Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have been using the same 1996 MTD 28 inch snowblower for the last 10 years and my father-in-law who gave it to me when I bought my house used it for 14 years before that. Sadly it died on me today. Thing was unstoppable. One pull to start even after sitting for 3 seasons, I could still get parts for it and it went through anything... until it couldn't.
Sad story behind me, I am looking for a 28" snowblower 2 stage. I have narrowed it down to 3 options.
  1. Ariens Deluxe model 921046
  2. Toro Power Max HD 928 OAE
  3. Cub Cadet 28-inch 357 cc Two-Stage Gas Snowblower
Let me start with I live in the snowbelt in Ontario Canada. We get lake effect snow which means we can get dumped on pretty fast and hard. It isn't uncommon to wake up to 18" of snow and have 24" of the nasty hard stuff left by the snow plow at the end of my 40' asphalt driveway.
I have read great things about the Ariens units but most posts are talking about the SHO models and the Toro Power Max HD is also mentioned a lot. The Cub Cadet is there because it has decent amount of power to the engine and well my MTD was a beast so that is why it is there.
I have heard all kinds of nasty things about the Cub Cadet in regards to build quality and the fact that it goes through sheer pins like they are candy, the Toro Power Max HD has good reviews everywhere and the idea of no sheer pins seems like it would be good based off of how much people seem to hate them.
I am at an impasse in my decision making process as all 3 have decent specifications and the Ariens and Toro have really good reviews. Any nudges in a certain direction would be really appreciated.

Premium Member
Welcome. . .

Forget the Cub Cadet. The new Toro Powermax's with the all-metal bucket/chute seem like awesome machines. That would be my favorite.

Registered
Your on the right track. Go kick some tires stand behind the machines operate the controls I like the Quick stick, ACS, and auto steer and hardened gears on the Toro, but Ariens nice machine also. Good luck on what ever you choose....

Registered
what do you mean by your machine died? did the engine blow up? if the machine is still in good shape and you like it you could always replace the engine. what part of Ontario are you from? might be able to find a nice used engine if you look around.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what do you mean by your machine died? did the engine blow up? if the machine is still in good shape and you like it you could always replace the engine. what part of Ontario are you from? might be able to find a nice used engine if you look around.
The arms gave way (which I rigged to somewhat work but is not safe at all), the nail in the coffin was the auger no longer engages. The cable is fine it looks like it's engaging when I have the belt shroud off but just grinds and doesn't spin.

It owes me nothing and it is a little rough for the wife to operate when I am not home so with the last straw breaking the camels back I figured it was time to go new.

I am located in the Grey Bruce County area of Ontario.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your on the right track. Go kick some tires stand behind the machines operate the controls I like the Quick stick, ACS, and auto steer and hardened gears on the Toro, but Ariens nice machine also. Good luck on what ever you choose....
I would love to get hands on but right now we are in lockdown and everything is closed for in-person sales because of COVID so I am flying blind and looking for other's experience/opinion on machines as I won't survive the winter without a new machine (yes I am lazy bit with our snow volume I would have to get up too early for work)

Registered
does the impeller still spin? if the auger gear box is fine it might be something simple to fix. mtd's are very easy to get parts for. i don't know how far you are from orangeville but i got a couple parts machines if you want to try repairing it.

Registered
The cable is fine it looks like it's engaging when I have the belt shroud off but just grinds and doesn't spin.
Put on a new belt with the right tension and it will be fine.Take out your old belt and look underneath it. There you will find that the rubber is worned deeply at one spot...thats what you are hearing when the auger is turning.This happens a lot with cogged belts.

Premium Member
Welcome sphix, I am also in Grey Bruce county.

I would recommend the Ariens or Toro, both are great machines.

If you want to compare apples to apples a fairer comparison is:
Ariens Deluxe 28 vs Toro Power Max HD 828
Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO vs Toro Power Max HD 928

Have you considered a 24" machine like the Deluxe 24 (same engine as the 28") or the Platinum 24 SHO (369 cc)?

I have an Ariens 28 SHO. I think it is one of the best value for the $ on the market. It handles 24" snow falls with no trouble, auto turn works great, and I think Arien's build quality is a little better.

Of the 3 machines you listed, I would choose the Toro 928, but would choose a Deluxe 28 SHO over the Toro 928. But you can't go wrong with the Ariens or Toro machines mentioned. The SHO models are only available through dealers, and I would recommend purchasing which ever machine you choose from a dealer if you can.

As others have suggested I would investigate if there is a simple inexpensive repair for your MTD, at least to get you through the winter. Then as the COVID situation hopefully improves you can go out and get hands on the machines. Also there may be deals on machines offered late this winter/spring, I saved about 15% by purchasing in late February.

Good luck with your search.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts