Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( I've only got 7 or 8 hours ( if that ) on my new snowblower . Today I heard thump-thump-thump :confused: Pulled the belt cover off and every thing appears to be adjusted correctly there .
Pulled the bottom cover and there was a little wear dust in there , but the rubber on the disk has a 2-3" piece flapping around. :(
It is not separated from the metal , it is about half the thickness of the rubber part where it is torn / peeling / whatever you call it.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
:( I've only got 7 or 8 hours ( if that ) on my new snowblower . Today I heard thump-thump-thump :confused: Pulled the belt cover off and every thing appears to be adjusted correctly there .
Pulled the bottom cover and there was a little wear dust in there , but the rubber on the disk has a 2-3" piece flapping around. :(
It is not separated from the metal , it is about half the thickness of the rubber part where it is torn / peeling / whatever you call it.
Can the dealer come and pick it up as it surely is a warranty item.
Just wondering if it is a friction disk defect or if to much pressure is added when the drive handle is pressed, check when not pressed if the left cable is overly tight. Good Luck

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer is picking it up tomorrow ( fri ) . Only one mech in their shop ( I think ) so " I'm on the list " :rolleyes:
Hope it's back by the end of next week .
The cable seems to be adjusted correctly from what I've read here , and the manual .

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They called around noon to ask if they could pick it up in about an hour .
I told them it has been out front waiting for them since 8 am .:rolleyes:
They picked it up around 1 pm.
I hope the line in front of me is not to long.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does every different model have a specific friction disk ??
It seems that one standard disk should cover the deluxe , platinum and plat sho models at least.

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
With your model and serial number you should be able to look up the part number or have the dealer tell you and then run it on some of the parts sites. I know a couple will list "applications" where they list the different machines/years a part fits.
Then you'd know if they recently redesigned something and you actually do have a less common part.

Might also be there was a problem with a run of those friction discs and there's a lot of failures and need for replacements :eek::eek: Unlikely, but you never know.

·
Registered
248 Posts
just wondering what the life expentancy of a friction disk is? i know it's more than seven hours but the rubber looks so thin i can imagine they crap out pretty often. hope i'm wrong .

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
just wondering what the life expentancy of a friction disk is? i know it's more than seven hours but the rubber looks so thin i can imagine they crap out pretty often. hope i'm wrong .
The most important thing about life of friction disk is adjustment of the drive cable or rod so it is not slipping and that no water rest on the drive plate plus keeping it clean.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
I had an old MTD that served me very well for at least 17 years. Hard work too and I changed the original belts and drive disc the last year I had it before selling it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have seen disks last years and wear little.

Pressure was mentioned but also alignment is important too. The further the contact point is above or below the horizontal center line of the friction plate the greater the side force on the rubber wheel that can shear the rubber.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did the dealer say y it failed ?
No . My guess is that it was either a bad batch of disks OR it wasn't quite set up perfectly.
The guys that dropped it off mentioned that this was one of two this week for the same thing. The other was totally peeled off the metal of the disk .:eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts