Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have one of these one piece friction disk off a craftsman that the rubber came off the metal disk, I guess the only fix is a new friction disk?
Has anyone tried anything to attach these back on?

·
Registered
346 Posts
"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time" -words my old man told me growing up, and still to this day.
I'd say it applies quite well to your situation...buy new and [hopefully] don't worry about it for some time to come

·
Registered
191 Posts
Avoid the inevitable failure and frustrations a repaired disc will bring.
Buy a new one and avoid the grief a DIY repair will ultimately bring.
This is one of the main components in your drive line.

Trying to repair it would be like attempting to use a small diameter tree trunk to replace a driveshaft in a pickup truck.....it may work for short period, but soon you'll be right back under that truck installing what you should have installed to begin with......a real driveshaft.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The general consensus is that perhaps the pressure pushing the rubber disc against the metal disc, might be too great. If the disc fails again, look into reducing the pressure.
Sid

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Here's a silly question - would an Ariens disc fit a Craftsman? Are they all prettty much the same design? I guess I have never paid any thought/attention to that.... I would be surprised if they are.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
:welcome: to the forum Boraz

"Here's a silly question - would an Ariens disc fit a Craftsman? Are they all prettty much the same design? I guess I have never paid any thought/attention to that.... I would be surprised if they are. "

There are a number of different designs, diameters, with a bearing, just the rubber but there a quite a few that "share" because they have the same parents. If it's an MTD, Troy (MTD), Craftsman (MTD) ... they will likely share as would Ariens with Sno Tec.
I'm saying you need to look.

This shows some of the crossovers: MTD Friction Disc - Jacks Small Engines

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Trying to repair it would be like attempting to use a small diameter tree trunk to replace a driveshaft in a pickup truck.....it may work for short period, but soon you'll be right back under that truck installing what you should have installed to begin with......a real driveshaft.
Attaching the U joints to a tree trunk would be a pure PITA to boot... :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Attaching the U joints to a tree trunk would be a pure PITA to boot... :)
Yeah it sure would.....but it would be a first class mechanical novelty :facepalm_zpsdj194qh

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well changed the friction disk on the craftsman all is good now, while
I was at it, I decided to change the friction disk on the 1986 jd 824 which was pretty easy just take out 3 bolts and it comes right out, also changed the axle bushings as the one side with the drive chain had some play so now I'm ready for the 30cm they're calling for tomorrow.
I sold the craftsman and kept old faithful JD

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had put an old rubber disk back on many times (hah hah) including gluing it to try to keep it from slipping off.

It worked until it finally would just not stay on so I sprung for a new rubber disk.

That worked for all this winter then it also mysteriously slipped off (Twice) even though it was practically new.

Here is what the problem was and the fix.

The two plates on either side that have to hold the disc very snuggly had bent or spread apart slightly and were no longer holding the disk firmly.

The solution was to take a pair of vice grips and slowly work around the entire metal disk crimping them slightly closer together. (this is while the disk was still slipped off).

After that those two metal disk plates were able to firmly hold the disk in place even under a lot of stress ( like when your blower just stop forward at a big snowbank).

So, next time it slips off try crimping those plates a little closer together.. You may not even need to buy and replace the **** rubber wheel and you will certainly get snow blowing again without having to wait for parts or repeatedly putting the rubber disc back on again.

Wish I had discovered this sooner and hope it helps a lot of people.

This was on a Craftsman (MTD) 9hp 28 inch Model 247.88790 (2005).

J

1 - 20 of 23 Posts