Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly thanks for the add, I looked through this forum beforehand helping me decide to go with an Ariens. I found what looks like a low hrs 2015 Platinum 24. It starts easy and runs great however when I pulled the covers off I noticed 2 things.
1- the drive belt seems to have either cracks or slots in it on the inside. I don’t know if it’s slots but they are strait across and uniform?
2- the bottom cover looking at left side on swing gate I have a spring loose one end is on the gate and I cannot figure we’re the loose end is supposed to attach to. I looked at the service manual but unfortunately it doesn’t show it?
Thank you in advance for any input.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Engineering Auto part

·
Registered
72 Posts
The belt shouldn't have any cracks or splits in it. Maybe you have better luck than me but it would break for me during the heaviest storm of the year. I suggest taking it off, measuring it, and getting a replacement. Not very hard to do. As for the spring, i cant answer that one but im sure the other guys on here can help.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
the drive belt seems to have either cracks or slots in it on the inside. I don’t know if it’s slots but they are strait across and uniform?
That one is in the early stage of failure. I'd pull it off, install a new replacement, and hang that one on the wall for emergency use only.

·
Registered
72 Posts
No problem. FYI. The belt might come off easier if you split the auger end from the body. Just have the handles near something so it doesnt fall back to far too fast. If you have a friend or have somehow managed to grow a 3rd hand it will help. Usually as it's coming apart or going together you will need to move an idler pulley a little to get the belt on fully as the halves move. It's possible by yourself. Just easier with a little help.

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
Ditto on what Tabora said, replace and shelve old one for an emergency spare. Make sure you tag it.

Most springs in the belly area of these units usually serve to keep tension on elements while in operation or pulls away. Usually, you can easily surmise by the spring length, and what purpose under operation any tension it would serve. Many times, it is in a hole in the frame which might even show slight wear mark or even around a notch in the frame, and even seen it attached around a protruded bolt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oneacer thx for that yes I looked forth the obvious no slots in frame there are so e protruding bolts that might be in the sprigs effective range. There are two springs on the same side of the machine attached to the swing gate, the one to the front of machine closer to the chute is attached, then there’s another connected on same part of the gate but that’s the spring laying flat not under tension. They both are on the side that little tab from the swing gate protrudes from the frame on the left side. Also if I’m changing the drive belt what’s your Opinions on replacing the Auger belts while I’m in there? Again thanks for all everyon,s input.

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
@Cow,

I myself would not change a belt if it did not warrant it. With that being said, it's always a good idea to have extra items like that on hand, as if you break one in a storm, it is better to have something like that on hand. Just make sure to label things so you know what they are for.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Welcome to the site.
Did you get a manual with it? Should be one online somewhere to look at.
You should be able to see where the spring hooks up in parts section.

The one belt with the line running across, that is where it is joined together in manufacturing?
The others show wear.

Like said I would replace and keep the old ones as spares.

Is your shed heated somehow? Or do you have a garage that has some kind of heat? Portable heat?
Sucks working on it when it is freezing cold.

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
I don't recognize that spring, kind of hard from the photos to tell where it should be hooked.
Attached service manual may help you out.
I would order a set of new belts and keep the old set for spares.
It is always good to have a spare set of belts, spark plug, shear bolts, friction disc etc.

That is a great machine you picked up. I would go through the annual service procedure (lube internals, axel shafts, auger shafts. oil change, set scraper bar height , ensure tires have equal pressure (12 - 15lbs) etc now, before winter really arrives.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thx all that have chimed in here. Just an update I loaded the machine in the truck and went to the Ariens dealer with the covers off. The tech came out and looked at it and then looked at his service manual it seems to be an extra spring as the ones shown in the service manual are all accounted for. He also stated the machine is basically new and said the drive belt is only just starting to wear. I picked up the spare belt and a set of poly skids. I’ll button it all up this weekend and install the skids. Again I appreciated the help here, now just need a worthy snowfall to use it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts