Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I have an older Ford ST726 that is my main SB that I use around the house. I bought it a few years back and rebuilt the carb last year, if I remember correctly, when it was experiencing some issues running. Well I went out today to use it and I noticed after going back inside my clothes smelled like exhaust. It is kind of hard to explain but it just smells bad.

The engine itself seems to run fine. Little miss once in a while but nothing crazy. Doesn't smoke or show any other signs of incomplete combustion. It usually misses when its not under a load and just sitting there running.

It chugs right along but will start to bog down in heavy or deep snow.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add that I run premium non-ethanol fuel in the snow blower. It's fresh

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Expect it. Surprised it took you this long to notice it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
With how often I've had to use my blowers this year, I've washed my "snow coat" multiple times to get the exhaust odor out. And this is using 3 different blowers, which all run pretty darn good. They all have fresh carb rebuilds.

They're older though, and I have no frame of reference but I can't help believe as far as "efficient burn" is concerned I'm betting it wouldn't necessarily stink up my coat as much if I had a newer OHV engined machine.

I will say that my snow coat, it's "cloth" - a simple Carhartt outdoor work coat - which I do believe is a lot more odor absorbent. I've worn it at my cabin when I've had the fire pit rolling and I come home and it smells like the weekend's firewood smoke. I've even used it smoking meats at times and walked by it a day later and it smells like the wood I used to cook the ribs and brisket etc.

Whereas I also own my "uber winter coat", which is a fairly high-falutin' Columbia Omni-Tech coat - doesn't seem to absorb odors nearly as much when I use it blowing snow. I used it twice last week, one day blowing out 6 difference driveways...doesn't smell like exhaust at all.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Is that a Gilson mfd. machine? They made really good blowers.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
My machine had an 11 year old Briggs 305cc OHV engine on it, I run it on 91 octane Non Ethanol fuel and the exhaust stinks on it as well. The engine probably has less than 75 hours on it, and it has had that small engine smell to the exhaust ever since it was new.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I honestly don't know?
Looks like my Jacobsen-sourced "Ford". Although I have yet to see a Gilson sourced model for comparison's sake.

I notice slight change in exhaust note and exhaust smell if I start to get into the deep stuff faster than the machine can pick and throw the snow. But I can't say that I ever thought that the exhaust smell from mine was 'bad'. But If I keep the progress speed slow enough that I can't audibly hear the engine struggle to work, mine just purrrrrs. Or roars is maybe a better description.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what i can see in the avatar I agree, it's Jacobsen built.
Thanks. That picture is one I found online but mine is identical. Its a cool old snow blower. I bought it for 150$ on craigslist a few years back.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks. That picture is one I found online but mine is identical. Its a cool old snow blower. I bought it for 150$ on craigslist a few years back.
I have the same one. Agree it is a neat old piece of equipment. My father bought it new in '75, it had sat on the Ford dealer's floor a couple seasons before they cut him a deal. It went to my Uncle for a while, and then was passed down to me. I see a lot of 626 but pretty rare to come across 726's.

Reactions: TOTHEMAX
1 - 12 of 12 Posts