Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
looks to be in great shape, and good compression to start, but yeah, you should have gone thru fuel system before filling up. Replace the fuel lines and look at carb bowl. You may have to clean/rebuild the carb if that gunk got in there.

tx
I noticed some sandy looking stuff in the carb bowl I'll go through the whole thing with a fine tooth comb.

·
Registered
818 Posts
yep, I never figured out what that "sandy" stuff was in the bottom of old carbs. But that carb looks very good for its age, it should clean up well.

tx

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I noticed some sandy looking stuff in the carb bowl I'll go through the whole thing with a fine tooth comb.
View attachment 167366
Fantastic find, looks to be in great condition, hardly ever see those chrome handles in rust free condition.

Looks like rust scale from the gas tank, although this tank looks like it could be plastic. I have also found this type of material in my plastic gas cans I store my fuel in. Maybe it comes from the gas station tanks? I would give the tank a thorough flush.

Please keep updating us with your progress with lots of photos. Love these resurrection threads.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Ziggy: I have seen that "sand" in carbs that used plastic gas tanks and plastic gas cans, almost 1/2 teaspoon once. I never could find out what it was, something coming out of the gas? or just dirt particles accumulating over time? And it was non-magnetic.

tx

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Fantastic find, looks to be in great condition, hardly ever see those chrome handles in rust free condition.

Looks like rust scale from the gas tank, although this tank looks like it could be plastic. I have also found this type of material in my plastic gas cans I store my fuel in. Maybe it comes from the gas station tanks? I would give the tank a thorough flush.

Please keep updating us with your progress with lots of photos. Love these resurrection threads.
Thanks Ziggy65, I've seen a few old Toro's completely covered in rust makes me wonder if they live close to the ocean. this is the first time I've ever come across the sandy stuff, it does look like rust scale from old gas station tanks, I dumped the gas back into the gas can and will screen it, also time for an inline fuel filter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I've heard the horror stories of trying to remove the wheels from some of these old snow blowers, but can't recall which brands they were, luckily mine slide right off by hand, lubed up the shafts with never seize and discovered this really handy 2nd hole on both axles that allows the wheels to freewheel, makes manoeuvring the thing around the shop a lot easier !

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Pulled the bottom plate off and was happy to find everything rust free and a chain with lots of lube on it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
When I looked at this snow blower the previous owner mentioned the friction wheel was replaced but the machine runs slowly and needs further adjustment, so I set the machine on it's nose placed it in 3rd gear and turned the wheel. in the video you can see what's happening, I still need to look into this more closely I'm hoping it's just a matter of properly adjusting everything.

·
Registered
818 Posts
lookin good. Let me know if you need any parts, I have some from a similar machine that I tore down recently.

tx

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
lookin good. Let me know if you need any parts, I have some from a similar machine that I tore down recently.

tx
Thanks for the offer I'll keep it in mind. I'm already thinking parts machine but haven't seen anything local.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
i know this isn't quite the same and looks a bit rough but did see this pop up for sale today, not sure how far from you it would be but it is another toro machine and the price isn't too bad if it functions as it should.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
i know this isn't quite the same and looks a bit rough but did see this pop up for sale today, not sure how far from you it would be but it is another toro machine and the price isn't too bad if it functions as it should.
Thanks for that crazzywolfie I appreciate it, I'm in the Okanagan of B.C. only 4000 miles away lol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Took some careful persuasion removing one of the muffler bolts that was galling the aluminum threads in the head, turned it back and forth probably a dozen times with lots of penetrating fluid before it finally came out, chasing the threads with a 5/16 - 18NC tap and die worked great it went back together nice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Also cleaned the carb, topped up the oil, cleaned the fuel tank and replaced all the fuel lines, checked the point gap, threw it back together and added some fresh fuel, it was a bit late but I couldn't resist seeing if it would start up so I pulled the rope just long enough to hear it fire (y) which is great since I wasn't sure if it had spark earlier, we'll see what happens tomorro :p

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Got the old beast running but not wanting to idle so well, time for a new carb, I'm thinking an Oregon adjustable might be the ticket.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts