Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Canadian tire “mastercraft” made by MTD with tecumseh engine HM-80 1155334N
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: the more I learn, the more I get confused. My only,experience is adjustable carbs. Tecumseh. 1980.

the advantage of an adjustable carb is they can be adjusted as the carb gets dirty, as well as adjusting as the new engine breaks in (pulls in less air, effecting fuel mixture).

fast forward to today, all carbs are fixed jet/fixed pilot jet.

I was operating with the assumption if I buy a modern brand new machine with a fixed carb, I simply keep it clean, use clean fuel, and drain at end of season I will likely never have a carb issue.

however some of the videos I’ve watched tell me that even with a clean carb some adjustments could be needed. Jets are on the lean side for epa and any changes in the engine will require resetting, or enlarging the pilot jet.

was hoping to buy a new machine with a carb and have it be trouble free. Now I’m thinking EFI is the way to go. No tinkering with EFI, only replacing parts if/when they break.

I seem to be going in circles staying up till 3 am watching videos, reading, and learning.

then I watch Taryl. “It ain’t no space shuttle, it’s a lawn mower”.

so all you guys with fixed carbs are you happy?

·
Registered
1981 Canadian tire “mastercraft” made by MTD with tecumseh engine HM-80 1155334N
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Watching Taryl at 3 am is a scary thought .... that would keep you up for sure. ..... :)
i really like his Chanel. Donyboy is good, and Steve’s small saloon. Eliminator performance YouTube Chanel shows how to adjust the plastic idle screw on a Honda carb (5-1/2 turns, or so the butterfly half covers the first hole in carb).

Tarly and his family are awesome

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
so all you guys with fixed carbs are you happy?
I have over twenty small engines with fixed jet carbs. I live near sea level and the only one I have ever had to mess with is the 2017 HSS1332AATD GX390 that I changed from a #102 to a #110 main jet. Honda now supplies the #110 as stock. The jet change completely solved the high-speed surging I was experiencing with the #102. As many of us discovered, if adding a bit of choke smooths out high-speed surging, a larger main jet is called for. If there's low-speed surging, the pilot jet needs to be cleaned or enlarged. After the carburetor is dialed in (took me 15 minutes), you're good for the long haul, at least with Honda engines.

If I were moving engines regularly between extremes in altitude (5,000 feet difference or more), EFI or an adjustable main jet would be called for. Otherwise fixed jets are just fine.

Reactions: Tony-chicago

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have over twenty small engines with fixed jet carbs. I live near sea level and the only one I have ever had to mess with is the 2017 HSS1332AATD GX390 that I changed from a #102 to a #110 main jet. Honda now supplies the #110 as stock. The jet change completely solved the high-speed surging I was experiencing with the #102. As many of us discovered, if adding a bit of choke smooths out high-speed surging, a larger main jet is called for. If there's low-speed surging, the pilot jet needs to be cleaned or enlarged. After the carburetor is dialed in (took me 15 minutes), you're good for the long haul, at least with Honda engines.

If I were moving engines regularly between extremes in altitude (5,000 feet difference or more), EFI or an adjustable main jet would be called for. Otherwise fixed jets are just fine.
is there any validity to having to rejet (main, or pilot) as a brand new engine “settles in”? In a video I watched he explained that most jets are “borderline” I.e as lean as they need to be to meet emissions. Piston rings settle in and the engine draws more or less air as it ages, and thus a rejet may be needed. You mentioned a pilot jet enlarging. Why do you think it was needed?

was hoping if I buy a new carb’d machine, and never worry so long as I use good fuel, and drain at the end of season.

thees a few guys here who have zero issues Ever.

the more I learn, the more I talk myself into, and out of Honda, Ariens, carb’s, and EFI, lol.

maybe I should have one of each??

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
is there any validity to having to rejet (main, or pilot) as a brand new engine “settles in”?
Not if it's jetted correctly to begin with. In close to 50 engines life-to-date, I've only replaced one main jet as discussed.
You mentioned a pilot jet enlarging. Why do you think it was needed?
No, it was not needed; as I stated, I only had high-speed surging, so main jet up-size.
was hoping if I buy a new carb’d machine, and never worry so long as I use good fuel, and drain at the end of season.
That's been my experience. Especially with Hondas. That's why I still have these currently:
  1. 2020 GCV190 on Craftsman CMXGWAS020735 pressure washer
  2. 2017 HSS1332AATD snow blower
  3. 2012 GX25 on Mantis 7264-12-02 tiller
  4. 1996 HRM215K3SDA mower
  5. 1990 XL600V Transalp
  6. 1989 NX250 (Canada Model)
  7. 1988 NX250
  8. 1988 NX125
  9. 1987 GX240 from HS80K1TAS snow blower on Super Tomahawk chipper/shredder
  10. 1983 HR214SXA mower (converted to HR214SMA)
  11. 1981 NX50
  12. 1977 CT90

·
Registered
958 Posts
My Son's Compact 24 was 5 years old when I got it and had been used like 5 times by the previous owner. She hated the Airens blower. When I did get is started the thing ran like crap, I soaked that carb even though it was like new 5 times and still ran like crap. I bought a $13 carb off Amazon tossed it on and the Compact 24 was like a whole new monster. Never had any trouble after that. I also use good non-oxy fuel all the time.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I only have fixed carbs on 2 snowblowers. One is a predator 212, and I went up 1 size on both the main and idle jets, very easy to do, and it runs very well now. The other is a newer Ariens 1130 that seems to run fine as is. I haven't used it much yet. Be careful if buying EFI, the present a level of complication that some users are not happy with.

• Helpful
Reactions: pink toe beater

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only have fixed carbs on 2 snowblowers. One is a predator 212, and I went up 1 size on both the main and idle jets, very easy to do, and it runs very well now. The other is a newer Ariens 1130 that seems to run fine as is. I haven't used it much yet. Be careful if buying EFI, the present a level of complication that some users are not happy with.
im very intrigued with EFI. The Ariens system is simple, and I’m confident I can “fix” it. My issues are EFi Can’t be fixed per say Everything is simply swapped out and replaced. Nothing is cleaned and reassembled.

so an EFI machine comes at an 800 cdn premium, and to be confident I’m not stranded waiting for parts I need another 250ish in replacement EFI parts inventoried for standby (much like I have a spare carb, and carb kit).

so,let’s,call that a grand premium for the following benefits (per Ariens web site):
easier starting (not hard to choke a carb engine)
better fuel economy. (Not a significant issue)
easier maintenance (I use trufuel, and will likely not have any fuel related issues)

and even if I pay the grand premium, and NEVER have anything fail, I still have to replace the EFI battery at some point , and I have to keep it charged.

I’ve used a carbed blower, with disk,drive, no fancy chute controls since 1981.

I think I’d entertain EFI if/when it’s the same price as a carb unit, AND the throttle assembly is the same cost as a carb kit. In my opinion the 2 main failure points are the fuel pump and throttle. Fuel pump is about 20 bucks. Very reasonable and in line with a new carb or carb kit.

the throttle assembly is basically a computerized carb so I’d have one on hand

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
im very intrigued with EFI. The Ariens system is simple, and I’m confident I can “fix” it. My issues are EFi Can’t be fixed per say Everything is simply swapped out and replaced. Nothing is cleaned and reassembled.

I think I’d entertain EFI if/when it’s the same price as a carb unit, AND the throttle assembly is the same cost as a carb kit. In my opinion the 2 main failure points are the fuel pump and throttle. Fuel pump is about 20 bucks. Very reasonable and in line with a new carb or carb kit.

the throttle assembly is basically a computerized carb so I’d have one on hand
The Ariens EFI fuel pump is US$140, so a lot more in Canadian dollars.

Reactions: KJSeller

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
the exact same part has been found for $20 to $35 from other sources via LCT, iirc.
This one?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
False! That is only direct fron Ariens. Do a little more searching - the exact same part has been found for $20 to $35 from other sources via LCT, iirc.
I apologise.

·
Registered
Toro 826LE/w Repowered Tecumseh 10.5
296 Posts
I like the adjustable carbs. I tried to clean the carb of the Tecumseh 10.5hp.and the gasket was fubar'd. Just got an adjustable carb odd Amazon and was back in business. More available adjustments if/when you need them.

·
Registered
2022 Ariens Kraken
51 Posts
Ive never wished for any of my small engines beside some of my 2 stroke stuff to have adjustable carbs. Keep them clean and they will be fine, never had one issue in many many small engines Ive owned.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts