Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most 10,000 & 924,000 that pop up for sale around here are 300-500 dollars, but one appeared a couple days ago for a reasonable price.

Perhaps it's cheaper than most due to a bent auger, at least it looks odd to me.
Please confirm...

Also, it does not have the usual 10,000 series bucket with the 3 racing stripes.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I can't see the bend in the auger, but if it is, it will show up pretty quick when you engage the auger. Oh, now I see it. I was thinking the auger shaft ! You can run it with that bend in it, or do like I did with one of mine. I snugged down a pipe wrench til it had about a 1/8" opening to grab the auger blade, and then eyeballed it by bending it back to straight. Not very difficult.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess a worry I would have is that whatever bent it in the first place, perhaps damaged other things that are not so easy to see.

Perhaps something heavy fell on the bucket and also bent the auger, then the owner replaced the bucket with something suitable and left the auger alone.

The only other 10,000 series available around these parts presently is priced at $500 and I'm not paying that much for a 50yo blower.

·
Registered
154 Posts
That's a very common bend; the auger encountered an immovable object while operating and bounced off it. I wouldn't worry about bending it straight-ish and carrying on.
When you see how easy they are to bend you'll be less concerned about how it got there.
I usually use two large crescent wrenches engaging the auger flighting radially and torqued in opposite directions as needed to correct.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
That thing looks like it is built very well like a Sherman Tank. I noticed the LT side bent auger rake and some good suggestions to straighten it. Seems to be a heavy gauge steel on that unit and I like the full width auger shaft, you would have to buy the Ariens Pro series today to get that. Congrats and best of luck with it!

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
i measure the distance between good rakes and then place a big locking pliers onto the blade and bend it back to a proper distance. it will help the balance.

sometimes the auger gearbox arm on that side may have been slightly bent also. usually not but sometimes so i would watch that in operation.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
At the RPMs of the auger rakes, balance should not come into play. Unless it is rubbing, or way of of wack, the repair would, for the most part, be cosmetic.
ok, thanks. maybe i was thinking if the auger gearbox arm was slightly tweaked that would make it unbalanced. have seen that before.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've straightened bent rakes on mine before. Don't pop a weld. Pipe wrench will to the trick. Extra hands and counter supports might be necessary.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts