Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cub cadet 3x 26 inch from 2014.

When the machine is not running I can freely spin the front impeller which in turn will turn the entire auger system.

I have checked for broken springs and anything mechanical that may have locked up. All seems well.

I have replaced the auger belt couple years ago. In retrospect I remember I bought the one that closely resembled my machine

There are no broken sheer pins.

Does anyone have any ideas.

Just trying to get ready for winter BEFORE winter, for once

I appreciate any feedback

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
When the machine is not running I can freely spin the front impeller which in turn will turn the entire auger system.
So, what's the problem? Does everything spin OK when the engine is running? If so, maybe just the brake (#4) or spring (#35) for the auger pulley? Or else a broken belt?
White Organ Product Organism Font

Reactions: Tony-chicago

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
yep, the only thing holding back free-spinning when the auger clutch is not engaged is the auger pulley brake, and quite often those are worn or not adjusted properly. You want the brake to stop the auger pulley when the clutch is off. The user manual should explain setup.

thanks

Reactions: Tony-chicago

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Sounds normal? on a 3x Cub Cadet, spinning the middle front would also turn the L and R auger ribbons ... ?

What exactly is not operating properly?

As mentioned, most newer machines have some type of a brake that prevents the auger assembly from spinning when the auger lever/handle is engaged

·
Registered
407 Posts
When you replaced the auger belts prior did you reattach the auger brake spring?
I've seen people bend the brake tab (rt arrow) away to remove the belt, not knowing the arm pivots.
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Yellow

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds normal? on a 3x Cub Cadet, spinning the middle front would also turn the L and R auger ribbons ... ?

What exactly is not operating properly?

As mentioned, most newer machines have some type of a brake that prevents the auger assembly from spinning when the auger lever/handle is engaged
What I'm trying to explain is when the machine is not running I can walk up to it and spin the impeller and everything will rotate freely.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
and the brake will prevent that. If the brake is not functional. then what you are describing is normal

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Paul just described it ...... When the machine is not running, and if the auger lever/handle is not depressed (thus no belt pressure on the auger assembly), then it is normal for the auger and impeller to rotate ... The only way to prevent that would be a properly working brake assembly, or to keep the auger engage handle engaged, thus putting pressure on the auger belt, thus not being able to turn, which I don't recommend doing that, as it will be undue stress on the spring and belt.

Curious, why is this issue causing you concern while it is sitting there, not running.

I would have concern if when running, it did not stop when disengaged more so, as that is the reason for the safety brake. .... Truth be told, I have units that were made before all these safety features, and they will run on there own ... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts