Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was excited to see an ST824 for sale a few days ago. It didnt start, but from the sellers description it probably just needs a little TLC as it has sat in a garage for many years without running. I spent $100 on it, so I thought with all the good reviews online this would be a good purchase. I got home and realized the engine was only 5HP, and there was no differential lock on the tires. I looked up the model number and it says I have an ST524. So I don't get it? Did I get ripped off? Is this still worth fixing up?
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Red Charcoal Bumper

Motor vehicle Wood Automotive lighting Door Brick

Thanks for any information! In hind sight I should have noticed the 5HP pretty quick, but... I didnt.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
The engine was replaced. It originally came with a 8hp. A 24" is a little wide for a 5hp especially in deep or wet snow. You may want to put a 212cc Chinese OHV engine on it.

·
Premium Member
1979 (or so) Toro 724 (38050) and 2018 Ariens Platinum 24
1,496 Posts
He said the model number came back as the 524, so it would seem more likely that someone put 824 handlebar parts on it to me . . . .

At any rate, the 5 will work if you aren't one of those folks who basically screams "ramming speed!!!" every time they get it out!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I do believe I bought a ST524 with a handlebar from an 824. Do you think I paid too much for it at $100? I guess it's too late now :)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Hey, we all start somewhere. Did you overpay? Probably.. BUT, if you can get it running, the 924 series is a robust machine that will last a long time. Let's say you get it running after a $15 Amazon carburetor and a new fuel line.

You could break even or make a small profit if it's 100% operational by winter.

It's also a great candidate to be re-powered by a modern OHV engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts