Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
That's a good'un... The HR215SXA Masters Commercial Grade replaced my HR214SXA in the late 1980s / early 1990s. The SXA had a three-speed transmission; the HXA was the first hydro, I believe.

Here's the manual.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
That looks like a great machine.
Looks to be much better built than the Hondas made today.
Even the wheels look beefier.
It will be interesting what/if any issues you find.

·
Premium GOT Member
9,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks like a great machine.
Looks to be much better built than the Hondas made today.
Even the wheels look beefier.
It will be interesting what/if any issues you find.
After draining old gas and checking oil it started on 3rd pull and runs great. no smoke.
all 3 speeds works.

issue found. when trying to engage blade it starts to stall

Maybe the manual that @tabora provided I will figure it out.

thanks.

Reactions: Ziggy65

·
Premium Member
1979 (or so) Toro 724 (38050) and 2018 Ariens Platinum 24
1,464 Posts
After draining old gas and checking oil it started on 3rd pull and runs great. no smoke.
all 3 speeds works.

issue found. when trying to engage blade it starts to stall

Maybe the manual that @tabora provided I will figure it out.

thanks.
I've had an HR215 bought new, and if you slam the blade clutch in, they will always try to stall. Treat it like a manual transmission . . . in until it starts to grab, a brief pause, and take it home. Well oved 2000 hours on mine, and lining is still close to new, so no, this is not bad for the clutch (well, unless you ride it forever . . .) and it what I was taught by the dealer at purchase. The clutch really only needs work if it slips or the blade freewheels when disengaged . . .

This is also the same GXV140 that I have discussed that after about 2000 hours measured in spec in the cylinder, and only eeded a light hone, rings, and oil seals to be back to 100%!

Tranny is quite simple . . . if bored, could change the fluid . . .

One of the best Honda ever made!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I picked up a curbside HRR216 couple of years ago that had a bad blade clutch. I was able to buy just the bearing for $12 and salvage the clutch assembly by pounding out the old bearing and tapping the new bearing into place. Use the suggestion above to gently engage the clutch, and see if the bearing's any good. If it's bad, it will howl like crazy until you disengage the clutch.

·
Premium GOT Member
9,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I picked up a curbside HRR216 couple of years ago that had a bad blade clutch. I was able to buy just the bearing for $12 and salvage the clutch assembly by pounding out the old bearing and tapping the new bearing into place. Use the suggestion above to gently engage the clutch, and see if the bearing's any good. If it's bad, it will howl like crazy until you disengage the clutch.
I'll let you know. Even trying to engage blades easily the engine bogs and stalls so perhaps the bearing is seized.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I'll let you know. Even trying to engage blades easily the engine bogs and stalls so perhaps the bearing is seized.
Make sure the governor is working correctly. Easing the blade engagement helps the governor to catch up to the load applied to the engine.

Reactions: orangputeh

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well. it's a Honda. we'll see. View attachment 194775

FREE? LOVE IT!!!

should be a easy fix.

I had 1 honda mower....I didnt care for the height of handlebars...kinda low...engine was great....cut quality....good, but I am a Toro guy. I would def that a shot and see if the cut quality is good.
They one I had left a trail by the one wheel when mulching. toros dont do that, at least mine.

Good Luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts