Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NYC is only a 4 hour trip (one way....). Perhaps come up with some reason why you need to head to Boston. Perhaps a different New Years eve experience?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
To my understanding, yes, that is how that series had them, as I have seen it many photos of others.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agree with oneacer.

Just posted the whole machine on CL for $25. No charge for Forum Members! Still sitting in my garage.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Forum member Jack Mels (in Hudson) gave me an identical Ariens Sno-Thro machine last month. I installed a new belt, cleaned its carburetor and eliminated a fuel tank leak. It also needed a thorough lubrication and engine/gearbox oil change.

After it was returned to service, I gave it to my mother's next door neighbor in Braintree, Mass.

Do you know if its engine ignition has spark or not?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has weak spark. I've adjusted and cleaned the points, yet just can't get it to run. That could be the issue.

Likewise, about a month ago, I fixed one up for a smaller woman who needed something that she could move around. Put an electric starter on it and it runs well for her needs, and evidently worked well for the snow we had a few weeks ago. Hope this old metal does not end up ion the scrap pile!

·
Registered
140 Posts
You did well to remove the flywheel. I tried doing the same on the 922 machine Jack gave me because the machine's 5 HP Tecumseh engine had a weak spark and was difficult to start when hot. The flywheel just wouldn't come off. I don't have a puller and had resorted to prying the flywheel outward with a big screwdriver while simultaneously striking the loosened flywheel nut with a hammer. The flywheel never did come off. I adjusted the carburetor as well as I could and its engine would start when hot but only if it was turned over really fast. That's why I believe it had low compression.

I wonder if the engine has low compression caused by insufficient exhaust valve clearance? A compression test when cold compared to the compression when hot (assuming it can be started) might reveal this.

I hate to see one of these gems discarded :sad2: I wonder if one of those Predator engines would fit on it? An impeller kit and a repower job would make a killer machine but it would still be light and compact for easy storage.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't forget this is a dual shaft engine -- so a predator would have to be altered. I used a Harbor Freight puller for the flywheel, and while I had the carb off, I also pulled the head and lapped the valves. I did not check compression.

When I originally got this machine, I pulled the carb and it was very rusty inside and had a bunch of white powder in the bowl. Rather than do anything with that carb, I put on one of my older carbs I had recently rebuilt.

So, I've put some time into it, yet am not crying tears if it goes to a good home!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Wow! You've put a lot of work into this machine. I forgot about the two PTO shafts on its engine. One of the forum members wants this machine and I'm happy it won't be scrapped.

Don't forget this is a dual shaft engine -- so a predator would have to be altered. I used a Harbor Freight puller for the flywheel, and while I had the carb off, I also pulled the head and lapped the valves. I did not check compression.

When I originally got this machine, I pulled the carb and it was very rusty inside and had a bunch of white powder in the bowl. Rather than do anything with that carb, I put on one of my older carbs I had recently rebuilt.

So, I've put some time into it, yet am not crying tears if it goes to a good home!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Apologizing for semi hijacking...

I wish I could find locally (eastern Iowa) an HS50 for these 22k series in good shape. I got two 922002's with tired 4HP engines that are otherwise in excellent original shape.

If I knew what the crank and reverse shaft lengths and diameters are, there are a few engines on Ebay that might work, but I can't seem to find that info anywhere on the internet what these Ariens HS40's and HS50's have.

Then it'd be a matter of pulling the pulleys off the HS40's and transferring them over, mount the replacement engine...voila. There's an HS50-67009C that looks like it came off an Ariens (the original 5HP was an HS50-67008 I believe)...but I'd like to be certain before I jump.

I've thought about tearing into the HS40's, but I have never removed a flywheel etc or lapped valves on a small engine before. They both currently run and are usable, but it's obvious they need some engine work (to me anyway) and I'm not sure I want to drop money into them (or possibly destroy them as a learning exercise) when there may be a viable replacement engine out there.

My Frankenstein 922008 has a replacement HSSK50-67283N on it. That also would obviously work. Tecumseh made replacement engines for these machines at some point, but I get the feeling they're effectively unicorns.

I obviously like these smaller machines. With 4HP they're under-powered imho, but with 5HP and for my location's needs, they're perfect...plenty of grunt for up to 8".

Reactions: gsnod

·
Registered
669 Posts
What makes you think the 4hps are worn out?
One bogs down fairly easily under load to the point of stalling out at times - the governor seems to be non-functioning. Rebuilt the carb, yet it's been difficult dialing in the throttle linkage/governor settings to get the max rpm's to stay around 3600 nor to handle any appreciable loads. The PO when I acquired it, someone had monkeyed with the governor to where if you pulled full throttle it would top out at about 5K...which I am surprised didn't grenade the engine. I suspect that's the only rpm he could get it to throw snow efficiently yet not die.

The other one runs a lot better, but I have had the same issue dialing in rpm's to about 3600 steadily. It's better running across the board and is a much better "useful" blower currently. I have rebuilt its carb also which got it up and running, but other than playing with the gov/throttle cable settings to somewhat dial it in better, I haven't been able to really use it much at all for it was a late winter get last March. I feel a lot better about this one overall though...just cannot prove it yet.

The problem currently with both is lack of snow to test latest adjustments - I've only gotten to use the good one once and for the most part it was a good blower but not as good as my 5HP version of the line. The bad one, that one is usable too but really only for light snows.

My bet is since they are 48 year old engines that have all original internals/parts and at the very least need someone more experienced than I to go through them to diagnose/adjust. Given they're 4HP, I'm betting they got ran hard their entire lives and are simply "tired" from use.

I've studied Tecumseh manuals, researched videos/internet things galore. I'm pretty good at carb rebuilding too. Been doing carbs for boat motor dual and tri carb engines, Weber auto tri-carb setups, lawn mower carbs etc for a long time. These two engines...they "test my limited diagnosis capabilities" and I can't figure out what the deal with them is.

They might wind up being the machines I teach myself how to tear down and rebuild (always wanted to learn how to do it), but not until spring at the earliest, yet I'd like to find a good replacement 5 hp engine as backup just in case.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If the governor is properly functioning then the throttle is barely cracked open when there's no load on engine. The governor should pull the throttle full-open if engine is loaded and RPMs drop below the governed speed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts