Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this Freebie Toro From the Original Owner's Son, Hadn't Run in Years. After the Brass Jet Snapped, I replace the Carb with a "$12 Special"(Not Available to the EFI Crowd), and got the Engine Singing. Had a Bad Impeller Bearing, and the Shift Linkage Needed some Work. Now "Ready For Action".

Attachments

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
:) …. I am like you, all mine were free …. but now at 7, I think I better start selling some, or wait, I suppose I could put an addition on my shop down back …. hmmmmmm ... :) …..

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not All Mine Are/were Free, although I do Get My Share of Freebies.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Dang! Hard to beat that price jack!

I’ve got that same machine. Super aggressive; when I want to clear the driveway in under 10 mins before work, this is what I reach for. My only complaint is that it doesn’t have a creeper / granny speed.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I was always curious on those drum type augers, as all mine are the regular, open, full bucket, spiral rake type.

I never used one of the drum type, but would think the open, full bucket, open, spiral rake design would chomp through a good snow amount with better performance. ???

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I was always curious on those drum type augers, as all mine are the regular, open, full bucket, spiral rake type.

I never used one of the drum type, but would think the open, full bucket spiral rake design would chomp through a good snow amount with better performance. ???
I’d say the drum design is pretty darn effective :wink2:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I've always wondered what's the drum design's purpose? :icon_scratch: I never saw any other make other than Toro which has them...

Claude.
I believe its purpose is to meter / control the amount of snow being fed to the impeller to minimize clogs.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
So do those drums have shear bolts/pins also? or do they use some other safety mechanism ..?
It's your typical axle/rake setup interconnected using a bolt however Toro claims that a shear bolt isn't needed since the auger gears are hardened...the engine will stall before the gearbox fails.

I personally use shear bolts in mine; they're not hard to change. I had to grind off all of the auger housing welds on mine & reweld due to ~1/4" of twist...i assume from impeller ingesting something.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a 726 with the drum. Am not sure what the real point is, but the machine does a good job of throwing snow. Controls kinda suck, though.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have a 726 with the drum. Am not sure what the real point is, but the machine does a good job of throwing snow. Controls kinda suck, though.
I have a 524, sorry to hear you don't like the controls. The safeties are disconnected on mine and I think they couldn't be any easier. Ram the throttle wide open on the dashboard, ram the auger lever down, and pick a gear! I love the old girl!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
That 824 Toro toro is the Shizznit!!! What a beast...Great Vid.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My take on the controls:

Wheel clutches are useful but sometimes hard to reengage. I'm getting ready to try out an old Ariens with a differential.

Chute rotation is slow and requires leaning over.

deflector doesn't stay in position very well.

No safety features--machine can run away. No brake on auger drive.

Control panel faces forward--away from operator.

So I think the basic blowing is very good but newer machines have much better, safer, more convenient controls.

In addition to the Ariens I'm getting an old Simplicity ready to go. Looking forward to comparing them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have an old Toro 826 (has wheel clutches) with a drum auger affixed to shaft with steel bolts. I immediately replaced the steel bolts with aluminum shear bolts. The bolts are not as accessible as Ariens shear bolts.

The drum must have been expensive to produce and looks pretty heavy.

How can a drum be re-purposed on a scrapped Toro snowblower?

·
Registered
195 Posts
My take on the controls:

Wheel clutches are useful but sometimes hard to reengage. I'm getting ready to try out an old Ariens with a differential.

Chute rotation is slow and requires leaning over.

deflector doesn't stay in position very well.

No safety features--machine can run away. No brake on auger drive.

Control panel faces forward--away from operator.

So I think the basic blowing is very good but newer machines have much better, safer, more convenient controls.

In addition to the Ariens I'm getting an old Simplicity ready to go. Looking forward to comparing them.

I disagree with some of your statements about jackmels Toro 824.

1. There are no individual drive wheel clutches on the machine, the only drive clutch is the friction wheel clutch. The machine has a solid axle.
2. The deflector stays in position if the nuts and bolts are tightened sufficiently.
3. The machine does have safety features. The machine is designed so that the engine will stop immediately if the lever below the right handlebar is not held up when the machine is in forward, reverse, or the auger is engaged.
4. There is a brake on the auger pulley.
5. The control panel faces up and access to the controls is very convenient.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I'd like to try a new Toro Snowmaster 824 vs that old 824. To see which one gets me back inside watching reruns of Highway Patrol faster.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts