Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a couple of years now I have given some thoughts to getting a little single stage blower to go a long with the bigger two stage machine.

I can see sometimes where it would come in handy.

So do we have such Owners around here that own both a big/small blower, in area that gets 4'-5' of snow per year?

Would you do it again?

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
I finally pulled the trigger on a TORO single stage. electric but that way I can carry it around.. and keep it in the house.

·
Registered
94 Posts
We bought a Simplicity SS922EX last year and I can't tell you how happy we are with the purchase. So much so, I almost bought ANOTHER one to become a 3 snowblower family. With all the snow last year, we probably used it about 10 times or so. It was good for all but the largest snowfall we received (10" with 2 foot + drifts). I think I only broke out the Compact 24 once. In reality, I should probably replace the Compact 24, which I purchased before the Simplicity, and get something larger since it tends to struggle with the larger snow totals. I would LOVE a 24 SHO with the accessory tracks but hard to drop that kind of cash to use it only one or two times per year.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
its really nice to have both, a single stage machine and a two stage machine. but its good to know that the single stage machine can get the job done if there is a problem with the two stage machine. last year i unknowingly got some bad gas and after refilling the 521 it stopped so i got the 826 out fill it up and it stopped after 20 minutes. it was slow going but the 2450E got the job done

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
For a couple of years now I have given some thoughts to getting a little single stage blower to go a long with the bigger two stage machine.

I can see sometimes where it would come in handy.

So do we have such Owners around here that own both a big/small blower, in area that gets 4'-5' of snow per year?

Would you do it again?
Have a few of both laying around... But since selling a bunch of them ( one just a couple hours ago) I'm down to a Toro 521 two stage and an Ariens 522 ss. I'll keep these for my personal use this winter. Next winter, who knows? :)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Having a small SS unit, IME, is great for smaller snow falls and cleaning down to bare pavement. We've got a very steep drive and the SS unit leaves the pavement clean so I don't have melting/re-freeze issues over night.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Have a few of both laying around... But since selling a bunch of them ( one just a couple hours ago) I'm down to a Toro 521 two stage and an Ariens 522 ss. I'll keep these for my personal use this winter. Next winter, who knows? :)
Your last 4 words are the truth, I'm already looking forward to next years purchases if I have any issues this winter. Have to figure out where to stash them so the wife doesn't know.:eek:

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Your last 4 words are the truth, I'm already looking forward to next years purchases if I have any issues this winter. Have to figure out where to stash them so the wife doesn't know.:eek:
Lol. My wife doesn't care how many I buy or how much I spend. She knows that I love tinkering with small machinery and since I usually make a few bucks she doesn't mind a'tall.:)
I've sold 4 blowers in the past month. She's happy.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I only need one, I'm pretty confident in my Yamaha YT624 that it will finish the job that I don't need 3 backups. Sorry guys to burst this bubble.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
10 or so years ago I ran both. Larger 2 stage and had a smaller Toro S200. I used that S200 allot as we got quite a few PITA snowfalls (much what we experienced last winter) At one point I borrowed it out to a buddy and it grew legs and walked off under his watch. No big deal I only paid $30 for it and got a couple seasons of use. Plus many many years worth of grief (which reminds me, i'm about do to throw that in his face once again, thanks)

Fast forward to last season, and I made the executive decision to get a single stage. This spring I went to my local dealer and picked up the entry level path pro.

For sh1ts and giggles I tried the new ss tonight for the first time on our 10" wet and heavy snow fall. It did a pretty good job, till I got to EOD. Did not even try it. Pushed the ss in the garage, bought out the 2 stage and finished my drive and did the elderly neighbor lady's yard as well.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
well I don't have multi snowblowers because I need them. every hobby I get into ends up this way, five bicycles, six cameras, five desk top computers and the laptop, seven motorcycles, I'm down to two mustangs. what ever hobby I get into I dive in deep

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
so calm down a little there, sir.
Pardon my ignorance, I'm not familliar with every state average snowfall but pretty sure Pennsylvania doesn't hold any records.

In 1992 starting friday january 1st evening to february 2nd we received 1.85 meters of snow, my YS524 did fine and my wife was at work on time that monday morning. Don't know if your spitter would have done as well with 7 foot snow drifts. I'm sorry if I backbrushed your feathers and I apologize.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
well I don't have multi snowblowers because I need them. every hobby I get into ends up this way, five bicycles, six cameras, five desk top computers and the laptop, seven motorcycles, I'm down to two mustangs. what ever hobby I get into I dive in deep
Having them for a hobby is a totally different horse of a totally different colour. I have over 3000 key FOBs with only 3 cars with RCDLR. I like to know how they work and love to help people out that need them. Heaven forbit if you should go to the dealer for one of these.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
ok guys lets not go there so the mods don't lock the thread or send each of us a pm

·
Registered
604 Posts
I only need one, I'm pretty confident in my Yamaha YT624 that it will finish the job that I don't need 3 backups. Sorry guys to burst this bubble.
My reason for having two snowblowers is about having the right tool for the right job. The HS621 single stage is for the small snows, I can jog while blowing snow under 6 inches, it's simply so much faster than any 2 stage. The HS928 is for the larger snowfalls. In my opinion, it's better to have two snowblowers that do what they are designed for very well instead of having one middling snowblower that doesn't really do any job really well - jack of all trades master of none.
A secondary benefit of having two snowblowers for two different types of jobs is that you do have a back up. A man without a back up, is man without control of his fate. Why not have a back up? I'm crazy confident in my Hondas. Both my snowblowers are over 10 years old (I'm not the original owner of either of them) and they're both original without any repairs. Does that have any bearing on whether I think it's just common sense to have a back up- NO. Having a back up snowblower is cheap insurance. I won't be caught with my pants down... will you?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
William, not sure if you should be "commended" or "committed" for your obsessions. :D

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
My reason for having two snowblowers is about having the right tool for the right job. The HS621 single stage is for the small snows, I can jog while blowing snow under 6 inches, it's simply so much faster than any 2 stage. The HS928 is for the larger snowfalls. In my opinion, it's better to have two snowblowers that do what they are designed for very well instead of having one middling snowblower that doesn't really do any job really well - jack of all trades master of none.
A secondary benefit of having two snowblowers for two different types of jobs is that you do have a back up. A man without a back up, is man without control of his fate. Why not have a back up? I'm crazy confident in my Hondas. Both my snowblowers are over 10 years old (I'm not the original owner of either of them) and they're both original without any repairs. Does that have any bearing on whether I think it's just common sense to have a back up- NO. Having a back up snowblower is cheap insurance. I won't be caught with my pants down... will you?
What he said. ^^^^^

1 - 20 of 33 Posts