustment on the carb when installed is in possibly the worst possible location for making adjustments. Ok, rant done.
But the Ariens is ready. I made a few tweaks on the speed control and the vertical chute deflector while I was messing around in the shop. As I was impressed with it when I used it last I also ordered and received a set of replacement belts.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Spent some time with the Honda and pulled the recoil started and replaced the line, should be good for a while now. I remember thinking about replacing it when I rebuilt it a few months ago and didn't.
You just made me remember an incident from just about a year ago... We'd had an ice storm and the power was out everywhere. I had had my older Generac generator listed for sale and suddenly everyone wanted to buy it. I got a call and the guy said he was on the way over to buy it. I went out and took it out of the garage to start it up so it would be running when he got there. Gave the cord a good pull and it snapped. I scrambled around and took off the battery box storage bin that blocked access to the recoil starter, disassembled the starter, replaced the rope, reassembled everything, and started it up maybe two minutes before the buyer arrived. Spent those two minutes remembering that I had thought about replacing that cord a few years earlier and hadn't.
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Cylinder Gas

·
Premium GOT Member
8,697 Posts
Spent some time with the Honda and pulled the recoil started and replaced the line, should be good for a while now. I remember thinking about replacing it when I rebuilt it a few months ago and didn't. Go figure, spent hours replacing everything I could find and didn't...replace...the...recoil line...scratching my head. To be honest it wasn't a big deal, not simple, but not a big PITA, it was easier to work on with it being in much better shape than the last time.
I took a look at the carb and adjusted it up a little bit, it may also be the spring is done, I'll have to bring it outside and run it to see. But, it's wicked cold outside so that won't be done for a while, may miss out on any snow we get [if we get snow] this weekend. Couple complaints about the 50, one, the choke control on the "control panel" is not a good design and leads to much frustration on my part. Two, the carb adjustment on the carb when installed is in possibly the worst possible location for making adjustments. Ok, rant done.
But the Ariens is ready. I made a few tweaks on the speed control and the vertical chute deflector while I was messing around in the shop. As I was impressed with it when I used it last I also ordered and received a set of replacement belts.
The 50 has all kinds of design problems. That is why the 55 is such an improvement. Already a classic the 50 in excellent condition will be worth a fortune someday as a collectible. I suggest you put away for your great great great great great grandchildren with the provision that it can not be sold until the year 2222 in which it be worth $1 million is some cryptocurrency.......at least.

or it can hitch a ride on space shuttle looking for an inhabitable planet with the ultra rich before we kill off this planet. they may need snowblowers there.

just ruminating......

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
The 50 has all kinds of design problems. That is why the 55 is such an improvement. Already a classic the 50 in excellent condition will be worth a fortune someday as a collectible. I suggest you put away for your great great great great great grandchildren with the provision that it can not be sold until the year 2222 in which it be worth $1 million is some cryptocurrency.......at least.

or it can hitch a ride on space shuttle looking for an inhabitable planet with the ultra rich before we kill off this planet. they may need snowblowers there.

just ruminating......
You're correct about the 50 orangputeh, it doesn't make for a good "daily driver" so to speak.
I'll play around with it when the weather is a little better. I just can't bear to have a machine that I don't use hanging around. If I held on to every project I ever completed and then didn't use/like I would need a pretty big warehouse to put them in.
It's funny, the 50 has been a problematic project from the jump, there were many times I felt like the machine just did not want to be fixed [if that makes any sense]. The problem is, the harder it fought me, the more problems I found, the more I wanted to fix it, and being the idiot that I am, I assumed I will get back what I put in. I do not believe that will be the case with the 50. But, it is a pretty damn cool machine to look at, if that carries any water. I remember I asked you when I first started working on it if it was worth putting a lot of work in to a 50, you said no, I should have listened. I also tend to forget that it is almost 40 years old and a few things have changed since then.
I am glad that I picked up the Ariens this summer for a backup and beyond doing the repair on the auger I didn't really dig in to it that much. Now I have done some reading about this model and motor and it seems pretty decent, built like a tank with some minimal features. I have read some negative things about the 11.5 Snow King engine but it seems ok to me. I like the Tecumseh engines, I am very familiar with them and find them easy to work on. The unit itself, though pretty large and heavy, does maneuver very easily [for me] without any assists on it. I like that it's basic, I had to make some adjustments on it after the first use and with just the owners manual it was easy to find/do. We'll see how it performs in the long run, but so far so good.
My current thinking is I am going to look for a 5/22 or so to do walkways and the back deck. I picked up a single stage blower attachment for the Bolens walk behind tractor project I'm working on so maybe I'll make the path to the woodpile with that next year... or maybe not.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
You just made me remember an incident from just about a year ago... We'd had an ice storm and the power was out everywhere. I had had my older Generac generator listed for sale and suddenly everyone wanted to buy it. I got a call and the guy said he was on the way over to buy it. I went out and took it out of the garage to start it up so it would be running when he got there. Gave the cord a good pull and it snapped. I scrambled around and took off the battery box storage bin that blocked access to the recoil starter, disassembled the starter, replaced the rope, reassembled everything, and started it up maybe two minutes before the buyer arrived. Spent those two minutes remembering that I had thought about replacing that cord a few years earlier and hadn't.
View attachment 186817
Glad I'm not the only one. I am bad with replacement of starter cords, I don't know why, maybe it's because of having to hold the spring tight while feeding the line. Either way it is one of the most frustrating failures to have on a machine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have nearly the same machine. The thing always seems underpowered but at 5600' and only 141cc's I've come to not expect much. I too racked my brain when doing past repairs on it as it was definitely engineered differently than other machines. Over the years I've learned to leave it be, don't tinker with it. It starts every year on the first, sometimes a second pull.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts