Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not much info on this from the seller except that it's an older unit with electric start, a new traction wheel and the traction linkage needs adjusting before using, says the engine runs, located not too far away and an acceptable price, I'm wondering if this is a decent machine to look into and if anyone has any tips as to what to look for I would appreciate it. thanks in advance !

·
Registered
818 Posts
well 8 hp is a good amount for a 24" auger, so power should be good. If it is an early 80's machine, then it is very heavy and well built. Also, if it has the early safety interlock system, and has issues, parts can be hard to get. Though you can usually rig something to work.

As for whether this machine is good, it is all dependent upon condition. Look for the usual items, belts, skids, tires, etc. On the engine, make sure it has good compression. Can you get pictures of it?

tx

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only the one picture from the ad, looks better than some I've seen but I'll get a better idea when I check it out tomorro.
Toro4b.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's model number 38080. serial number 0008190. I read somewhere it could be a 1990-1993 vintage but not really sure.

Toro4c.jpg

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
do you have a paved driveway? usually those got a spring loaded scraper which is nice on paved driveways but likely not so good on something like a gravel driveway.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do you have a paved driveway? usually those got a spring loaded scraper which is nice on paved driveways but likely not so good on something like a gravel driveway.
Not paved but very compacted with not a lot of loose gravel, I used my neighbors old Craftsman 10/26 last winter it worked really well, not sure if it has a spring loaded scraper but I'm thinking if mine does I can modify it so it's not dragging.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
i am pretty sure the spring loaded scraper bar is a toro only thing. i don't think i have ever seen it on any other machines. may have to adjust the skids to lift the bucket since you really don't want it scooping/throwing gravel if you can avoid it

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i am pretty sure the spring loaded scraper bar is a toro only thing. i don't think i have ever seen it on any other machines. may have to adjust the skids to lift the bucket since you really don't want it scooping/throwing gravel if you can avoid it
That's a great idea and I agree, I rake enough gravel off the grass every spring just from shoveling snow I don't need a machine making more work for me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
818 Posts
the picture looks good, I don't see wear on the sides of the auger housing, or the auger itself. No visible rust. Check the usual things for used machines: engine compression, belt wear, general maintenance, etc. One negative is the OEM tires are not very good, the chains will help but can be bouncy. You may want to upgrade.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I filled the tank up on the way home thinking I might get it running, the owner said it ran when he put it away a few years ago, but no luck. still I'm very impressed with the overall condition despite it being slightly molested by previous owners who didn't have a clue.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did a compression check, pull rope is showing 72 lbs and the magic button shows 93 lbs, this is dry and I forgot to open the throttle so it might have a little more.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I noticed the primer bulb was very quiet when depressed almost as though it was unhooked, I checked for fuel and the petcock was clogged up tight with crud. so this puts a pause on things until the fuel system is all squeaky clean, at this point I'm also not sure if I have spark.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Congrats and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
818 Posts
looks to be in great shape, and good compression to start, but yeah, you should have gone thru fuel system before filling up. Replace the fuel lines and look at carb bowl. You may have to clean/rebuild the carb if that gunk got in there.

tx

1 - 20 of 45 Posts