Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an older Craftsman 8/20 for cheap in the fall. I knew it needed a motor swap and I Had predator 6.5hp laying around. Swap went fine but after using it today I noticed a clunking noise from the front and a lot of play where the shaft passes through the auger box and connects to the flywheel. Is it an expensi experience fix or would I just need new bearing assembly and swap out?

·
Super Moderator
2,677 Posts
Most likely the impeller bearing. Getting the pulley off may be difficult but doable on most. You want to split the auger off the tractor unit. Soak the heck out of the pulley and pull the set screws. I've rigged a few pulling methods up in the past, big thing is don't bend the pulley.
I press the bearing out of the retainer and press in a new one. Much cheaper and more dependable IMO. I measured the old bearings and used that to buy sealed replacements.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, looking at the unit it doesn't look that bad to take apart, just wondering if the bearing assemblies are $$ or affordable? Would it likely be a common size available at harbor freight etc?

·
Super Moderator
2,677 Posts
A little linkage, a twist here and there and 4 nuts and the auger is off the tractor. Hardest usually is getting the auger pulley off the shaft.
On the bearing, you can send Sears something like $40 for a new assembly. You can also press the bearing out of the mount, buy a new bearing at one of the many places that sell bearings and put it onto your blower for something like $3-$5 the last time I did it. Measure the id on the bearing, the OD along with the thickness and you have all the info needed if you can't read the numbers off the old one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts