Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy builds a shed for FREE using only old pallets.
In his last video he says he priced out his materials from Home Depot and a similar shed would have cost $800 just in material.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Good stuff!!! I might use this idea for an extension on my own shed. I brought home an old 8' butcher's block table from work and I use it as a work bench. Needless to say the shed is getting a bit crowded.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
This is really good stuff. I like seeing people thinking "outside the box". He did a nice job. I've seen people put living space additionson their house that wasn't built this well. I've always been a huge fan of recycle, re-use, re-purpose.
Only thing I was a little surprised... I cringed each time he cut those wedges. I could just imagine the chisel hitting the concrete. :eek:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Saw that on my youtube sidebar the other day. quite impressive. I would use a different stain or paint but the basic design is very cool and it turned out very nice for something that is usually thrown away.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Amazing! He is definitely an school craftsman. I wonder how many hours he has into it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I decided to borrow this idea for my summer project. I built a 9x8 extension on my existing shed, it's 75% pallet, 25% other peoples scrap. I've spent a total of $25 for nails. Pictures coming soon!!!

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decided to borrow this idea for my summer project. I built a 9x8 extension on my existing shed, it's 75% pallet, 25% other peoples scrap. I've spent a total of $25 for nails. Pictures coming soon!!!
How did that project go for you? Ever get around to the pictures?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Scrap pallets are kind of a misnomer. Our company has had people come to the back side of the building and grab pallets they thought were "scrap" and just pick them up and take them. A scrap pallet is rotted out so if the wood is good enough to build a shed it is built from stolen pallets. ;) It is no different than going to Home Depot and grabbing the wood without paying.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Too cool for words.. +1 on him being a craftsman. I liked the fact that the shed is put together as components. Thinking the floor joists are not pressure treated, and will be the first thing to go. Replacing them looks like it would not be too terrible.

His yard cracked me up- he is more of a pack rat than I am.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Scrap pallets are kind of a misnomer. Our company has had people come to the back side of the building and grab pallets they thought were "scrap" and just pick them up and take them. A scrap pallet is rotted out so if the wood is good enough to build a shed it is built from stolen pallets. ;) It is no different than going to Home Depot and grabbing the wood without paying.
I'm not doubting that you have people stealing them from you, but I see stacks of them with "FREE" signs on them so I have no problem believing he got the pallets for nothing. Now those 12-foot 2x4's...

...who knows, maybe he is hooked up with a shipping company that uncrates stuff all the time and just wants the materials to be gone. If so he has a pretty sweet deal.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see it all the time here. Free pallets on craigslist as well as people tearing down garages, decks, patios and barns and they just want the material gone. I got some 8-12 foot 2x10s from an old garage someone was tearing down.

I have worked a couple warehouse jobs and we always had more pallets coming in than going out.

·
Registered
279 Posts
How did that project go for you? Ever get around to the pictures?

I was only able to put a coat of white primer on it before I ran out of time in the fall. The extension has held up very well through the multiple storms we've had here in southeast MA. I sourced my wood from a tile and granite dealer locally that had placed an ad on CL for free pallets & skids, the "pallet" I used was actually the bottom skid of the shipping crates that the tiles were delivered in. I then broke down the sides and used the longer pieces for the trim sections. The prodject took 6 days over the course of the summer with 2 full days spent making sure the floor was level and square with the existing shed. I used 6 skids to make the floor and it was a slow process but after that the rest went up quickly.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hardwood (vs softwood) pallets

Feeling inspired by this.. I have a small area that I want to enclose with a shed. Maybe 4'x4' by 5'tall. Does not have to be free, but I like the pallets for lumber idea.

Was surprised about his pallets being made of hardwood, so I have been doing some googling. Apparently various woods are used. Lighter loads can use softwoods, but heavier loads can require hardwoods. Of the hardwoods, red oak is fairly common.

My question- what % of pallets are hardwood? Will that be a real challenge to find? When people post for free pallets, I am anticipating that if I ask them if they are hardwood or softwood, they will either tell me they don't know, or tell me whatever they think will get me to come out (and take them).

If I have to do a lot of driving to scrounge them, it would be ironic if it ended up costing more to build with 'free' materials. Also, the staining was beautiful, but if I build this close to the kitchen, would it stink of oil/diesel if I used his method? (Telling SWMBO that it will 'probably' dissipate in a few months would likely draw the 'look', or if it was bad, possibly even the 'glare'..)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts