Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well, first real 2-stage snowblower that is. I have used a small 2 cycle MTD to clear off my deck for years. Did most of my snow removal with a JD tractor and plow.

Last winter I did have some problems getting into the back area to my back garage with my plow due to drifting. Had to cut a couple of passes with the little MTD and swore I didn’t want to do that again cause I am getting too old, so this year I made some changes.

Over the summer I picked up a bigger tractor and plow and also came across a good size snowblower for a nice deal. It is an Aries ST1336 LE and has a 13 HP Tecumseh engine with a 36-inch auger. The machine ran real good but would leak fuel from under the shroud when the thing was tilted back so I got a real good deal cause it was June and the guy didn’t want to mess with it, and I figured it couldn’t be that hard to fix.

One new carb bowl gasket later and no more fuel leak, and it still runs good.

Today I decided to check the belts and it is good I did. Both belts needed attention to say the least, and the finger guides were mis-adjusted to the point of damaging the belts. In fact there was a bunch of fuzz on the inside of the bottom cover when I took it off. I thought at first it might be from mice, but then I noticed the belts were wearing against the mis-adjusted finger guides.

Two new belts and a readjustment of the finger guides and she seems to work great. Was a bit of a challenge changing the belts cause you have to split the machine in half to do it but I took my time and everything worked out well. This is my first time working on a snowblower and I am enjoying the learning experience.

Also had to adjust the drive actuation lever. Machine would go great in all forward speeds. Heck, this thing would drag you down the drive in forward. You can’t stop it. However, in reverse, it was a bit halting and you could stop it if you tried. Took some slop out of the lever and now it will run you over in reverse just fine.

Nice forum here and I look forward to learning about snowblowers.

Here is a photo of my beast….

·
Registered
1 Posts
You Can't go wrong with an Ariens!

I have the 1128 model and it is a real beast. I just had it out this afternoon and fired it up for the first time this year. I'm ready to go now!

That 1336 looks almost brand new!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all,

Over the summer I . . .also came across a good size snowblower for a nice deal. It is an Aries ST1336 LE and has a 13 HP Tecumseh engine with a 36-inch auger.
You should be aware that, at least as of last winter when I was working on my snowthrower's SnowKing engine, Tecumseh was out of business and some parts were scarce, especially carburetors.

I haven't followed up since about February, but it might be something to plan for ahead of time (such as checking out where parts can be obtained before you really need them in a hurry).

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
You should be aware that, at least as of last winter when I was working on my snowthrower's SnowKing engine, Tecumseh was out of business and some parts were scarce, especially carburetors.

I haven't followed up since about February, but it might be something to plan for ahead of time (such as checking out where parts can be obtained before you really need them in a hurry).
SOmeone had told me that there are now aftermarket carbs being made for these engines. Im assuming they are China made, but can they realy be any worse then the OE ones?

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice and the nice welcome. As far as Tecumseh parts go I suppose I will be in the same boat as everyone else and search the web when I need something. Hopefully as this site grows we will see some guys come along with Tecumseh parts sources not yet discovered.

Perhaps in the future if this machine works out I will do what the guy on youtube did and repower with a BIG engine. Now where did I put that 20HP horizontal Kohler? :D

·
Registered
49 Posts

Tecumseh was purchased by CPC in Janesville, WI. My understanding is they bought the remaining inventory and are currently back in production for replacement parts.

VINTAGE PARTS & HOFFCO/COMET Certified Parts Corporation has Your Parts Cart for WetBikes, SurfJets, ATV's, PWC's, Mini-Bikes, Go-Karts, RV's, UTV's and Snowmobiles! OEM, aftermarket, and hard to find parts for

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts