Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a question. My old ford has the tecumseh 7hp motor on it and when snowblowing in low gear it will bog down in heavy snow. The snow was crusted over and probably a foot high or less. I am not sure if its just the nature of the beast, or if something is off. I have had the carb apart and it's clean. It runs like a raped ape when not under heavy load.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
May be the carb is not adjusted right , the rod from the governor is in wrong hole or the engine is plain tired from age

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing has been touched gov wise. The main jet in the carb is adjusted correctly as it runs great and does not pop.

I have never done a compression test.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another thing. After running this blower you smell like exhaust. Like really bad. Fuel is fresh 91 octane non ethanol.

I plan on taking the carb apart again as it's been a year or so since I cleaned it. When I bought it I tore it down and cleaned it up. I replaced a few gaskets if I recall but overall it was in good shape.

·
Registered
43 Posts
great to see another Ford out there!!

It does sound like something isn't quite right with yours. I don't think it should bog that much on less than 12" of snow, crusty or not. I can't say on the exhaust smell, I guess I've never really paid it much attention, usually just happy to be able to get the machine out and throw some snow.

I replaced my impeller belt a couple years ago, and added a DIY impeller kit, and have noticed improved throw. I probably have some sort of carb issue developing, as I have to let it run with part choke for quite a while before I can throw at no-choke setting. But with the infrequency that I've had opportunity to run the Ford these past couple seasons, I just deal with it for now.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts